The Black Legion

ken123

The Black Legion

Post by ken123 »

Is a film that is included in the the six film Warner Bros Gangsters Vol 3. It stars Humphrey Bogart, Ann Sheridan ( who was called a " brassy blonde " in the audio commentary ) , Dick Foran, and Erin O' Brien - Moore.It deals with a real secret society, that was active in the 1930's mainly in Michigan, whose goal was to achieve a 100% white and immigrant free America. History does repeat inself. IMHO is is too bad that many members of the then persecuted groups are now the most vocal in the fear of " the other ".

Other film in the DVD set include - Brother Orchid, Picture Snatcher, Lady Killer, The Mayor of Hell, and Smart Money which stars Eddie G and Jimmy Cagney in their only screen pairing. Cagney also stars in Picture Snatcher, Lady Killer, with Mae Clarke, and The Mayor of Hell.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oooh, Ken! This sounded great. I love Picture Snatcher in particular. If you purchased Vol. 3 could you please tell me if you liked any of the dvd extras as well?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I don't think I'd recommend this package for the few bonus features. They seem to be limited to either each film's trailer, and/or cartoons or a short which could be merely time-based (same year of production?). I could only recommend this package for fans of the films, first and foremost, not as 'homework' for film students.

When the CLASSIC FILM NOIR Double-Series Set came out last year or so, each of those included a per-film 4-5 minute interview bonus which was fairly top-notch. (These titles included TENSION, CRIME WAVE, ACT OF VIOLENCE, THEY LIVE BY NIGHT.) I could almost recommend that set for its bonus features alone.

I couldn't do that for this VOL 3 set, however, but I think every Cagney, Edward G and Bogart film will find the films to be wonderful additions to their collections.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

moirafinnie wrote:Oooh, Ken! This sounded great. I love Picture Snatcher in particular. If you purchased Vol. 3 could you please tell me if you liked any of the dvd extras as well?

Moira,
All six films come with audio commentaries, and all are quite good with The Black legion's commentary the least good of the bunch. Picture Snatcher's commentary is also a very enthusiastic one by Jeffrey Vance & Tony Maiette who talk a mile a minute.Trailers & Warners Night at the Movies. A Bonus Trailer is included in thge PS DVD> The commentary for The mayor of Hell, by Greg Mank, icludes plenty of info on featurred player, the Irish born and Abby Theatre vet Dudley Diggs. A nice set of Warners gangsterish film. Cagney MAY surprise you in Smart Money with Eddie G !! :wink:
raftfan

Post by raftfan »

I'd have to say that with only a couple of exceptions, this is probably Warners weakest "Gangster" box set. With so many genuine gangster films in the Warner library - such as "20,000 Years in Sing Sing", "Kid Galahad", "Doorway to Hell", "Invisible Stripes", "The Big Shot", "Out of the Fog", etc., I really can't understand why a film such as "Black Legion", that really has nothing to do with the underworld. was included (would have been a better addition to the next Bogie box set). "The Mayor of Hell" and "Lady Killer" (though I'll watch ANYTHING with Jimmy) were also curious selections.

But I don't want to gripe too much since I'm counting on Warners to keep the series going. And the film transfers DO look great!