Four Daughters or Young at Heart

mrsl

Four Daughters or Young at Heart

Post by mrsl »

For a long time, I've been silently comparing these two movies. If I were asked to choose one over the other, I would have a hard time because there are some things I like better about one movie over the other, and vice a versa. I'm ignoring the fact that Young at Heart is basically a musical showcase for Doris Day, because Four Daughters had no such character, instead I'm basing it on strictly dramatic appeal and effect. I don't know why, but the writers also changed everybody's name, and I'm not sure which one is Lola Lane and the other non-related fourth girl (who I believe is the operatic singer who left home).

The Cast:

Doris Day (Laurie - Ann) Priscilla Lane. I like Doris better as Laurie, the one who falls for the music arranger. Doris is good, this was made in the days before her quest to be the oldest virgin in movies. Both ladies are bright and perky, and both are cheerful to look at. My only preference for Doris is making the audience believe she really loved Barney (before the accident), whereas Priscilla was always carrying the torch for Felix. Also, I wish the writers had made more of the bracelet than they did in Four Daughters.

Ethel Barrymore (Aunt Ettie - Aunt Etta) May Robson. This is strictly a personal preference for the lady, Ms. Barrymore. I don't care what she is doing, she is the best. May Robson is great also, but I just admire Ethel like a Goddess.

Dorothy Malone (Fran - Theo) Lola Lane. Dorothy wins on this one. She is much more cruel to poor Alan Hale than Lola is to her Ben, but how mean can one be to Frank McHugh?

Robert Keith (Dad) Claude Raines. Claude is wonderful. Thoughtful and fatherly when needed, but jovial, and funny when everyone else is teasing him. Seeing Claude getting his hair messed and tickled by the girls while he giggled is almost sacriligious, and almost as hard to believe, but there it is right on film.

Gig Young (Alex - Felix) Jeffrey Lynn. Jeffrey all the way. Handsome, suave and most debonair. I like Gig, but he doesn't have that 'something' that Jeffrey had.

Frank Sinatra (Barney - Mickey) John Garfield. Sorry to great fans of the great John Garfield, but Frank Sinatra adopted the sad sack charisma in everything he did, down to having the cigarette sticking to his lip. He moved, walked, talked, and played the piano like a guy who is waiting for the hammer to fall on his head. I don't know if he got any awards for this part, but he should have.

Michael Curtiz directed the 1938 version, and Gordon Douglas directed the 1954. I know Curtiz re-did a couple of his earlier films, and I wonder why he didn't do this one. Actually the script was better, they went a little more into detail about each character, and the family back story. Starting out with the birth of the puppies and keeping the dog in throughout the movie was a great connector. In Young at Heart the family seemed closer and more loving to each other. That in itself is odd since Four Daughters are actually sisters in real life. I have to admit the ending for Four Daughters fits the climax very well, but on the other hand, the ending of Young at Heart does the same thing.

Does anyone have any comments to add? I would like to know what others think of these movies. Actually, both are favorites of mine, and I'm curious what others think.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Re: Four Daughters or Young at Heart

Post by ken123 »

4 Daughters is by far the better film IMHO. :D
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

I prefered Young At Heart. Sinatra was supposed to die, but he fought to keep his character of Barney alive. I wasn't so keen on the idea that after a convienant time after Barney's death in TFDs that Alex would come around courting Laurie again.

This may sound daft, but if the film was ever remade I'd be tempted to cast Drew Barrymore as aunt Jessie and have her as a possible love interest for Alex, once Laurie dumps him for Barney
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really like Young at Heart, but yes the better film is Four Daughters. And I agree with almost all you have to say, mrsl, except for maybe Dorothy Malone.

Sinatra really is great in the role. It's my favorite for both him and Doris day.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

If I had to choose, I would take "Four Daughters." Love the Lane Sisters, especially Priscilla.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Because of your review I just purchased both movies from "myoldmanmovies.com for $4.99 each and applied a 10% discount available for all. Then I discovered the series and bought more. My total cost for all five movies was $18.00. I will receive these DVDs in less than 5 days.

Are you aware this is a series and I just purchased all of the movies.

Daughters Courageous (1939)
Cast Includes: John Garfield, Claude Rains, Jeffrey Lynn, Priscilla Lane, Fay Bainter, Donald Crisp, May Robson, Frank McHugh, Dick Foran, Rosemary Lane, Lola Lane, Gale Page. Dir - Michael Curtiz. A father returns to the family he left years ... more info $4.99

Four Daughters (1938)
Cast Includes: Claude Rains, May Robson, Priscilla Lane, Lola Lane, Rosemary Lane, Gale Page, Dick Foran, Jeffrey Lynn, Frank McHugh, John Garfield. Dir - Michael Curtiz. A small-town family's peaceful life is shattered when one daughter falls for a ... more info $4.99

Four Mothers (1941)
Cast Includes: Priscilla Lane, Rosemary Lane, Lola Lane, Gale Page, Claude Rains, Jeffrey Lynn, Eddie Albert, May Robson, Frank McHugh, Dick Foran. Dir - William Keighley. Four married sisters face financial problems as motherhood approaches. ... more info $4.99

Four Wives (1939)
Cast Includes: Priscilla Lane, Rosemary Lane, Lola Lane, Gale Page, Claude Rains, Jeffrey Lynn, Eddie Albert, May Robson, Frank McHugh, Dick Foran. Dir - Michael Curtiz. Three married women play matchmaker for their widowed sister. Preceded by Four ... more info $4.99

I plan to spend a couple of nights reviewing all five of these movies - Young At Heart plus the four sister movies

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Stevie:

I certainly hope you do enjoy them. You have them out of order the way you've listed them, so I hope you get them straight before sitting down with them. If you've never seen Young at Heart,(my favorite Doris Day movie), that's the one I compared Our four Daughters with, and would love to hear your comments on both. About two weeks ago, someone I trust said she orders from My Old Mans Movies and they are well conditioned discs, so on her advice, I ordered 5 movies myself, I'm waiting for them also.

I'm working on the TV show Damages right now, I DVR them each week, then on Saturday I sit and watch 4 of them, one after another, and ff the commercials, and it makes for a pleasant afternoon. I've done the same with Army Wives, but that's really, really hard not to watch, thank goodness it's coming near the end of the season for them again.

Good watching!!!!
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Boy was I confused today watching Daughters Courageous. What in the world made Curtiz use the same cast for both DC and Four Daughters? It took a few minutes to figure it out, as well as f-f to get to the credits where I finally caught the family name as Masters instead of Lemp. I was sure there was no Buff or Tinka but I often question my own memory. Even John Garfield was in this to further cause confusion. So, actually, you must realize Daughters Courageous is not a part of the series - it is strictly (1.) Four Daughters, (2.) Four Wives (3.) Four Mothers. DC on it'w own, is a good movie, but never having heard of it before, I was really going nutty there for a few minutes.

I hope you guys all enjoyed seeing them.
Anne