Home Before Dark

rainingviolets21

Home Before Dark

Post by rainingviolets21 »

the film begins with a car entering a hopital, we see a woman with blonde hair getting in the car with her husband, as the camera gets closer we see her hair isn't blonde it is white. She is actually a young woman, named Charlotte, played by Jean Simmons who has white hair and she looks very ill. As the car moves down the highway we see her thoughts, as she relives her young life, her mother died when she was five and her father remarried a young widow with a pretty blonde daughter. Her father became quite taken with tthe blonde child and avoided her because she looked like his dead wife, so she began to emulate her blonde stepsister Joan. She talks like Joan , dresses like Joan, even lowers her straight A
report card to be more like her sister, as the girls grow up her father dies and the three live together till one summer Joan and her mother go to Europe and Charlotte falls in love with her college professor, Arnold, he is quite taken with her, loves her sense of humor and her the way she has of
her using the word Ducky when she can't remember the name of something, after a whirlwind courtship they are married, as they were about to leave on their honeymoon, Joan and her mother come
home, immediately Arnold notices a strikng personality simularity between his new wife and her sister, and as he gets to know her realizes he has married a Joan Facsimile, Charlotte realizes this when they are on a business trip and staying at a hotel, it was the old story they liked her until they met Joan, so she decides to become as like Joan as she can . She buys a new evening gown , and a pair of evening shoes(in Joans Sizes )and first she goes to a hairdresser and has her hair bleached and styled exactly like her step-sister, then joins her husband and his friends in the hotel dining room, as she is walking toward their table her gown and shoes are falling off, she reaches the table and announces I'm Joan, Arnold's wife. A hush falls over the dining room as Arnold and the rest of the diners realize she has lost her mind, The rest of the movie deals with the treatment she receives at the state mental hospital...I regard this film as Jean Simmons best screen performance..and NO nomination at Oscar time... this story was taken from a novel by Ilene Bassing
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I saw this film as a pre-teen, and if I didn't understand all the undertones, I certainly understood that kiss between Ms. Simmons and Mr. Zimbalist. Wowsers! I would love to revisit this film as an adult to see if my memories are correct. (and I've had a crush on Mr. Zimbalist for over 50 years! :oops: :oops: )
rainingviolets21

Home Before Dark

Post by rainingviolets21 »

Yes, Yes, that kiss is the sexiest kiss ever put on film, I have requested this film on TCM, but so far no answer....