Sunday Dinner with a Soldier (1944)

moira finnie
Administrator

Sunday Dinner with a Soldier (1944)

Post by moira finnie »

Sunday Dinner for a Soldier (1944) has some powerful moments and endearing flaws, at least for me. This wartime story, centered around a poor family's charitable (and a bit prideful) attempt to have a random soldier home for a meal, has quite a bit of charm, especially in the scenes when it doesn't push the bathos too much.

Some of the better things that struck me about this movie are in the detailed attention paid to the characters' everyday life, which range from the specific to the universal, with varying degrees of success.

Some of the substantive details that bring this story to life are: the real West Coast of Florida setting, (Tarpon Springs, Florida--an unusual choice in a '40s movie), the worries about money, and the implication that being poor but happy may not be a perfect life choice--at least when it is a choice, the desire for any young woman for something pretty to wear, the palpable tenuousness of life--especially when one builds a nest at so precarious a spot on the coast, and the utter, seemingly random pattern of any life, as exemplified by the appearance of a likable actor whose star never really rose in Hollywood, John Hodiak--who just happens to be walking on a beach at the right moment, (like a good deus ex machina should be.)

I also like the appearances of Jane Darwell and Ann Revere in smaller but significant roles, but then, I almost always welcome these gals in just about any movie. Chill Wills, as the compassionate realist who drives the bus route that runs near the family's ramshackle home, almost steals every scene he appears in during this movie, even when such heartbreakers as child actors Bobby Driscoll and Billy Cummings give him some creditable competition in their scenes together. Come to think of it, Mr. Wills also did very nicely that same year in Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) as a philosophical iceman, opposite another natural master scene stealer disguised as a child, Margaret O'Brien.

Despite these sometimes moving and occasionally slick moments tugging at one's heart strings, there is one outstanding true moment in this movie. It is that beautifully played scene when, after one more chaotic day in their grandfather's household in the decaying houseboat that they call home, the two weary sisters in this family snuggle together getting ready to sleep and wind up discussing the absence, (or is it the presence?), of their dead parents. The way that the younger sister (Connie Marshall, whose sad eyes have seen far too much in her brief life), and the eldest child, (Ann Baxter, who gives one of her less affected performances here as the mainstay of a family adrift), try to discuss this without giving in to despair or sentimentality, enabling them both to live with a kind of practical optimism, is very touching. The worried, doubtful look on Miss Marshall's face and her inability to tailor her emotions to the task at hand--as her capable older sister seems to be able to do--makes this movie worth your time.
Connie Marshall, who went on to play even sadder children in Sentimental Journey and Daisy Kenyon, and an amusingly precocious and worldly kid in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, was clearly an accomplished spellbinder at age 11, when this movie was made. From what I gather, she was one more kid actor who was dropped like a hot potato once her usefulness as a guileless youngster faded.

My biggest quibble with this movie is the way that the often good character actor, Charles Winninger, is apparently encouraged to overplay the feeble comic scenes he is given, which get a bit wearing after the 27th exclamation of "Grandfeathers" from one of the kids. I like Winninger, particularly his blend of the buffoonish with the sentimental in Destry Rides Again (1939), but that and other roles would indicate that he was capable of giving a slightly more subtle turn on a walking cliché, no?

Still, this would seem to be a near perfect movie for holiday viewing. It will be shown next on FMC on Wed., Nov. 7th at 7:30 AM ET.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Moira,

Your excellent review piqued my curiosity, but it seems that this film is not available in any format. Anyhow, Cinecanal Classics has aired some very interesting Paramount, Fox and Universal films lately, so I don't lose hope of watching this film. I'm also curious about Hodiak's films "A Bell for Adano" and "Somewhere in the Night". Have you seen them?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I wish that I had the equipment to record films, but unfortunately, Sunday Dinner for A Soldier is one of many that I'd like to have and share. "Sunday Dinner...", "A Bell for Adano" and "Somewhere in the Night" do show up on occasion on the Fox Movie Channel available on many cable systems in the U.S. Perhaps you could make a trade for a recording of these movies in The Marketplace area of this site, 'Nando?

I've seen both A Bell for Adano and Somewhere in the Night and enjoyed the very different stories. A Bell for Adano (1945), based on a fine book by John Hersey about the impact of an American on a recent fascist town in Italy, has good performances by Hodiak and especially by William Bendix, who, along with Harry Morgan and Richard Conte (in a small role as an Italian POW), almost steal the movie. The only thing I don't think works well in this movie is the casting of Gene Tierney as a strikingly blonde Italian girl. She's lovely, reminding the viewer of a Botticelli with an overbite, but more than a bit unlikely. The clash of cultures theme is, of course, always full of possibilities and the filmmakers did a nice job of contrasting the sometimes wary Italians with the sometimes blunt Americans.

Somewhere in the Night (1946) is available on dvd and as an early noirish effort from first time director Joseph Mankiewicz it is pretty interesting. Though I've read several harsh critiques of John Hodiak's and Nancy Guild's casting, they both seem to be rather depressed characters, whose moods reflected the somber atmosphere they live in throughout this movie. Hodiak's character, after all, does suffer from amnesia, so some uncertainty on his part is to be expected, no? The supporting cast, which includes the reliable pros Lloyd Nolan and Richard Conte add greatly to this film too.

I'm particularly fond of John Hodiak as an actor, and wonder if he might have been a bit better on stage* than he ever was in the movies. As with several MGM contract players at the time, they never seemed to know what to do with this nice looking everyman with the wolfish grin and the beautiful speaking voice. His best work, such as Lifeboat, this movie and Desert Fury, seem to have been done away from Culver City.

* I recently read an interview with James Garner who was hired to be one of the silent Naval judges for the Broadway play of The Caine Mutiny in the early '50s. According to Garner, he had his first and best lessons in concentration, acting and professionalism night after night from Henry Fonda, Lloyd Nolan and John Hodiak as he observed them closely in the speaking parts of this play.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for answering Moira. It's good to know that "Somewhere in the Night" is available on DVD. Hodiak is superb in "Lifeboat" and I liked him too in "The Harvey Girls". I think I also have seen him in three lesser known films: "Marriage is a Private Affair", "Song of Russia" and "Malaya". But that was in the '80s and I do not remember those films very well.

Ah! he's also very good in "Battleground"
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

moira:

As usual your review of Sunday Dinner . . . was intriguing and grabbed me. I saw it so many years ago it is just a dim memory for me, but I do recall enjoying it immensely. Someday I'll see it again, but in the meantime, your review almost makes me feel like I was there with you.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Gee, thanks Anne!
It turns out that, according to metsfan, this movie is being shown again on Fox Movie Channel on Dec 30th at 6AM. I hope that you can catch it or perhaps ask someone with a recorder to make a copy for you.
rainingviolets21

Sunday Dinner For a Soldier

Post by rainingviolets21 »

Did anyone but me notice the title on the pinball machine toward the end of the film...I thought I was seeing things..well it was during the war, so I understand..
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Did anyone but me notice the title on the pinball machine toward the end of the film...I thought I was seeing things..well it was during the war, so I understand..
I can't recall it. Could you mention what it was please?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
rainingviolets21

Sunday dinner for a soldier

Post by rainingviolets21 »

Okay -here goes ..it's KILL A JAP ...I hope I didn't offend