Sea Wife (1957)

moira finnie
Administrator

Sea Wife (1957)

Post by moira finnie »

A rarely seen movie, Sea Wife (1957), a British film that is photographed by cinematographer Ted Scaife (2 other familiar films demonstrating Scaife's skill are The African Queen & Outcast of the Islands). It has that lovely, soft and watery color that English movies had once upon a time, and Sea Wife is being broadcast on Fox Movie Channel (FMC) tomorrow, Tue., July 8th at 7:30 AM EDT.
Okay, so it's not the greatest, according to those who've posted about it on IMDb, but, if you'd like to see a small scale story with some romantic charm that offers us a glimpse of Joan Collins and Richard Burton when they were young, beautiful, and not so jaded as they later became, you just might like it. This is well before they became walking caricatures and could still try to play human beings.

The story concerns four shipwrecked people during the war adrift in a small boat. Basil Sydney plays a naval administrator who's also a bigot and Cy Grant gives dignity to a character called "Number Four", a black seaman who knows more than he will tell.
It's one more movie that used to be a regular on Million Dollar Movie on Channel 9 out of NYC. Directed by Bob McNaught (who replaced Roberto Rossellini at the last minute). It begins, interestingly, with a personal ad and all the stories are told in flashback from differing viewpoints, a storytelling device that can be quite effective.

Though I haven't seen it in many years, in memory it seems to be a "nice" movie, not an earthshaking one. Maybe you'll be in the mood for it too?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
markfp

Post by markfp »

Moira, Thanks for posting about SEA WIFE, it's being shown again tomorrow morning (7/26) at 6am. Earlier, I set my TiVo to record it. I have to admit, I'd never heard of it, but I like to record films like that because you never know what little gems will turn up. The thing that caught my eye was the cast. I think this is the first month that FMC has added it to the mix, so I would think that they'll run it again, a number of times. That seems to be their pattern. I'll make sure to watch it over the weekend instead of putting it on my "watch someday" stack. I'll let you know what I think of it. Thanks again.

Mark
markfp

Post by markfp »

Moira, I just watched it and enjoyed a lot. I thought the color photography was very well done. Interesting story and good performances. Without giving away anything, I'll just say that I was surprised with the ending. I thought it would be different. Since I collect British films, I'll gladly add this one to my collection. Thanks again for pointing it out.

Mark