Victim, a daring film for its day

stuart.uk

Victim, a daring film for its day

Post by stuart.uk »

I remember in an interview about his career Dirk Bogarde said the only homosexual actor cast in the film Victim was Dennis Price. I took him at his word only to discover after his death that he to was gay. I don't have a problem with that, but I do with him outing the then late Dennis Price, but not admitting it about himself at a time when it homosexuality had become exceptable.

That said Bogarde was incredibly brave to make Victim in 1961, a film about homosexual blackmail. It wasn't until 1967 in the UK when homosexuality was legalized. One thing i disagree with some comentators was when they said Bogarde's Barrister was gay, when as far as I can tell he was inclined twice in his life, 20 yrs apart and was still faithful to his school-teacher wife, played superbly by Syliva Syms.

Bogarde was on record for thanking Syms for being brave enough to play the female lead in such a film, but I think character actors like Price (Tunes Of Glory), Norman Bird (League Of Gentlemen) and Nigel Stock (The Great Escape), who actually did play a gay men in the film, were incredibly brave to put their careers on the line.

Darren Nesbit (Where Eagles Dare) plays the evil blackmailer, whom Bogarde risks his career to bring to justice.
Last edited by stuart.uk on August 5th, 2008, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Stuart, my friend,
How prescient that you should mention this Dirk Bogarde film. I just noticed the other day that Victim is being broadcast again on TCM on
Sep 20, @12:15AM EDT. It's one of his many groundbreaking performances by a remarkable actor. If you're interested here's part one of a five part documentary currently on youtube about Bogarde. I've recently re-read his last autobiography A Short Walk From Harrods and was really impressed with his writing style and honesty again. :
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Moira, I can get the film on, but without sound

There was an outstanding Arena doc on Bogarde's life where his own family talk openly about his homosexuality.

I'm not that keen on his 70s work, not that I've seen any of it, but Victim was a major change of direction for the 50s idol, following up with The Servent, Darling and Sebastian