Bonjour Tristesse (1958)

moira finnie
Administrator

Bonjour Tristesse (1958)

Post by moira finnie »

Having finally seen the entire movie of Bonjour Tristesse (1958) the other day, not just tantalizing bits and pieces of the rocky Riviera coastline and the episodic story, I have enjoyed seeing this beautiful looking movie about some "deeply shallow" people.

I was particularly taken with Jean Seberg's pre-Breathless performance as a blithely selfish young woman who may resent Deborah Kerr, for "taking away her father-as-playmate" (played as a walking, likable contradiction by David Niven, who brings a blend of diffident, heedless sybaritic blindness to the role). More pointedly, she soon seems to take an active dislike to the woman for making Seberg see herself. Her character darkens throughout the movie, just as the brightness of the coastal light becomes stronger and there is more contrast between the long, dark shadows of the late afternoons as the movie goes on.

Seeing and, fatally, hearing, crop up throughout the movie, with director Otto Preminger using mirrors as objects for Cecile (Seberg) to admire her effects in throughout the movie. Eventually, the images in the mirror go from sunny to drained of all color, as seen below. Cecile is always full of self-regard--not just in a narcissistic way. She must see herself in her various poses as a nymphet, a proto-adult watching Ilsa (Mylène Demongeot, who looked like a '50s version of a Renoir) with her father, a conspirator, and finally, as a faded shadow of something that was bright, guilty and alive once in each of her reflections, in her mind's eye, her mirror, the image in her "third eye" as she plays at yoga (interrupted by Kerr, below), and again, seeing herself very plainly after the summer is over. Jean Seberg, still a teenager, proved she could act in this film.

One of the things I wonder about, though, is the change that occurs when David Niven and Deborah Kerr become engaged. Deborah Kerr's character does begin to display "a touch of the prig", being a bit of a killjoy about Jean Seberg's friskiness, but I kept thinking "Is Kerr behaving this way because, as a well brought up Frenchwoman about to take the plunge into respectability, she really believes it is her duty to discipline her stepdaughter to be?"

I didn't think that Kerr, (who may not have looked this beautiful or warm since her early days with Powell & Pressburger) really felt comfortable in her new role as finacee or as stepmother in training. You can see her go from being starchy to relaxed and back to the "killjoy" in the course of the movie. Niven and Seberg don't really change. They just become more like their true sybaritic, jaded selves over the course of the movie. However, both father and daughter are much more self-aware by the end of the story. They are still unable to change for the better in any way.

Great cinematography by Georges Périnal and I particularly like the contrast between the black and white of the present and the color sequences of memory.

Perhaps one of those who has seen the movie several times can tell me if I understood much of what was going on. Thanks.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Re: Bonjour Tristesse (1958)

Post by jdb1 »

Moira, after I saw this movie way back when (I was only 9), I think I developed a lifelong girlcrush on Jean Seberg. I think she was one of the most beautiful woman in movies. I thought she was very good, if a still a bit unseasoned, in Tristesse, even though her acting was generally scorned by the pundits of the time.

It's unfortunate that her own self-destructive tendencies and natural orneryness kept her from having a real career. It's debatable whether she really wanted a career to begin with. Someone should make a movie about her life -- it would be very instructive (and cautionary) for the countless "I Wannabe a Star" hopefuls around today.
Last edited by jdb1 on October 15th, 2009, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Judith, that's a good point.

I used to think Jean Seberg just looked like another movie starlet in need of a square meal, but there does seem to have been a yearning intelligence in her gamine little frame too. I always thought that from what little I knew about her sad sounding life, Seberg didn't have any idea what she was getting into when she answered Otto Preminger's call for a Saint Joan. And, of course, the political turmoil of the '60s wasn't kind to anyone with a fragile personality, either. There are a couple of favorably reviewed books on the actress, Played Out- The Jean Seberg Story by David Richard and Breathless by Garry McGee, as well as some passages from her own journals that have been around. If anyone has read any of these, perhaps they will weigh in here.

Foster Hirsch's recent good bio of director Otto Preminger is kind to her, noting her fatal blend of ambition and vulnerability with some talent, which was stretched almost to the breaking point by alternately nurturing and demanding Otto, who was, at the end of the day, trying to make commercial movies with a bit of an artistic edge. I'm not sure that a kid Seberg's age and with her experience could have been prepared for that intense atmosphere--but she was good and created a believable human character in this movie for me, at least.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
phil noir

Post by phil noir »

I saw Bonjour Tristesse about a year ago. The first still you posted, Moira, the one in monochrome of JS in a Paris nightclub, staring blankly over the shoulder of her partner, perhaps - we can't be sure - confronting the emptiness of her life, reminded me very strongly of Garbo's famous scene at the end of Queen Christina - with her standing at the prow of the ship and staring into the future, her face blank, her expression enigmatic, and we the audience being invited to read our own meaning into her gaze.

