I'll Be Seeing You (1944)

MissGoddess

I'll Be Seeing You (1944)

Post by MissGoddess »

I'll Be Seeing You has been a favorite of mine forever; I just
watched it again today and must admit it keeps getting better. I put it
right up there with The Best Years of Our Lives, Until They Sail and
Till the End of Time, and ahead of Since You Went Away.

Directed by William Dieterle and produced by Dore Schary [/b
(executive produced by David O. Selznick the same year as his
Since You Went Away
), this movie has only superficial elements in
common with Selznick's more famous homefront saga, including the
casting of teenage Shirley Temple. It's a much darker, more disturbing
film and doesn't feel it is working any propaganda angle. In fact, it's
quite ambivalent, almost noirish in the character's projections of
fear and the way scenes proceed from dark, to gradual brightening of
prospects, back to clouds dimming the light and eventual storms rolling
in. Each time things seem to be going somewhat smoothly a disturbing
note will sound (making use of the classic standard "I'll Be Seeing You"
written by Sammy Fain and Irving Kahal is not just commercially sound,
it's actually a fitting choice because the tune is bittersweet, about loss and
wishfully seeing something that is no longer there: the hopes and dreams
of the two leads, for instance).

Ginger Rogers and Joseph Cotten play two of the most
damaged romantic couples outside the world of film noir and I have
to wonder if some in the audience when this movie was released found it
a bit of a downer during a time when escapism was wanted and needed?
She's an inmate of the State Penn convicted of manslaughter on a
Christmas "break" (due to good behavior) to visit her Aunt (Fay Bainter)
and Uncle (Tom Tully), who meets a soldier (Cotten) on the train who
turns out to be recovering from a crippling case of shell shock and has no
family or home. Both stars play their parts to perfection and without
histrionics or affectation of being above their own particular fears. It's one
of Ginger's most moving and likable characters and one of the few times
she really allows herself to be vulnerable. Cotten, is of course a pro at
playing troubled men and this is my favorite performance by him, along
with "Uncle Charlie" from Shadow of a Doubt. He is pitifiul and
pathetic, but seems so genuinely hurt and struggling to overcome it
that it never descends into a pity party.

Both characters hide their circumstances from the other, fearing to put
them off---and we see by extension how their wider circle of
acquaintances (Ginger's family, including slightly spoiled and nosy niece,
Shirley Temple, her former friends and even some local political
big wigs) alternately try to avoid confronting the truth or make too much
of it. One scene with the politicos querying Cotten as to the political
stance of the "average soldier" is one of the most ambivalent scenes on
the subject I've ever seen in a movie of this period. You think it's setting
up for some old fashioned boosterism and it turns out anything but. In
many ways, I'll Be Seeing You feels like a movie made several
years later with it's damp, almost pessimistic tone.

The way the film is photographed contributes the ambivalent and
disturbing mood because the lighting---at least on the print I watched---is
at a muted key, lacking any really strong contrasts but often light is either
dappled, filtered, or shaded "grey" in tone. There is no high key "gloss"
as in SYWA, but rather a misty and subdued appearance throughout. In
fact, whithout giving away the content of the final scene, I will just say
that it is shot in true film noir, expressionistic style that provides a
somber, contrasting atmosphere for the actions of the characters.

I hope TCM will air the movie again soon and that more people will
discover this unsettling and creative look at the lives of two people in
smalltown, WWII U.S.A.

Two "dates" that take on unsettling turns:

Cotten and Ginger Rogers go to the movies---a war movie. The battle
scenes discomfit Cotten and discussing it afterward, he remarks on how
different the soldier's experience of battle is to how the movies always
portray it.

A walk by a lake that starts pleasantly will lead to the State
Line---where Ginger knows she may not cross or risk the penal
consequences. Nothing is ever unalloyed bliss for either lover.

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thank you for your review Miss Goddess, I've just put the movie on my rental list, no doubt I'll end up buying it :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Great, thorough, beautifully written review, April. Being a William Dieterle fan (Portrait of Jennie, Love Letters et al) and a Joseph Cotten admirer, I'll no doubt try to check this one. :D
Last edited by feaito on June 22nd, 2008, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you both---it's really a lovely film that may surprise many with it's unexpected blend of sunlight and shadow, masquerading as a typical WWII homefront movie. Dieterle seemed to have a way of conveying mood and atmosphere very consistently scene-to-scene in all of his best movies. And there is also an underlying fearfulness in them, too. Fear of the future, I may call it, that vibrates through his characters.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for a fine reminder of a movie I haven't thought of in years, Miss G. Frankly, my primary memories of this movie are mostly of Tom Tully & Spring Byington, a welcome presence in any movie. You've brought to mind one of the few nearly forgotten Selznick films of the 1940s, by one of the better directors of that period, William Dieterle, whose films, The Devil and Daniel Webster and September Affair have particular resonance for me. I was kind of surprised to see that George Cukor seems to be listed as an uncredited director on this too, but then, Cukor is said to have spent his career helping out on films all the time when scheduling and other problems cropped up. Did you notice any identifiable Cukor touches in the film?

I wonder if the interesting lighting and cinematography choices you mentioned might have been made by cinematographer Tony Gaudio, director, and the producer Dore Schary in part due to the quality of the film stock available during the war and because of cost overhead problems at Selznick International? The fact that the story is kept on a human scale might also reflect that Schary, in trying to make good at the next step up the corporate movie ladder when he signed on with the difficult Mr. Selznick, sought to blend his social concerns, eye for human stories and frugality into a profitable and critically pleasing package? One indication of Schary's efforts to make a winner was that he insisted the title be changed from the pallid Double Furlough to I'll Be Seeing You, especially after Bing Crosby had a big hit with that song.

Rudy Behlmer's Memo from David Selznick indicates that the executive producer grudgingly respected Schary's independent commitment to his own way of telling the story (in defiance of David O.'s many memos), but most of the Selznick International strained resources were diverted to "big" projects such as Since You Went Away, released about 8 months prior to this small scale movie.

Released just a few months before the war in Europe ended, in his autobiography, Joseph Cotten noted that I'll Be Seeing You, which he only mentions briefly, was only modestly successful since audiences were beginning to weary of a surfeit of war stories unless they were carefully marketed, though critical notices for the movie, particularly for his work, were good. This movie seems to presage many of the concerns addressed quite well in Best Years of Our Lives, though I'd love to see this one again, especially since you make it sound so tantalizingly effective.

Wouldn't this make a nifty double feature with Remember the Night (1940) or that other Ginger wartime vehicle Tender Comrade (1943) with a similarly dark story line and feel? Many thanks for this reminder--I've just ordered the dvd of this one thanks to your endorsement.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Moira!

As I wrote about I'll Be Seeing You I kept thinking you must have posted on this movie a while back but a search here and at TCM didn't pull up anything, so I banged away.

I thought Fay and Tom were delightful and a comforting presence in the movie. One of the most affecting moments is between Fay and Shirely Temple, after Shirley has realized what an awful mistake she has made and hurt Ginger unintentionally, all because her mother failed to take her into her confidence. Fay looks at her and admits that it was indeed her fault for treating Shirley too much like a child.

I give DP Tony Gaudio, Schary and Dieterle, as well David Selznick whose knack with choosing interesting stories has always earned my admiration, full credit for what they created. They seemed to make a strong team if this movie can be used as an example. It feels like some care was taken, even if the budget was limited, and the limits seem to have worked for the story rather than against it. I even noted that the house Ginger's family lived in looked more believably middle-class than some of the more glamorous abodes these movies usually built. There was something dingy about it, in fact, ha!

I haven't read Memo from David O. Selznick in ages...but it was one of my first studio era biographies and I loved it. I may read it again one day, it covers so much territory just by focusing one of its key players.

Tender Comrade, yes well, I don't have much good I can say about my opinion of that movie or of Ginger's character, except that she was wise to pick Robert Ryan. In fact, in spite of my own personal aversion to this film and to Kitty Foyle and to a certain hard shellac that she seemed to acquire in the 1940s, I can't help but admire Ginger's shrewdness in picking out the right movies. She really did a broad range of parts and there are few if any duds in the bunch. Smart cookie.

I'd also like to see it aired back-to-back with Since You Went Away to see how people react to each.
-- Will Rogers