CRY HAVOC

mrsl

CRY HAVOC

Post by mrsl »

I saw Cry Havoc for the first time when I was about 10 years old on the afternoon movie, and of course had no grasp of what I was seeing. As years went on, I watched it again and again, and it is definitely one of my favorites. Although it is all women, it is not a 'chick flick' by any means. Both of my husbands liked it and they were certainly different enough to be a judging thermometer.

I hope that if you have never seen this movie, you at least set your timer or were able to sit down and watch it. It gives a fine example of what nurses on the front lines actually went through during WWII. Using 10 very diverse women from completely different lifestyles gives a unique sight into how women actually act and react to each other. Men have very few requirements as to who is or is not likable. Women however, have hundreds. Looks alone can cause two women to be bitter enemies with never saying a word to each other. Jealousy, as shown in this movie is a No. 1 factor. When people say women dress for other women, they are 100% right. Men could care less what a woman wears, the less the better in most cases, but women have levels that must be met. There is a lot more, but this movie shows so much of that in just a few short scenes, that it may make it even harder for men to understand women. The joining of ranks at the end is nice to see, but the march up the stairs and out into the night with no knowledge of what is to come should raise the hairs on the back of your neck.

Margret Sullavan's voice is even gruffer than usual in this one, although her martyr act gets a little sticky in some places. Ann Sothern plays her usual Maisie type of character, and Joan Blondell works hard to keep everyone in high spirits. Fay Bainter is great as the Nurses Captain and one of my favorites, Marsha Hunt makes you want to cheer her on as the go-between trying to keep peace among the 'girls'.

The acting is not that great but it's one of those movies that you really don't care because what is going on supercedes any faults you find.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Re: CRY HAVOC

Post by ken123 »

Please dont forget Ella Raines is also in the cast .Ella, Joan, Marsha - WOW ! :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Anne, I never realised you had started a thread about this movie. I watched it for the first time a few months ago. I loved it but I'm sure when I watch it again other things will come through, it strikes me as a movie with many levels to it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

CCFan:

I hope you get a chance to see it again and remember to post here. I love the movie, but it's hard to have a one sided conversation on a movie. I would love to hear your comments.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'll bear it in mind Anne, I doubt I'll have chance this side of Christmas. I will watch it in the new year.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ken123

Post by ken123 »

How about a remake............with Angelina in da lead ? jk :oops: