The Next Voice You Hear

charliechaplinfan

The Next Voice You Hear

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched this 1950 film today, it's directed by William Wellman and stars James Whitmore and Nancy Davis. The voice they hear is God coming through the radio at 8.30pm every night. The story unfolds day after day, people at first are skeptical, most thinking it is some hack playing with radio equipment but it soon becomes apparent that these messages are being heard around the world, at the same time in many different languages and the messages are non recordable. It takes place over a week, with more and more people believing and packing into churches. There are those too who are scared, the family we watch, a pregnant mother, her son and husband, each scared that she will die in labour with her second child just like a ancestor. As a story, it promises so much and with a director like Wellman at the helm, it should have been hard hitting but it wasn't. It was a little too sweet, it could have packed more of a punch, could have been more of a feel good film like It's a Wonderful Life or Miracle In Milan but it falls short.

James Whitmore is very good in the title role, Nancy Davis was fine, nothing to write home about and Gary Gray was perfect as the little boy.

The story could be remade today and could be an example of a remake being better than the original. With all the entertainment and communications media these days, imagine what it would be like if God came through on these.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this film?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Re: The Next Voice You Hear

Post by klondike »

I've no evidence to back it up, but I always wondered if this one mightn't have been one of the thematic inspirations for some of Serling's scripts on TV's "The Twilight Zone" - sort of that same 'Atomic Age sense of Awe & Wonder' that so pervaded his work, having to do, in part, with how our need for the divine may alter & permutate in the light of situations like the threat of nuclear warfare, meeting interplanetary neighbors, and the exploration of our galaxy.
charliechaplinfan

I've only heard of The Twilight Zone, I've never watched one.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ahhhh! You are missing something, Alison - here are two really good episodes (my favorites) of the Twilight Zone. The show was incredibly well written.

Twilight Zone: One for the Angels - part one
[youtube][/youtube]

Twilight Zone: Time Enough at Last - part one
[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

I'll try to watch over the weekend. Thank you :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I can't help but like this little movie. It's silly and preachy. But the whole small town, close family, tunnel vision atmosphere appeals to me. It IS a lot like 1950's TV. It's like 1950's society; maybe not the real one, but the one we see fictionalized. It's short, guided and to the point. Family drama.

I can't NOT like James Whitmore. A dependable actor who never achieved top level stardom, he was always a favorite. Whether battling giant ants in THEM!, planning a jewel heist in ASPHALT JUNGLE, or defending the down-trodden in THE LAW AND MR. JONES (Oh, yes!), Whitmore played exactly what I needed to see.