INHERIT THE WIND

MichiganJ

Re: INHERIT THE WIND

Post by MichiganJ »

RedRiver wrote:how many mainstream movies paint both sides of a controversial picture?
Do the Right Thing?
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Do the Right Thing is a super example, one of the only movies NOT to lead the audience to a conclusion about what happened within it. I really can't think of another, certainly not one as good.

I happen to agree with Inherit the Wind's position, but could see how it would drive someone crazy who didn't. :D
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

how many mainstream movies paint both sides of a controversial picture?
Most of the better ones -- which, I guess, eliminates any directed by Stanley "Please, sir, bludgeon me once more" Kramer.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Gary J. wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote: Since watching Inherit the Wind I've watched him in Father of the Bride, Fury and Big City and read about his acting in a couple of books, he never rehearsed and was unsure about his talent.
I don't think Tracy ever doubted his talent. It was probably the one asset of his that he was most confident of. But he did carry a load of emotional baggage throughout his life, such as Catholic guilt, which was acerbated by his alcoholism. And there was one aspect of guilt that he seemed to share with many other of the top stars and directors of the thirties - that working in movies was not exactly a manly occupation. Most of these stars came from working class families and despite the fame and money they earned, periodic twinges of remorse would gnaw at these men concerning how they earned a living.
I think you hit at what was at the heart of Spence's troubles but I'm sure I read that he could be out of his depth when making movies elsewhere, unlike Kate Hepburn he liked to stay on his own turf in America but I think he did come to England in the early 50s to make a movie, perhaps it was The Actress? I think I also read about his alcoholism having an effect on his talent in late years and by the time he made Guess Who's Coming to Diner he had to be reassured by Kate. I wish I could remember where I read this so I could back it up, it's not in a book about Spencer Tracy but it could have been one I've read about Kate or George Cukor.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think "Edward, My Son" was done in England.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

Every star worth their salt ended up making a movie or two in Europe after the war. Tax codes had frozen substantial amounts of studio money abroad so that films had to made overseas to help those struggling film industries get back on their feet.

As for Tracey's alcoholism - it affected him his entire life. It was one of the reasons FOX let his contract lapse in 1935, allowing MGM to sign him (not really a bad thing....) And there are countless stories throughout the 30's and 40's of Tracey's benders, although they rarely interfered with his film work as he tended to drink between projects. TEST PILOT (38) was one instance where his disease did intrude on the filming but he was among friends (Gable, Loy, Fleming) and they all covered for him. In fact, he became a crutch to many in his Hollywood circle - not just Hepburn. Gene Tierney was going through her own emotional crisis during the time of PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE (52) and she wrote of Tracey lending her emotional support to get through the filming. She, in turn, looked after him and his drinking. But there is no doubt that Hepburn was his biggest enabler. This is no knock on her. Anyone who has lived with an alcoholic knows that what a trap it is and she covered for him until his dying days - and he never got better.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I need to read a book about Tracy, he's obviously a fascinating man. I've heard some of these stories although not all. Was he one of the stars who were drawn on for the character of Norman Maine? I can imagine him giving the studio fixer plenty to cover up between projects.

I wanted to mention Bad Day At Black Rock as another Tracy performance that I've enjoyed.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin