Europa 51 (1952)

Mr. Arkadin

Europa 51 (1952)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Deleted by Mr. Arkadin
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on August 3rd, 2008, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

What struck me after seeing EUROPA '51 for the first time this week was the thematic similarity, albeit updated, with Dreyer's THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC. In each film, the representatives of society's leading institutional forces (played largely by males) unleash their power on a person (played by a female) who becomes an outsider because she sees and follows a force more powerful than theirs.

Although the institutions of society appear to prevail by isolating or further marginalizing the female -- burning St. Joan for her madness, hospitalizing Irene for hers -- the directors allow the audience to see that Joan's and Irene's power is so loving and all-encompassing that it has the potential to transform society. "I’m here now—I’ll stay with you always," is an overwhelming emotional statement spoken with a quiet, but resolute, forcefulness.

Having seen VOYAGE TO ITALY about three years ago and not being moved at all by it (perhaps because I was expecting something more in a Neo-Realist vein), I now want to revisit that film.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles