The System (The Girl Getters) with Oliver Reed

JackFavell

The System (The Girl Getters) with Oliver Reed

Post by JackFavell »

I recently came across some clips on youtube of this movie, and found myself fascinated, partly with a young and fairly healthy Oliver Reed, and partly with the storyline of this movie. It looks quite good.

Has anyone seen this one?
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The System (The Girl Getters) with Oliver Reed

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I recently came across some clips on youtube of this movie, and found myself fascinated, partly with a young and fairly healthy Oliver Reed, and partly with the storyline of this movie. It looks quite good.

Has anyone seen this one?
The Girl Getters (1964) is pretty good. I guess I liked Oliver Reed more as a werewolf (as in 1961's The Curse of the Werewolf) than just a wolf.

You might like to read this article:
http://moviemorlocks.com/2008/05/24/the-hunter-gets-captured-by-the-game-michael-winners-the/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I have a copy of The Girl-Getters and think it's a really good film, but I think best left discovered without giving too much plot away. Early-mid 60s, English seaside resort town, Reed and his friends develop a "system" to get girls. All goes well until…

The story is good, acting terrific (especially Reed who has some of the best reaction shots in the business), and director Michael Winner and cinematographer Nicolas Roeg really capture the time and place.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I have had a love-hate relationship with Reed since I saw him in Oliver with my mom when I was nine or ten years old. He scared me, but I found him very compelling to watch. He could be a very good actor, and that's what caught my eye in The GG while surfing around on youtube.

The movie is shot beautifully in black and white, making me wish I could go to that secluded beach with the little house on it. And Reed definitely has something deep going on inside, he really draws the lens with his boredom, anger and frustration. There's more to it, though... he shows a soft underbelly - it seems to sneak out without his really being aware of it. He's caught wanting something more. And then there is the crazy part of him leaching out as well - you aren't quite sure what he will do, he might bean someone with a rock or go off at any moment. It's exciting to watch him. He's a bit dangerous, but ultimately very sympathetic.

I realize looking at the morlocks article (thanks so much for that, Moira), that somewhere along the way, I have seen The Jokers as well. I don't remember the plot at all, but the name has stuck with me - it made a definite impression on me at one time.

I really appreciate the time you both took to tell me about this movie. I knew if I posted about it, someone here would know about it.

Now Moira, tell me all about The Werewolf movie....??
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

What!? You've never seen The Curse of the Werewolf (1961)?
It was Ollie's breakthrough role. He played a Spanish lad who was quite misunderstood and quite hirsute when the rays of the moon hit his broad beam. In other words, Reed was born to play this part in the Hammer movie, putting the bite on several buxom senoritas and brooding about it afterward.
Oliver Reed's alter ego about to pounce.

This flick is so beloved, you can even buy dolls based on Oliver Reed as the werewolf.
That's Ollie on the right.

The Jokers is great fun too, as I recall, with Reed doing his slick, slightly cruel mod bounder routine.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, that is too funny! :D :D :D :D :D :D
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

moirafinnie wrote:This flick is so beloved, you can even buy dolls based on Oliver Reed as the werewolf.
Not "dolls", action figures. I have a number of the Universal horror action figures but didn't know about the Hammer action figures. Thanks!

"Dolls"…geeesh….
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

"Dolls"…geeesh….

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Okay. ACTION FIGURES....but even G.I. Joe was a doll.

P.S. MichJ--do you have The Invisible Man one?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

moirafinnie wrote:Okay. ACTION FIGURES....but even G.I. Joe was a doll.
Not the way I played with him he wasn't! Once I used up an entire drawer of my dad's handkerchiefs trying to make a working parachute (didn't work, but was really fun dropping him from the roof of the house---until mom came home).

Dolls with "kung-fu grips"? Never.

double geeez
moirafinnie wrote:P.S. MichJ--do you have The Invisible Man one?
I have the Frankenstein Monster, Dracula, the Wolfman, the Mummy and Chaney's Phantom of the Opera, as well as King Kong. Unfortunately no Invisible Man.

While they aren't easy to manipulate, I've been trying to make a brief stop-motion film with all of them. My cat, Nick, though, keeps rubbing against the camera tripod or wants to play with the chain hanging from Kong's wrist. (Something O'Brien and Harryhausen never had to contend with, I bet.)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Obviously, you need to occupy your cat with a starring role - I don't think anyone has made a giant cat horror film yet.... lizards and bunnies, but no killer kitty.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

JackFavell wrote:I don't think anyone has made a giant cat horror film yet.... lizards and bunnies, but no killer kitty.
[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh the humanities! :D :D :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hope your stop motion film will make its world premiere here, MichJ! Sounds great. Maybe you could have parachuting G.I. Joes come to the rescue?

Lest we forget other giant cats vs. humans, here's a clip from The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957):
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks