It's a Wonderful Life

charliechaplinfan

It's a Wonderful Life

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I know this film plays constantly at Christmas, I try to catch it every couple of years. I love the sentiment of this movie, it's the best Christmas movie to me, hands down, it never appears old hat or worn through too much viewing. I know we've talked on another thread about how good Capra's pre war movies are and how he lost his way a little( I know it's Capra at his most saccharine). To me this is a James Stewart movie through and through, even though it is a Capra movie, George is how I see James Stewart. On another film site a while ago they were taking votes as to which actor represented America best to you. I'm not American but my English view on it is that it's James Stewart, through and through.

Now I've been watching more movies on a regular basis, I've got used to the supporting cast. I never realised Ward Bond was in the movie, I remembered Thomas Mitchell and there's a whole host of faces.

Something that struck me tonight is that Mary is just as good and decent as George. If any movie is going to get you in the Christmas mood and get you to appreciate what you have.

I just wish I'd watched it with all of you.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU :D :D :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Re: It's a Wonderful Life

Post by knitwit45 »

I agree, Alison, this is a wonderful movie. My parents used to talk about the effect we have on those around us, and how this movie was so effective in showing it. This was years before it became a "standard". It was played so often a few years back, people lost sight of the message it carries, and only saw it eating up broadcast time. Finally, one of the networks stepped in and somehow secured the rights to the movie (I have no idea of the ins and outs of that issue). Now it is shown once a year, and it has become fresh and new again. Frank Faylen and Ward Bond's characters are Bert and Ernie, and the two main characters on Sesame Street were named for them.
Next year we'll have to make a "date" to view it together!!!!!
Merry Christmas to you, and all of the great people here at the Oasis.
May 2010 bring peace and prosperity, health and happiness to all of us.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Like so many others, I too, watch this film every year. One of these days I'll buy the DVD but not until the cost comes down from its' present $190.99. That angers me when you can get films like How the West was Won for less than $10.00 in some places. To me it's the principle of 'cost for demand' rather than cost for age of the movie. But I digress as usual. Watching it this year, I would love to have a dissection discussion of it like we have for Liberty Valence, the Searchers and others. So many wonderful characters with lives so different in Pottersville, than in Bedford Falls. How did Mr. Potter get so sour? Mary was lovely, why was she such an old maid, etc. etc. etc? Lots of other questions would come up from talking about it, and I would be willing to be even more people saw this movie than did the Searchers because this is a movie for all genres, not just Westerns or drama, etc.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, don't know Mr. Potter's story, but Mary was an old maid in Pottersville because there was no George, and he was the only man she would ever love. No George, no love. Ma Bailey had a crazy brother and a dead child. No George. Everything "wrong" in Pottersville was because there was no George.

Love this movie!
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

$190.99? What about $9.98? I purchased the two disc Collector's Version (currently $10.99) in December 2007.

Last edited by TalkieTime on December 26th, 2009, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance." --Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

mrsl wrote:Like so many others, I too, watch this film every year. One of these days I'll buy the DVD but not until the cost comes down from its' present $190.99.
I don't know of a vendor who has charged that much for any single DVD. Amazon's price for It's a Wonderful Life is currently $14. And there is always the Lux Radio Theater broadcast from 10 March 1947 with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed, which is free. :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm pretty sure Anne made an error and meant $19.99.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks movieman!!!

I'm surprised there weren't more typos since i haven't touched this keyboard in days. Yes, I meant $19.99. The only reconditioned DVD's I've seen were that price at KMart, Walmart, and Target.

American Tourist:

I know the reasons, but it's fun to delve deaper into our own ideas about what happened. One of your ideas however, about Mary is like the chicken and the egg. How could she only love George if there never was a George that she could love. e.g. if she never met George, she couldn't love only him, so other men should have interested her, like the hee-haw guy.

Anne

charliechaplinfan

What a good idea Anne.

Mary loved George from being a little girl but it wasn't apparent to George that she was the girl for him. He took a while to get his head turned, he fought his attraction to her and showed open hostility but Mary knew, she was sure that he the one for her and that she would get him in the end. Did he blame Mary for not being able to get away? Once he had kids he was never going to get away travelling.

Mr Potter's back story is never explained, whilst I was watching with my daughter I had to do quite a bit of explaining as to what the Building and Loan company was and why George was unable to leave the place behind.

What happened to the money Mr Potter took? I presume he never handed it back and no one would ever know what Uncle did with the money.

Were there really places like Bedford Falls? How close is it to reality?

It's such a good movie.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I LOVE this movie, it's one of my favorites, BUT I hate the whole "oh, no, Mary is an old maid and works in the LIBRARY!! horrors!" Ridiculous. My hubby and I think that a more depressing and realistic fate for Mary would be that she is unhappily married to Hee-Haw Sam Wainwright, drinking too many cocktails.

I work in a small city that decorates its downtown area every year at Christmas with lights that go across the street like in Bedford Falls. There is also a small park in the middle, like in It's a Wonderful Life. (Right across from the dreaded LIBRARY, lol!) So, do towns like that exist? Yes, in a way. The main street of Bedford Falls is very typical of many small American cities and towns.

Sandy K
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

sandykaypax wrote:I LOVE this movie, it's one of my favorites, BUT I hate the whole "oh, no, Mary is an old maid and works in the LIBRARY!! horrors!" Ridiculous. My hubby and I think that a more depressing and realistic fate for Mary would be that she is unhappily married to Hee-Haw Sam Wainwright, drinking too many cocktails.
Yes, I tend to agree with this. Or, perhaps since there was no George waiting back home, Mary might have made some/more effort to meet young men while away at college, and may have made a good, if not ideal, match. :)
charliechaplinfan

I agree too, Mary was very attractive and would have made a good wife for any man, if George hadn't existed she would have perhaps married someone else but not been as happy as with George. I suppose it's subscribing to the belief that there is only one true love for every person and George was hers so without him she'd have rather have been single. And there is nothing wrong with working in a library or chosing to live alone.

I'm glad places like Bedford Falls exist, not everywhere has been taken over by malls and Macdonalds.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Mr L grew up in a southern Bedford Falls, in fact little towns like that are dotted all over the South Eastern states still today where you know your business as well as all your neighbors business too.

Every time I see the movie, I wonder about that $8,000.00. Even though all was saved and the S&L survived, it seems to me George would still have investigated the loss. Also, where did the money come from to refurbish the old house?

Anne

markfp

Post by markfp »

Around here most stores were selling IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE for $14.99. That seemed to be the going price for Christmas films this year. The best time to find deals on them is in the summer when nobody is interested in buying them.
charliechaplinfan

I guess the house was refurbished by George's wages and the kindness of the locals, he probably got lots done at cost price because it's the only way the locals felt they could repay him for his good nature.