Keeper of the Flame

jdb1

Keeper of the Flame

Post by jdb1 »

On the TCM schedule tonight. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this film, especially if you haven't seen it before.

I didn't like it much the first time I saw it, but it has grown on me. I like the dark, tense, almost German Expressionist style, which Cukor could carry off just fine when necessary (as in Joan Crawford's "A Woman's Face"). The story is essentially a mystery, and Cukor paces it that way. The plot is very heavy on flag-waving, as befits the time in which it was made, and the ending is predictable. This film would have had much more of an impact, I think, when it was first released than it does now. But the performances make it worth watching.

Tracy, as a journalist, is the voice of America, a rather skeptical America, and Hepburn plays one of her rare vulnerable woman roles. The supporting actors are excellent, an eclectic group including Margaret Wycherly, Forrest Tucker, Percy Kilbride, Howard da Silva, and an especially touching young Darryl Hickman.
ken123

Re: Keeper of the Flame

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:On the TCM schedule tonight. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this film, especially if you haven't seen it before.

I didn't like it much the first time I saw it, but it has grown on me. I like the dark, tense, almost German Expressionist style, which Cukor could carry off just fine when necessary (as in Joan Crawford's "A Woman's Face"). The story is essentially a mystery, and Cukor paces it that way. The plot is very heavy on flag-waving, as befits the time in which it was made, and the ending is predictable. This film would have had much more of an impact, I think, when it was first released than it does now. But the performances make it worth watching.

Tracy, as a journalist, is the voice of America, a rather skeptical America, and Hepburn plays one of her rare vulnerable woman roles. The supporting actors are excellent, an eclectic group including Margaret Wycherly, Forrest Tucker, Percy Kilbride, Howard da Silva, and an especially touching young Darryl Hickman.
I like this film alot. I have always wondered how Louis B. Mayer, a staunch Republican, allowed this film be made and released. The film is an even more telling indictment of a Hearst - like publisher than " Citizen Kane ". :o
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Possible that LBM just didn't get it, and thought he was merely making a patriotic movie about the evils of crypto-fascism. Lots of people, especially people with lots of ego, see only what they want to see.

I guess that's what this movie is about, really.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I hope that the message of this film is not lost on today's Americans. Hate destroys ! :cry:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I hope that the new book "The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years - Brother ", by David Talbot is read by all Americans, especially those who are deeply disturbed by the trends ( to fascism ) in this country. "Seven Days in May ", along with "Keeper of the Flame " are excellent films, in that regard also. "Seven... " is mentioned in the Kennedy book. Director John Frankenheimer and Romain Gary's French novelist & actress Jean Seberg's husband ) comments may interest and/ or suprise you. :cry:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I own a copy of this film, which isn't of very good quality. What was shown last night on TCM was somewhat better.

I'm wondering though - the b&w of the movie looks so dark in both instances - not much contrast, even in the daylight scenes (of which there aren't all that many). Was this deliberate, in keeping with the subject matter of the story? Or is it just the state of the prints available? What do you think?

By the way, I think Percy Kilbride gave a performance that was a model of insinuation - kinda creepy, actually, right up there with Frank Faylen's male nurse in "The Lost Weekend." That first scene Kilbride was in, sitting in his taxi, where he and Tracy smiled conspiratorially at each other -- it looked like a pickup of the seamiest sort.
Ray Faiola

Post by Ray Faiola »

This is one of several Tracy-Hepburns I own in 16mm. Not only do I like this film for what it is, I am astounded that it was made - and released - when it was. The type of shattering-the-feet-of-clay drama that this film represents was 20 years ahead of its time. More to the point, we were at war and the picture industry was very adamant about not producing anything that might be considered subversive.

I also like KEEPER OF THE FLAME because, along with YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, it features one of the best performances by Richard Whorf. Whorf was a very talented actor and director who too often robbed moviegoers of his fine characterizations by staying behind the megaphone. I have a print of another film with fine acting by Whorf - THE IMPOSTOR with Jean Gabin.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com
ken123

Post by ken123 »

While I like this film a lot, IMHO Capra's Meet John Doe ia a better and more hard hitting film. Also I like Capra much better than Cukor. :D
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Thinking out loud, is there any newspaper - media magnate, in todays American, who night be considered a crypto - fascist ? HMMMMMMMMMMMM :(