The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) on TCM in...2 minutes!

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Indeed. Much better than the 1956 remake. I also like Edna Best's role here as a strong woman as opposed to Doris Day's more milksop role.

To be fair to Doris, she did a good job with what was written for her, and the scene when she discovers Hank is kidnapped is probably one of the most emotional parts she's ever done.

One amazing tidbit about Lorre here, is that he did not know English at this point, so he learned and spoke his lines phonetically.

Still, the original is just so much better in terms of actors, pacing, and style. The church scene is both suspenseful and comedic. The scene with the dentist chair is another avenue of life which people can personally relate to. :P Finally, this has one of the best end climaxes in film, whereas the modern version just creaks along after the Albert Hall number. A great film.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This version has much more depth to it than than the remake. Even if the remake contained James Stewart. Hitchcock couldn't match the atomosphere of the earlier film or the villainy of Peter Lorre.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I will take Peter Lorre over Doris Day any day of the week, and a month of Sundays. A version with Lorre and James Stewart together would have been very interesting.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I must be star-struck as someone intimated because I do prefer the 1956 version, although I would never refer to myself as a Doris fan, and I could not stand the little boy, but Stewart was my main focus through the whole movie and I guess with this one, I needed the color, and locations shooting.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

The Man Who Knew Too Much is the only one of Hitchcock's fifties films I don't care for. It doesn't even feel like a Hitchcock film to me. I know that sounds silly, but I know what I mean :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I know where you are coming from with Vertigo. It's not one of the strongest Hitchcocks.