Love Letters (1945)

feaito

Love Letters (1945)

Post by feaito »

Still another film which I had seen as a boy and never had watched again until now. I must have been an extremely melancholy kid, since my childhood’s fondest film memories are related to such dramas as Garbo’s and Vivien Leigh’s versions of “Anna Karenina”, John Ford’s “Mary of Scotland”, “Portrait of Jennie” et al.

Something happens to me with Jennifer Jones; she definitely “does something to me”. Although her performances might have some flaws for some critics and other film buffs, she has an absolute mesmerizing ethereal quality that totally bewitches and wins me over, especially in such films as “Love Letters”, “Portrait of Jennie” and “Madame Bovary”. Her dreamy expressive eyes, her beautiful smile, her cheeks and her soft voice, among other many assets, are truly spellbinding. It’s more than her acting ability that attracts me, it is a certain magic she has, something ethereal, otherworldly and unexplainable that makes her ideal for this kind of roles, portraying frail, delicate, feminine women; the ultimate dream of any romantic man, such as the characters played in the two former films by Mr. Joseph Cotten, who gives another masterful performance in this film.

Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten made four pictures together, but by far my two favourites are “Portrait of Jennie” and “Love Letters”, both directed by William Dieterle. I’d nominate both actors as the most romantic cinematic couple that ever existed.

This film deals with romantic longing, with Platonic love, with two soul mates that fall in love via letters, the “love” letters of the title. A fragile, yet determined, sweet, young, unhappily married woman who clings to her memories of the man she believes to be her husband, represented by this letters which she thinks were written by him before they were married, when in fact they were written by another man she’s never met… a man whose life has never been the same after writing these letters to help an Army buddy during the Second World War… a man who after returning to England, wounded from action in Italy, retreats in his solace, secluded and almost isolated from everybody and everything in the English countryside, to live through his memories of a woman he loves, but who has never met.

I was so pleased of having being able to rediscover this wondrous film, which has only grown stronger in my soul as an adult –sometimes revisiting films from our childhood becomes a disenchanting and disillusioning experience, this not being the case at all.

What a joy to see dear Cecil Kellaway –who’s also part of the cast of “Portrait of Jennie”- as one of the supporting players in this movie, as Cotten’s “Gargoyle” Gardener. Ann Richards, a forgotten actress from the 1940s, gives a beautiful, sincere, luminous performance as Ms. Jones’ best friend. Anita Louise is charming as Cotten’s ex-fiancée, and they have a very believable scene in which they realize they’ve fallen out of love with each other. Gladys Cooper is excellent –as usual- as Jones’ embittered, sombre aunt.

Two more pluses: author Ayn Rand wrote the adapted screenplay and Victor Young composed the haunting main theme.

The director of this film, Mr. William Dieterle, deserves to have his career re-evaluated. After all he was responsible for these landmark romantic classics and for such vintage gems as “All That Money Can Buy” (1941), “Jewel Robbery” (1932), “Juarez” (1939), “A Midsummer’s Night Dream” (1935), “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” (1939), “The Story of Louis Pasteur” (1936) and “The Life of Emile Zola” (1937), among others.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Ah, Nando, here is a perfect example of the elusive quality of stars that affects us in an entirely individual way: I don't like Jones or Cotten.

I think Jones was not a very good actress. She has a style that reminds me of the child actresses of the day. I think her looks are average; I dislike that perpetual little smirk she seems to have - maybe it was the result of plastic surgery. Frankly, if she hadn't been Mrs. David O. Selznick, I don't think she would have gotten very far.

As for Joseph Cotten - although I find him a perfectly good actor, and I can bear him for his courtly manner and elegant speech, I think he's one of the most unappetizing looking men in Hollywood - I can't stand his face. I have exactly the same reaction to David Niven. Fine actor, horrible looks.

Your description of Love Letters is very eloquent, and certainly heartfelt. However, in this case I don't think I can give it a second look, because I can't see myself looking at these two for more than five minutes without changing the channel.
feaito

Post by feaito »

jdb1 wrote:I think Jones was not a very good actress. She has a style that reminds me of the child actresses of the day. I think her looks are average; I dislike that perpetual little smirk she seems to have - maybe it was the result of plastic surgery. Frankly, if she hadn't been Mrs. David O. Selznick, I don't think she would have gotten very far.
There are quite some people that feel exactly like you regarding Jennifer Jones. She has even been compared with Norma Shearer as the example of career driven stars lacking acting talent, who without the support of their respective powerful husbands wouldn't have reached far.

Every point of view is valid, but I feel that in any case Ms. Jones was the better actress. Maybe Ms. Shearer had the greater "star quality".
As for Joseph Cotten - although I find him a perfectly good actor, and I can bear him for his courtly manner and elegant speech, I think he's one of the most unappetizing looking men in Hollywood - I can't stand his face. I have exactly the same reaction to David Niven. Fine actor, horrible looks.
Beauty is on the eye of the beholder :wink:
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

feaito - I know I saw Love Letters earlier this year on TCM for the first time. I wish I had recorded it, because although I remember I liked it, the film just didn't make as much an impression on me as Portrait of Jennie. But should it play again, I'm sure I would watch it again.

As to Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten; I'm kind of with jdb1 on her assesment of JC's appeal, he does nothing for me either, but that would not stop me from watching one of his films. I have a much higher opinion of JJ - I do think she has a special unique beauty; she appeals more to me than other stars, such as Merle Oberon, Marlene Deitrich. And I think she can be a quite good actress, depending on the role - very good in Madame Bovary, and impressive in Song of Bernadette.

I too would like to see a William Dieterle tribute on TCM. He was a director I was not familiar with until I started watching more films on TCM, and in addition to the films you listed I would add Another Dawn, and The Devil and Daniel Webster.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Jezebel,

"Portrait of Jennie" is still my top film too, but "Love Letters" is a close runner-up.

As for Joseph Cotten I think he's a very talented actor, ideally suited for the roles he played opposite Jennifer. I can't really talk about his appeal, but I realize that he may not be as attractive to women in general as an Errol Flynn or a Tyrone Power.