Questions about a couple of Movies

silentscreen

Questions about a couple of Movies

Post by silentscreen »

I have the chance to buy the film described below in a pretty good print. Has anyone seen it? Christine perhaps? I'd also like to know if anyone has seen The Front Page with Mae Clarke? I generally like any movie that she's in, though I've seen very few.

PORT OF SHADOWS (Le Quai des Brumes) (1938) is one of the truly great classics of French cinema. Directed by Marcel Carne and written by Jacques Prevert (both of whom would later collaborate on CHILDREN OF PARADISE) the film was an early influence on what was to soon become "film noir". The incomparable Jean Gabin (PEPE LE MOKO, GRAND ILLUSION) stars as a world-weary soldier-deserter seeking passage. Shortly after being befriended by a stray dog, his wanderings find him in a port town where a chance-encounter with a kindly drunk leads him to an isolated bar on the outskirts - a place which clearly offers sanctuary to lost souls such as him. There he meets a sad and troubled young girl (Michele Morgan) and becomes entangled in her woes which involve her enigmatic guardian (Michel Simon) and a hotheaded gangster (Pierre Brasseur). It soon becomes painfully clear to both of them that they are in love, but their respective dilemmas - now intertwined - have them on a collision course with fate. At times both haunting and poetic, (with low-key photography and melancholy scoring to match) this is a masterful film which is hard to shake once experienced and will likely stay with you for a lifetime. In French with English subtitles
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Port of Shadows is a great film and one of my personal favorites. When I had to list 15 favorite noirs for our recent contest, it was included. I don't want to give away the film and ruin it for you, so I won't say much more, but if you like romantic styled noir, buy it--you won't be disappointed.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Thanks for the tip! It sounds good.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Le Quai des Brumes (Port of Shadows) is an undisputed masterpiece of French cinema. It predates the Film Noir by several years, boasts a superb cast (Michèle Morgan then 18, Jean Gabin, Michel Simon and Pierre Brasseur), the poetic dialogue by Jacques Prévert, brilliant cinematography by Schüftan. Essential viewing! 8)
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I'll have to get it then! Criterion put it out a few years ago, so the quality will be excellent. A good used DVD on Amazon isn't too expensive.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'd echo others' recommendations of Port of Shadows (Le Quai des Brumes) (1938) and think that The Front Page (1931) is a good early talkie with some crackling dialogue courtesy of Hecht & MacArthur, though you will find that Mae Clarke is only in it relatively briefly as a tender-hearted prostitute.

It may be one of the best films of Pat O'Brien's early career, though on stage he created the role assigned to Adolphe Menjou here (Louis Wolheim was originally cast in the part of the editor, but Menjou replaced him on short notice when Wolheim became fatally ill). Unless someone else knows better, The Front Page is in dire need of restoration. Prints I've seen have usually been watchable despite the deterioration of both the film and the soundtrack.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Silentscreen I love your avatar, but I guess you'd know that anyway.

I love Port of Shadows, great performances and a great noir. I think you'd love it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Silentscreen I love your avatar, but I guess you'd know that anyway.
LOL, yes I do. I found it mislabeled on the Internet, with it purporting to be Ronald Colman and Vilma Banky! :lol: :lol: :lol: I think it's from "Speak Easily" with Buster and Thelma, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thelma overwhelms Buster a bit. She steals this scene from him.

[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I like that film, Buster's talent was wasted in them but that is another discussion.

However thought it was Ronald Colman and Vilma Banky has not a clue about their movie stars.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I like that film, Buster's talent was wasted in them but that is another discussion.
I read some reviews of the film and they say the same thing as you. I haven't seen it, just watched some clips on youtube. That one scene was hysterical though. Reminds me of Buster and Dorothy Sebastian in "Spite Bride", but not as entertaining. Thelma did a similar act with Groucho, but where Buster was quite deadpan with her, Groucho was lecherous. I love Groucho and Thelma together. 8)