Night of the Iguana

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I guess you could say that he appeals to my darker, more cynical side. It's like I sense something going on below the surface in him that I am attracted to and curious about...but at the same time sense is almost dangerous.

Can't put a finger on it...but it's that whole moth-to-flame effect.

Oh, I completely get that. When I watched him talking in his interview (it was one of Merv Griffin's) I kept pay attention to his eyes, because they're very expressive and show what he's thinking---which may not have anything to do with what he's actually saying. One moment he's playing "Richard Burton", another moment something would really reach him and the true man inside showed through. He had a mind like few I've ever come in contact with, and the ability to express his thoughts most articulately, never entirely unlaced with a sardonic humor, and of course I'm the world's biggest sucker for that combination. I get the feeling he once had pretty high ideals, and like many idealists, became disillusioned with the world and with themselves.

And when all this comes so attractively packaged, who can resist? He wasn't pretty, he had the kind of rugged looks I prefer.

You and I do have similar tastes, especially in actors and I think it means we have excellent taste, modestly speaking! 8)

Here are the Burton films I have seen, which really aren't that many:

My Cousin Rachel
The Robe
Cleopatra
Look Back in Anger (bits and bobs---Brit kitchen sink dramas take a lot to keep me still, but for him I will do it)
Brief Encounter (this one I think was poorly directed---instead of a remake of the beautiful Noel Coward original, the director seemed only to go for the sordid aspects)
Where Eagles Dare
The V.I.P.s
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?
The Sandpiper (I like this one, believe it or not)
Becket (like you, only in fragments)
Ann of the Thousand Days
The Taming of the Shrew (excellent)
The Bramble Bush (I remember little of it)
The Rains of Ranchipur (only the last half hour)

The one I am most intrigued about seeing is Ice Palace, which was given a glowing report in another forum.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

In my case I loathed "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and had to turn it off because I could not stand it. I really disliked intensely all the film's characters and this is something that very seldom happens to me.

I'm afraid I agree with you, Feaito, about this critically acclaimed movie. The characters just turn me off in the worst way. Burton's most of all. Great acting, I can't disagree, but unwatchable because everything is so unrelievedly sordid.
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:In my case I loathed "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and had to turn it off because I could not stand it. I really disliked intensely all the film's characters and this is something that very seldom happens to me.

I'm afraid I agree with you, Feaito, about this critically acclaimed movie. The characters just turn me off in the worst way. Burton's most of all. Great acting, I can't disagree, but unwatchable because everything is so unrelievedly sordid.
It is kind of strange, because when I watched this film I truly realized that Burton, Liz Taylor and the rest of the cast were giving excellent performances (worthy of Academy Awards, which Taylor won I seem to recall) and that it was a very well done movie, from an "objective" point of view and perhaps very realistically, but I'd rather watch (maybe) more "glamourous" films like "Cat on Hot Tin Roof" or "Suddenly Last Summer" rather than a harsh, unpleasant, rough film like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" with likewise characters.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

MissGoddess wrote:I guess you could say that he appeals to my darker, more cynical side. It's like I sense something going on below the surface in him that I am attracted to and curious about...but at the same time sense is almost dangerous.

Can't put a finger on it...but it's that whole moth-to-flame effect.

Oh, I completely get that. When I watched him talking in his interview (it was one of Merv Griffin's) I kept pay attention to his eyes, because they're very expressive and show what he's thinking---which may not have anything to do with what he's actually saying. One moment he's playing "Richard Burton", another moment something would really reach him and the true man inside showed through. He had a mind like few I've ever come in contact with, and the ability to express his thoughts most articulately, never entirely unlaced with a sardonic humor, and of course I'm the world's biggest sucker for that combination. I get the feeling he once had pretty high ideals, and like many idealists, became disillusioned with the world and with themselves.

And when all this comes so attractively packaged, who can resist? He wasn't pretty, he had the kind of rugged looks I prefer.

You and I do have similar tastes, especially in actors and I think it means we have excellent taste, modestly speaking! 8)

Here are the Burton films I have seen, which really aren't that many:

My Cousin Rachel
The Robe
Cleopatra
Look Back in Anger (bits and bobs---Brit kitchen sink dramas take a lot to keep me still, but for him I will do it)
Brief Encounter (this one I think was poorly directed---instead of a remake of the beautiful Noel Coward original, the director seemed only to go for the sordid aspects)
Where Eagles Dare
The V.I.P.s
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?
The Sandpiper (I like this one, believe it or not)
Becket (like you, only in fragments)
Ann of the Thousand Days
The Taming of the Shrew (excellent)
The Bramble Bush (I remember little of it)
The Rains of Ranchipur (only the last half hour)

The one I am most intrigued about seeing is Ice Palace, which was given a glowing report in another forum.
Well, ICE PALACE sounds particularly appealing to me as well - partly because of Burton, and partly because it is about Alaska (where I lived for many years). I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of Robert Ryan (it might just be the roles I've seen him in, but there is a big difference between cynical (Burton) and bitter (Ryan) )...but the the theme of the film sounds intriguing to me.

I'm also particularly interested in THE TAMING OF THE SHREW (although again, I'm gonna have to be in the mood), THE ROBE, and MY COUSIN RACHEL. And, of course, LOOK BACK IN ANGER...which is why I purchased it.

And by the way, I like THE SANDPIPER too. Do alot of people not like it or something? Cus I quite enjoyed it. And I loved his character in that film - this guy who knew he should stay away, but couldn't for the life of him! :lol: One of those films where his character is IN THE PROCESS of making a big mistake. :lol: But of course, you WANTED him to, so it was okay.

One film I see is not on your list is THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD. WOW! You need to see that one - Burton at his cynical best! :lol: This is the film, by the way, where he really got my attention. I'd seen a couple of others - NIGHT OF THE IGUANA being one of them. But THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD is where I became a groupie.

But one thing about that film though - you really have to pay attention or you can get kinda confused about 3/4 of the way through as to who is working for who and who is betraying who! Total dark, grim, gritty, Cold War drama.

Interesting comment regarding his cynicism - that he might have been an idealist-gone-sour. I agree - it's a strong possibility. I don't own any books about him, and I only own one on Elizabeth Taylor. I should really read up on BOTH of them - THEY are film stars I actually remember from my childhood, whereas most of my favorites were dead either before I was born or very shortly afterwards.

I've never seen any interviews with him - I'd be interested in seeing something like that....especially after your comments about the Merv Griffin interview.

There is just *something* - and it's something decidedly 'dark', about that man that has me curious.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

>>>And by the way, I like THE SANDPIPER too. Do alot of people not like it or something? Cus I quite enjoyed it. And I loved his character in that film - this guy who knew he should stay away, but couldn't for the life of him! One of those films where his character is IN THE PROCESS of making a big mistake. But of course, you WANTED him to, so it was okay. <<<

It sometimes makes it onto "worst of" or "trashiest" lists, though most people do admire the score by Johnny Mandel ("The Shadow of Your Smile", by the way, is my all-time favorite song. The music from this movie is simply transporting). I love it, though, and have the Taylor/Burton box set on my wish list just because The Sandpiper is included and I want that nice dvd-quality image. One of the stories I am writing is set in the Big Sur area because I think it one of the most romantic and haunting landscapes in this country. I also find the growing attraction and relationship between him and Elizabeth to be genuinely interesting. I see a little of myself in her character and that may be the main reason I'm drawn to it.

Now, I don't know how I did I leave off THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD? I have seen it many times. It's one of those films that successfully captures a specific mood---a drizzly, melancholy "grey" mood that permeates every scene and even Burton's character. I find it very tragic and so I don't watch it often, but when I do, I'm mesmerized. It may be his best work on screen. Ghastly how someone can be used as a pawn in these international games people play.

I do have good news, you can get the Merv Griffin interview easily, either to buy or rent it from Netflix, etc...it's contained within his "40 Most Interesting People of Our Time" compilation, but I'm unsure exactly which disc his interview can be found. Here are details:

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Merv_G ... 457760_0_0
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:
MissGoddess wrote:In my case I loathed "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and had to turn it off because I could not stand it. I really disliked intensely all the film's characters and this is something that very seldom happens to me.

It is kind of strange, because when I watched this film I truly realized that Burton, Liz Taylor and the rest of the cast were giving excellent performances (worthy of Academy Awards, which Taylor won I seem to recall) and that it was a very well done movie, from an "objective" point of view and perhaps very realistically, but I'd rather watch (maybe) more "glamourous" films like "Cat on Hot Tin Roof" or "Suddenly Last Summer" rather than a harsh, unpleasant, rough film like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" with likewise characters.
My sentiments exactly. Unfortunately, I have rather a long list of films that fall into this category! :lol:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

>>>And by the way, I like THE SANDPIPER too. Do alot of people not like it or something? Cus I quite enjoyed it. And I loved his character in that film - this guy who knew he should stay away, but couldn't for the life of him! One of those films where his character is IN THE PROCESS of making a big mistake. But of course, you WANTED him to, so it was okay. <<<

It sometimes makes it onto "worst of" or "trashiest" lists, though most people do admire the score by Johnny Mandel ("The Shadow of Your Smile", by the way, is my all-time favorite song. The music from this movie is simply transporting). I love it, though, and have the Taylor/Burton box set on my wish list just because The Sandpiper is included and I want that nice dvd-quality image. One of the stories I am writing is set in the Big Sur area because I think it one of the most romantic and haunting landscapes in this country.

Well yeah - the cinematography during both the opening and closing credits is really great - that song is wonderful...and combined with that scenery is just perfect. And totally fits the mood of the picture.

Might be one of my favorite opening/closing credit sequences ever, in fact.

Never thought of the film as trashy though. I don't know...maybe at the time they thought so...but maybe it's a bit ahead of it's time or something...because I find the whole 'staid clergyman getting involved with this free-spirited bohemian artist contrary to his better judgment' theme to be quite fascinating. And I thought they both did a great job with their roles.

Frankly, I think that the themes in that picture would work, even today. Or maybe even MORE SO today.
I also find the growing attraction and relationship between him and Elizabeth to be genuinely interesting.
Ditto.
I see a little of myself in her character and that may be the main reason I'm drawn to it.
HA! I nearly wrote this exact line in my last post.

Imagine that. :P

Explains alot.

Now, I don't know how I did I leave off THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD? I have seen it many times. It's one of those films that successfully captures a specific mood---a drizzly, melancholy "grey" mood that permeates every scene and even Burton's character. I find it very tragic and so I don't watch it often, but when I do, I'm mesmerized. It may be his best work on screen. Ghastly how someone can be used as a pawn in these international games people play.
Which is exactly the point. Of course it's tragic in the end - don't want to spoil it for anyone else in the thread so I won't say how....but what is interesting is that you get the feeling that by that time, the character is so disillusioned that he doesn't even care. He safeguards the ONE thing on earth he is not disillusioned with...and the rest of it? Not worth it anymore.

Interesting statement. And really, the perfect actor to be making it.

I do have good news, you can get the Merv Griffin interview easily, either to buy or rent it from Netflix, etc...it's contained within his "40 Most Interesting People of Our Time" compilation, but I'm unsure exactly which disc his interview can be found. Here are details:

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Merv_G ... 457760_0_0
Thanks for that link! I'll check it out & see who some of the people are! :)

By the way, I hope I didn't screw up your post too much. The first time I tried to post this reply, I hit 'edit' rather than 'quote' on your post (admins can do that). Anyway, I think I got it back like you had it...but if it is missing a comment, then it's my fault. The 'edit' and 'quote' buttons here are in the opposite positions of the way they are on TrekBBS (where I also have god-like powers :P ), and unless I'm really careful (which I usually am), I can screw things up in someone else's post quite easily. Go me! :P
Last edited by pktrekgirl on October 5th, 2007, 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
benwhowell

"You used to drink bergen, too."