Below is a link with an interview JS did with Mike Wallace in between the failure of Saint Joan and the release of Bonjour Tristesse. I think he gives her a pretty hard time, but she responds with grace and intelligence:

http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/multimedia/vi ... _jean.html
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

There is a documentary about Seberg, which I haven't seen, called something like From the Journals of Jean Seberg. I believe that Seberg's voice is portrayed by Mary Beth Hurt, who came from the same town as Seberg -- is it Marshalltown, Iowa? I also recall Hurt saying somewhere that Seberg used to be her babysitter.

The whole spectacle of Preminger conducting a talent search to cast his Joan of Arc movie would make for a great film. I was thinking of how, as a little girl, I paged through Life magazine and came across photos of all these pretty young girls lining up to audition. Apparently, Preminger got what he thought he wanted in Seberg -- a beautiful smalltown girl with presence. As I recall, she wasn't very good in the movie, but she was only about 17 or 18 and had no prior experience.

In many ways, Seberg's life mirrored the story of Joan of Arc -- an innocent thrust into a role far beyond her experience, surrounded by "warriors" and politicians, in this case from the movie industry -- and her taking up of unpopular and seemingly hopeless political causes as she matured. Quite a story.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Phil Noir,
Thanks so much for pointing out that Seberg interview, which did show her intelligent yet rather vulnerable mien. She tried to show flashes of toughness, but I suspect it was a facade, though she handled herself with remarkable poise for a youngster. Speaking of self-destructive but potentially talented people, have you watched the interview with Diana Barrymore there? Btw, I thought I was going to pass out from all the second hand smoke in the commercials and from ol' Mike on those recordings. I've seen Saint Joan (1957) and it's hardly the crime against cinema that the critics seemed to believe.

Judith,
There is a documentary called From the Journals of Jean Seberg (1995), which sounds pretty intriguing, based on this article in Bright Lights Film Journal. To buy the doc costs $45 bucks if you can find it, but I see that Blockbuster Online will rent it to you. I've never used their service at all since they started to compete with Netflix, which has been pretty reliable and has the obscure stuff I love on hand, (for the most part). I gave up on Blockbuster since the day I was in one of their stores and asked the person behind the counter if they had a certain John Ford film. "No, we wouldn't have anything like that", she sneered, acting as taken aback as if I'd asked for directions to the bestiality movie section of the store. But I digress. Has anyone had any experiences with the Blockbuster home DVD service?

Still curious about Jean Seberg? Then apparently, July 11th is the day to tune in when TCM, based on this article, is scheduled to show the following :
The Mouse That Roared
In the French Style
Bonjour Tristesse
Lilith
Paint Your Wagon

The only one I've never seen even a few minutes of is In the French Style (1963), which was based on a couple of Irwin Shaw short stories and directed by Robert Parrish, a guy whose movies I sometimes like quite a bit. I guess I'm curious. Here's a portion of that haunting beginning sequence in Bonjour, Tristesse, with Juliette Greco* singing a song of eloquently languid despair underneath the black and white imagery of Ms. S.
[youtube][/youtube]

* I believe that Ms. Greco was then Darryl F. Zanuck's most recent reason for making a fool of himself in old Paree. She certainly showed up in more than enough 20th Century Fox movies around that time, but maybe that was just a coincidence, no?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I haven't seen In the French Style -- or rather, I may have seen it but I can't remember it.

Lilith is interesting but not really all that good, and created a bit of a stir in its time (about mental illness). In The Mouse That Roared Seberg is merely the love interest ingenue, and looks very pretty, but anyone could have played it. Much the same for Paint Your Wagon, which is a mess of a movie, and Seberg kept making me think I was looking at Eva Marie Saint. The fun is in hearing Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood "sing," and in contemplating that Eastwood and Seberg had a fling during the shooting of the movie.
phil noir

Post by phil noir »

moirafinnie wrote:Phil Noir,
Thanks so much for pointing out that Seberg interview, which did show her intelligent yet rather vulnerable mien. She tried to show flashes of toughness, but I suspect it was a facade, though she handled herself with remarkable poise for a youngster. Speaking of self-destructive but potentially talented people, have you watched the interview with Diana Barrymore there? Btw, I thought I was going to pass out from all the second hand smoke in the commercials and from ol' Mike on those recordings. I've seen Saint Joan (1957) and it's hardly the crime against cinema that the critics seemed to believe.
The only other interview I'd looked at was the one with Gloria Swanson - MW gives her a hard time too - but I've just watched Diana Barrymore. Considering she was only 36-ish, she looks and sounds about 20 years older. Reading her biography on imdb.com, I'm not surprised. And only three years later, she was dead. Interesting that self-rehabilitation through a warts and all autobiography was a fresh strategy at the time; where would our modern Z-listers be without it?

