4 Mr Chip's

stuart.uk

4 Mr Chip's

Post by stuart.uk »

I sometimes feel a little uneasy when some movie goers say, well there was only one James Bond, ala Sean Connery or Henry 5th, ala Laurence Olivier. While I respect the view some might have in saying they were the best in those roles, I think other actors who go on to play such roles should be given a chance to show what they can do.

One such film is Goodbye Mr. Chips. While, like most, I think Donat is the best Chips, 3 other actors have followed, all giving excellent performances. I don't even like to compare Peter O'Tooles Chip's to Donat's, because it's almost a different kind of film. As well as being a drama/musical, the story is set from the 1920s to the late 1960s, unlike 1870 to 1933 in the Donat version. Also O'Toole's Chip's enjoys 14-yrs of marraige to Petula Clark's Catherine, while Greer Garson died in childbirth not long after she married. That said, for different reasons I thought the O'Toole/Clark version was very enjoyable.

To be fair the two I've mentioned will be the ones globally known. The least well know was in an late Sunday afternoon version aimed at kids. It starred Ray Marsden as Chip's. The only thing I remember was at the begining when he was having problems with the boys, he took them out into the school grounds for a game of cricket and won them over with his impressive bowling.

Lastly and certainly not the least is the Martin Clunes UK tv movie. While I think Donat, as I previously said, was the best Chips, I think Mr. Clunes runs him a very close second. Martin's most famous global role was in Shakespeare In Love. If it has a fault, and I'm only knittpicking is that I thought it politically correct, aimed at a modern day audience. For example Chip's only ever once uses the cane and it soand so disgusted him, he never used it again. Victoria Hamilton plays Catherine as a 19th Century womans liberater. While saying that those PCs were the films weaknesses, it was also if it makes sense was one of its strengths. Chip's battle with headmaster Ralston was more highlighted here than in the Donat version.
JackFavell

Re: 4 Mr Chip's

Post by JackFavell »

I don't mind remakes usually, especially if they are respectful of the material. When they go wrong is usually when they remake something to earn a quick buck or seem to have no real interest in the subject. I have always looked down my nose at the O'Toole remake, but watching parts of it on TCM has helped me to see some of the better aspects of the film. I mean, it's hard to hate Peter O'Toole in anything! It is like comparing apples and oranges though, to compare these two films.

Certainly Shakespeare's plays should be remade and often. Films made from classic literature are always welcome, although everyone will have their favorite version.

I am curious as to where you want to go with this thread - is the purpose to stay within the bounds of Mr. Chips? Or do you wish to have comments on remakes in general?

And please, which character was Martin Clunes in Shakespeare in Love?
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

To stay with Chip's if possible, but if anyone wants to add something different then feel free

Martin Clunes played the rival theatre owner and actor manager. He was the one who offered his theatre for the opening night of Romeo and Juliet

I agree it's difficult to compare the Donat and O'Toole versions. However, if you get a chance I highly recommend the Clunes version, which as it happens is all on you tube. I thought him so good in the role, in MHO he compares favourably to Donat's original version, though there are few differences to the plot, for example Peter Collie survives WW1, but is disabled
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you for telling me it was on youtube. I love British films and miniseries, and I haven't seen too many lately that were as good as some of the older ones. I will say I am absolutely head over heels in love with Robert Donat, but that won't stop me from watching another version as long as it is well done.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Jack

I don't know if this will work, but here's a preview, though for the moment I can't find the rest of the film on you tube, I hope it's still there

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh, it looks very good! I hope I can find it.

Now I recognize Martin Clunes. Yes, he was great in Shakespeare in Love! And I remember him from Lorna Doone as well. Apparently according to IMDB, he played Cyril "Barmy" Fotheringay Phipps on Jeeves and Wooster, but I don't remember that particular episode.
Last edited by JackFavell on October 20th, 2009, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

He's best known at the moment for tv comedy/drama series Doc Martin, playing a small town G.P. who isn't known for his bedside manner, but is good at his job. Claire Bloom guest starred as his unloving mother in one episode
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

There are so many shows I would like to see over here in the states, but can't get. I saw that Doc Martin show listed at IMDB.....They just don't bring over any newer UK TV shows to the PBS stations like they used to.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You know I'm not wild about remakes but I did have the O'Toole version on while I was cleaning house, years back when it was released to pay TV. I have to admit I've never cared for Peter O'Toole, can't say why, and I don't care for remakes that change the original format. The turn of the century Goodbye Mr. Chips makes a great period piece, so I saw no reason to bring it into modern time, like the 2007 Pride and Prejudice made no sense at all. I don't think O'Toole played Chips quite as lame as he could have. Donat was completely unaware of the world around him until Catherine woke him up, and losing her so quickly is what made the boys so important to him, since he had nobody else. Every new term gave him new 'boys' to love and care for. And he learned all of that from Catherine in their short time together. That was the whole charm of the movie -- how he struggled to continue the traditions she had started before she died, because she knew he would need them to go on. She didn't have any deep plan, it was just an 'in case' for her, I think.

I'm not sure about Shakespeare's novels but I don't know how much he's studied today. I do know that all of the Jane Austen novels that have been remade recently have been extremely good, whether they were remakes, or originals except the one previously mentioned. Also, they did As You Like It using modern language, but that leads to a loss in t he translation.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The Martin Clunes version was the one I saw first, I really enjoyed it. Martin Clunes is best known for playing Gary in Men Behaving Badly, don't know if that has been broadcast in America. He is a very good actor. Stuart did he star in a mini series about a real life killer? it seems to ring a bell but I can't place it.

I like the Donat version, it's traditional and very good but it always slightly miffs me because Donat got Clark Gable's Oscar. I'm so childish sometimes, Donat's performance is great but I just think Clark Gable was better. All this being said, it is a great film and Donat is an actor worthy of an Oscar, just wish Clark Gable had got one too.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

In 2002 Martin played serial killer John George Haigh in A Is for Acid.

I'm miffed at Scottish ITV for refusing to show Marple, Midsomer Murders, Doc Martin, The Bill and other high profile programs in favour of Scottish made shows, which might be alright if they were up to the same standard but their not. I was really looking forward to seeing Julia McKenzie as Marple, only to discover at the last minute Scotland refused to air it. I guess I'll have to wait until it's on digital ITV3.

The main ITV network is threatening to sue Scottish TV for it's refusal to air those shows. IMO ST is shortsighted beyond believe and deserves all it gets. However, the rest of the UK might also suffer if ITV, as I preticted, refuse to show Scotland's top cop show Taggart in retalation. If that happens Taggart might find itself cancelled. If that happens I think it's a case of Scottish TV shooting itself in the foot
charliechaplinfan

Stuart, didn't Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet play him in a different programme? Perhaps he portrayed another killer. I'm puzzled now.

I knew about ITV refusing to play Taggart, I didn't appreciate why, that's really bad news. The only reason they won't be showing it is to thumb their noses at English TV. I do find squabbles like these tiresome especially when it's the good old tax payer or in this case licence payer who loses out. I'd vote by switching off that channel completely. I'm sorry you and your fellow Scots are having to miss out Stuart.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alsion

Martin Kemp played one of the Kray twins in The Krays, but don't know of anyone else of that kind he played

Did you mean turning their thumbs up at Scottish tv rather than English, with ITV getting their own back on Scottish tv by refusing to air Taggart, after our lot refused to show Marple and other top shows
charliechaplinfan

I looked it up, it was called Brides in the Bath, I remember it was on one New Year's Eve when one of the children were a baby, I can remember sitting there nursing them watching it, he played George Smith.

I meant both but primarily Scottish TV as it looks from your post that they refused to show English programmes before ITV refused to play Taggart.