Wicked Woman

mrsl

Wicked Woman

Post by mrsl »

Wicked Woman
I finally got around to watching this one and it surprised me. With a little bigger budget this probably would have been a huge success. Once I got over the shock of seeing Charles Bickford as a young man courting the main character, I truly enjoyed the story. A snake in the grass (some of us ladies know them), leaves his wife, with 3 children and a fourth on the way to fend for themselves, and try to overcome the bad reputation he's left. Well, she works hard, and finally as the kids get older, things ease up for her a bit, and Bickford is there in the background to help and offer support.

Mary Christian is the leading lady whom I do not recall from any other movie. She is not necessarily pretty, as most leading ladies were at the time, but she does play a good, loving mother. It's another one of those 'good for a rainy afternoon.' films.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mongoII

Re: Wicked Woman

Post by mongoII »

Anne, I thought at first you were gonna discuss one of my favorite B movies of the 1950s which was "Wicked Woman" with blonde actress Beverly Michaels.
However, I would now like to see the movie that you mentioned since I'm a big Charles Bickford fan. Sounds like a good one.
Joseph Goodheart
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Mady Christians played Edward G. Robinsons wife in All My Sons, starring Burt Lancaster, its from an Arthur Miller play. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think TCMprogrammer has something up his sleeve this month. I have seen Mady's name a lot in movies on TCM lately, and I notice he almost always has sub- themes.... but of course, maybe it's just that the studios tended to use the same contract players over and over again, so if you see a certain star, you might get that contract player several times.