I do like the title song to Bonjour Tristesse - it reminds me a bit lyrically of the Billie Holiday song, Good Morning Heartache - but watching the clip, I was surprised at how poorly I'd remembered the sequence of Jean Seberg staring over her date's shoulder. The audience doesn't need to read their own thoughts into the scene; it's all spelt out for us in voice-over. I think I'd like to take back my comparison with Garbo in Queen Christina... it doesn't stand up...

Just at the end of the clip, the flirtatious, quasi-incestuous badinage starts up between David Niven and Seberg's characters; how odd and surprising and uncomfortable that felt in a film from 1958; one of the emotional registers we weren't used to seeing, although it's not unknown of course in real life.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Phil!! Love your new avatar of Dana.

Yeah, redemption through public confessional really hit its stride starting in the '50s for people like Diana Barrymore and others. Of course, it still never seems to occur to many running the gauntlet of public laundry-airing that the real change comes when the pen is laid down, the cameras are off, and the voice is quiet. Then comes the part where one realizes you have to live with yourself. Perhaps discussing problems in public helps. I just wonder if they might only be solvable in private.

In his recent autobiography, Christopher Plummer recalls having met Diana Barrymore when he was a very young man living in Montreal and she was a notorious offspring who was trying to carve a niche for herself as as a singer in nightclubs while hoping to find her way back to the theater.

He wrote that Barrymore would be cold sober, and occasionally appear to be very together and a good looking woman. As soon as she fell off the wagon, it was almost as though the woman melted. When even Ethel Barrymore had to impose some tough love on her niece Diana, refusing to see her, Plummer, to his credit, met her again after her latest drying out and found her to be the "darkly sexy girl" he'd once known with a wonderful sense of humour.

He tried to get her a job in a play by arranging a meeting with Elia Kazan around this time for the lead in the road show of Sweet Bird of Youth. Though Kazan cried "Oh, no, not a Barrymore! That's all I need..." he made the appointment for her to give her a chance. Bumping into Kazan some weeks later, he learned that she had arrived on time promptly. The only trouble was "she was so goddamn drunk they had to help her out of the theater." Plummer was heartbroken, and decided she'd been so frightened of this great chance, she'd needed just one shot of "dutch courage." A few months later she was dead.

I watched that interview with Gloria Swanson too. Mike Wallace was hardly mellow in those days, was he? I'm amazed he could get guests with the stuff he put them through.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

WHOA!! I'm bringing up a blast from the past here...but in one of your posts Moira (7/1/2009 - 4:52pm) you cite an interview with Diana Barrymore. Now Mike Wallace is a real prig during this interview...but Ms. Barrymore is refreshingly candid and this interview is back in the 50's??? She sounds smart, literate and faces her interviewer 'man-to-man.' She's not coquettish or cutesy. She faces him, and answers him and doesn't back down from him and challenges him. When he 'thinks' he's trying to show her up...trip her up...be judgmental...HA!! She shows him no quarter.

It's too bad she let her life get out of control. She looks like she could have really been a creative force of nature. I am thoroughly impressed by her in this interview. I wonder if her niece Drew has ever seen this interview. Thanxxx for pointing this out Moira...

Sorry to reach back folks. I'm just trying to catch up.

P.S. Let me add this...I think I might be being too hard on Mike Wallace. His questions are very direct (and she handled them). Perhaps I'm just wishing that today's interviewers would be as direct and pointed as Mike Wallace was back then, and not throw such soft balls to the celebrities they interview today.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I recorded BT and ITFS yesterday, and got to watch only the very beginning of French Style so far. Seberg is so danged gorgeous (she has longer hair in this one). What a difference in her bearing and appearance after just a few years of living in France. Eat your heart out, Grace Kelly; I think the little girl from Iowa out-glams you, even in black & white, and in a little cotton dress.

It's official; I have to put in my order now: in my next life, I want to look like Seberg. (Sorry, Ina.)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The restored version of Bonjour Tristesse (1958) whose glorious color and light were restored so well by the MoMA is being broadcast tonight--well really, tomorrow morning 4/23/10 at 3:30 in the AM EDT on TCM. If anyone hasn't seen this, now is your chance.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks