Wilson and An American President

stuart.uk

Wilson and An American President

Post by stuart.uk »

Two movies, one factual, the other fictional. however, both share a similiar theme in that the serving President in both movies is a widower, who remarries.

Alexander Knox probably gives his career best performance as Woodrow Wilson, America's President during WW1. likewise Michael Douglas is outstanding as a strongly pricipled President, who falls in love with Annette Benning. the cast also included Martin Sheen and Michael J Fox.

I wonder if i could ask my American friends something that interests me. in An American President, Douglas had a early teenage daughter. i was just wondering if she was, though the film never said, 1st Lady or was she to young. in the fictional Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, potential President Claude Rains is a widower with an adult daughter, who as the film suggests would if her father was elected become 1st Lady. what i'd like to know is there ever been a 1st Lady in the Whitehouse, who was a daughter, rather than a wife.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alice Roosevelt served as first lady for her father, Theodore.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I thought it was Edith Rosevelt, his wife, that was first lady between 1901-09. i know Alice went to Japan on a political mission for her father.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

President James Buchanan's niece Harriet Lane acted as "First Lady" for him. According to whitehouse.gov she was quite popular.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

You're probably right Stuart, I didn't check my facts first. Shame on me!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard