Wild is the Wind (1958)

MissGoddess

Wild is the Wind (1958)

Post by MissGoddess »

Has anyone seen this movie? I may record it tonight just because it has Tony Quinn marrying Anna Magnani who for some unfathomable reason (to me) prefers his son, Tony Franciosa, over him. And it's directed by George Cukor (and John Sturges). Sounds like quite a concoction.

Here's TCM's article on it:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid ... y=Articles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Well, Miss G., a "concoction", might just be the best word for this film, based on the 1947 Italian film Furia, which had starred Rossano Brazzi and Isa Pola. Oddly, or perhaps not so coincidentally, WITW also bears some resemblance to the Anthony Perkins-Sophia Loren take on O'Neill's Desire Under the Elms (1957) and the Charles Laughton-Carole Lombard flick They Knew What They Wanted (1940). In any case, there's a heap of acting going on in these movies.

In any case, here's the good news, from my dim adolescent memories, when last I clapped eyes on this fascinatin' flick:

1.)Anna Magnani is a force of nature even when though she was uncomfortable acting in English.

2.)Anthony Franciosa's calf-love--oops, make that lamb-love in this movie setting, is fairly credible, even though we both know that everyday is graduation day from the Actor's Studio when Tony's working his mojo.

3.)Dolores Hart, (an actress I'd liked as a result of seeing her with Montgomery Clift in Lonelyhearts), is very good in an underwritten part--though I wonder if the on and off set examples of flawed human relationships might have contributed to her choosing the convent...hey,watch out for that lightning bolt aimed at me by a higher power, April!!

4.) For some reason, I seem to recall falling in love with the natural setting in this movie which was filmed--i believe--in the high country around Carson City, Nevada. I was always a big 4-H kid, but after seeing the lambing scene with Magnani & Franciosa, I'd longed to be a shepherdess (for some undoubtedly adolescent hormonal reason), though I now know that you have to watch where you step when working with sheep (and don't turn your back on the ram!).

5.) This is a very interesting movie in the George Cukor canon for some of the following reasons: it's outside in the real world--not the studio. None of the people in the film are really what might be termed Cukor "types" and the film deals with people who are very inarticulate about their feelings and the choices they make in life.In a sense, this movie could be seen as a companion piece with the Judy Holliday-Aldo Ray movie, The Marrying Kind (1952) and one of my favorite films of his, Heller in Pink Tights (1960) about a group of actors travelling through the Badlands in the 1800s. Btw, from what I've read about the shenanigans pulled by some of the big egos (to go with their big talents) on this movie, Cukor should have received the Croix de Guerre for directing Wild is the Wind.

See if this movie makes a shepherdess out of you, kid.

That Anna Magnani, she's just a poor little come un agnello, who has lost her way in this movie. (how do you say "baa" in Italian?).
Now that you got me strolling down movie memory lane, I'm thinking of setting my alarm clock for this movie.
Last edited by moira finnie on February 6th, 2008, 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Is this the one about the Basques (Basque-Americans, that is)?

My mother dragged to that one when I was little, and I didn't know what "Basque" was, so when Franciosa was referred to as a "crazy Basque," I thought they were saying "crazy bast**d."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

jdb1 wrote:Is this the one about the Basques (Basque-Americans, that is)?

My mother dragged to that one when I was little, and I didn't know what "Basque" was, so when Franciosa was referred to as a "crazy Basque," I thought they were saying "crazy bast**d."
I'd say that you're right on all counts, Miss Judith. :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

2.)Anthony Franciosa's calf-love--oops, make that lamb-love in this movie setting, is fairly credible, even though we both know that everyday is graduation day from the Actor's Studio when Tony's working his mojo.

Ha haaa! I'm still laughing at that one. I'll be honest and say my only hesitation about recording it is that Parma Ham, Franciosa. But, MY "Tony" (Quinn) is tempting me. If I don't record it this time I saw they are showing it again in March.

3.)Dolores Hart, (an actress I'd liked as a result of seeing her with Montgomery Clift in Lonelyhearts), is very good in an underwritten part--though I wonder if the on and off set examples of flawed human relationships might have contributed to her choosing the convent...hey,watch out for that lightning bolt aimed at me by a higher power, April!!

Two zingers! Hee! Dolores Hart reminds me of Grace Kelly with a less affected-sounding speech. I like her very much and can only imagine what must have gone through her mind while on location with that troupe (something like "what convent is the furthest geographically from Hollywood?")

Judith -- If they are playing Basques, then I am still more intrigued.
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote:[

4.) For some reason, I seem to recall falling in love with the natural setting in this movie which was filmed--i believe--in the high country around Carson City, Nevada. I was always a big 4-H kid, but after seeing the lambing scene with Magnani & Franciosa, I'd longed to be a shepherdess (for some undoubtedly adolescent hormonal reason), though I now know that you have to watch where you step when working with sheep (and don't turn your back on the ram!).

See if this movie makes a shepherdess out of you, kid.

That Anna Magnani, she's just a poor little come un agnello, who has lost her way in this movie. (how do you say "baa" in Italian?).
Now that you got me strolling down movie memory lane, I'm thinking of setting my alarm clock for this movie.
Moira;

Just wanted to fank you for sharing those personal insights & anecdotes with us; ewe are far more than just a fair wether friend, but rather someone who wool never fold under pressure, whatever the hurtle!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But enough unsolicited livestock punnery -
Really just wanted to suggest that anyone who would like to see a more forthcoming depiction of Basque culture in a film, should try catching-up with an off-beat Western called Thunder in the Sun.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I recorded this as I'm a fan of both stars, but haven't had a chance to watch yet. Anybody see it?