Post by benwhowell »

I love "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?" I've always admired Mike Nichols for tackling "provocative" books/plays that seem difficult to adapt for the screen. He rarely disappoints and "...Virginia Woolf?" was his directorial debut and his best.
Edward Albee is another favorite playwright. He is a master at "exploring" the dark side of human nature. It's cool that Albee pays "homage" to Tennessee Williams with the line from "A Streetcar..." "Flores...flores para los muertos." Ernest Lehman did a great job at adapting his play for the screen. I've read that Albee's only complaints about the movie were the overhead shots...
The performances are all wonderful. Haven't we all known a couple like George and Martha-who play these "wicked" games and try enlist other "players?" It must be really draining to do Albee.
Years ago, for a movie audition, I chose a piece from "Zoo Story-" "THE STORY OF JERRY AND THE DOG." It is an intense and animate speech. I was "forced" to do the audition sitting in a chair and looking into a video camera! This really screwed up my audition. Needless to say, I didn't get the part...
I also love the (Oscar winning) cinematography of Haskell Wexler.
Handsome Johnny Eck
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I have been busy most of the week and wanted to respond to this thread, but did not have the time. Night of the Iguana is one of my personal favorites. I love all the actors in the film (my fave Ava role along with Pandora) and really like the spiritual aspects it explores.

Many people define who they are by what they do, but NOTI strips that fallacy away to explore the characters hearts and motives behind deeds. It also deals with human frailty and our inability to live up to our own ideals. We all make compromises and contradict ourselves in life, but like Burton's character discovers, to fail is not to be a failure. It's only those who give up on life and spurn the most precious gift we have that have truly lost hope. Each day of life is a chance to start anew.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

NOTI strips that fallacy away to explore the characters hearts and motives behind deeds. It also deals with human frailty and our inability to live up to our own ideals. We all make compromises and contradict ourselves in life, but like Burton's character discovers, to fail is not to be a failure. It's only those who give up on life and spurn the most precious gift we have that have truly lost hope. Each day of life is a chance to start anew.

You found it, the reason I really like this film. I cannot always explain why and I was hoping by posting this thread I'd find the answer. I think you did so very nicely, Joel.

I also get the feeling Burton could identify with his character quite a bit.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Beda---I think you are quite correct about Sandpiper's themes being more accepted today (I hope). Funny imagining Burton as a minister, I don't know why, though---that hidden idealism within him must be what drew him to the characters in the first place. I can just hear him saying, "Nah, it was the money." Hee!

The Merv Griffin interviews are fantastic---especially Orson Welles and John Huston and Jack Benny. But I came away most affected by Burton's surly appearance. :wink:

And I didn't notice anything different in my post, so I never would have known you hit "edit"---unless you added improvements, which it could use!
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Surprisingly, however, he played a fair number of ministers. In NOTI, in THE SANDPIPER, and in BECKET. And in some films made much later - that Exorcist film...and one or two others where he plays a priest.

It's not a huge number or anything...but many actors go through their entire careers without playing a single clergyman. Burton played at least 5 that I know of - maybe more!

However, Spencer Tracy need not fear - Burton's brand of minister isn't the sort you'd see in BOYS TOWN or SAN FRANCISCO! :lol:

By the way, because of this thread I got on Amazon Marketplace over the weekend and ordered a couple of books about him. I don't know anything about the authors (hopefully I didn't buy a book by another one of those scandal-hounds)...but all of this talk about Richard Burton made me curious. All that I know about him I got out of a book I have about Elizabeth Taylor...and I'd like to read about him from a book or two about HIM! The books were way cheap, by the way!
~ Gary Cooper
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi, Beda! Let me know if either of those Burton biographies are any good---I might want to get a copy myself.

I hadn't realized he played so many "men of the cloth"!