A Film that Always Make You Cry

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

There have been so many good mentions here. I agree about “Now Voyager”, and would add “All This, and Heaven Too”. I also tend to get choked up over invocations of the sense of honor, such as the Frederic March admiral character saying at the end of “The Bridges at Toko-Ri”, “Where do we get such men?”

But the all-time champ for me is probably “Portrait of Jennie”, so much so that on occasion I have foregone watching it yet again because I didn’t feel emotionally up for it. I like to think of myself as a hardnosed cynic with almost no spiritual sensitivity, but the mysticism of “Jennie” gets to me throughout the film. Mostly it seems to come out of a personal wistfulness for a world like that, though I’m definitely also touched by the permeating sense of loss. I’m pretty sure “Portrait of Jennie” is a top ten film for me. It pushes many of my deeper buttons.
knitwit45

RE: Who Will Love My Children?

Post by knitwit45 »

John, if this is the one I'm thinking of, is it with Ann-Margaret? Unless I've got my stories confused, she was nominated for an Emmy in that role, and lost to Barbara Stanwyck in Thornbirds. At her acceptance speech, Miss Stanwyck said thank you, but then said something to the effect that Ann-Margaret should have won for her stunning performance, and pointed to her in the front row. I was knocked over by that, and Ann-Margaret and I BOTH started crying!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I'm with you all on the animals in jeopardy theme. Geez. Can't watch anything where the animals die, especially dogs for some reason. Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, even that ridiculous slobbery dog in Turner and Hooch just kill me.

First time I ever cried at a movie was E.T.--not the scene where the kid thinks ET is dead, but when he realizes ET isn't and the joy on the kid's face--wow. I was a young teenager and was sooo embarrassed that I teared up.

Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

traceyk wrote:I'm with you all on the animals in jeopardy theme. Geez. Can't watch anything where the animals die, especially dogs for some reason. Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, even that ridiculous slobbery dog in Turner and Hooch just kill me.

Tracey
Tracey, I forgot about Turner and Hooch. Tom Hanks' unrestrained display of grief when the poor dog expired (after taking bullet for his partner) was a thing to behold. Some of the most naturalistic screen crying I've ever seen. Just thinking about it makes me well up a bit.
feaito

Re: A Film that Always Make You Cry

Post by feaito »

ken123 wrote:Is there any classic film from the advent of sound until 1970 that no matter how many times that you are seen it always brings a tear to your eyes. :cry:
Given that parameters I have to admit that "Portrait of Jennie" and "Letter from an Unknown Woman" would be sure choices in that category. Melancholic & ethereal dramas like these kill me.
feaito

Post by feaito »

If we talk about newer films "Shadowlands", "Pan's Labyrinth" and "The Notebook" made the trick. They had truly devastating effects on me. I'm a sucker for dramas.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I'm really surprised that I've never responded to this thread....because I LOVE a good tear-jerker. I can't get enough.

Some films that always get me crying (both classic and 'modern'):

First Prize: THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY (I cry ALOT in this one! If my objective is to cry my eyes out, this is the one I pick, because I'm crying for about the last 20 minutes of this film, every time I watch it. Sooooo sad. I read the book first, and cried through practically the entire thing. Took me DAYS to get over this book.)

OUT OF AFRICA
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO
THE ENGLISH PATIENT
THE JOY LUCK CLUB
SHADOWLANDS
THE REMAINS OF THE DAY
MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE
THE NOTEBOOK
UNTAMED HEART

Wow....I guess only one classic film in the bunch. Although I do know there are some sad ones out there....

Oh...and I agree about THE THORN BIRDS. I cry at the end of that also.
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

I've read through this entire thread and now I'm depressed.

I'm with everyone about the animals theme. There's one Disney movie--I think it's Homeward Bound--where the dogs can talk to each another. It's one of the last scenes, where the oldest dog (voiced by Don Ameche) has to try climbing up to his freedom and he keeps falling back down, saying, "I just can't do it. I'm too old." And it's just so sad! I'm tearing up thinking about it. Whenever I see that on tv, I have to change the channel.

Three other movies that really get me are (and they all have a similar theme, which shows I'm a sucker for these):

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - the final scene where Rex Harrison comes for Gene Tierney makes me cry buckets. It's the only movie where I can just think about it and the waterworks start.

Miracle in the Rain - again with the final scene, where Van Johnson comes back to Jane Wyman. My mother and I were watching this and I'm surprised we didn't flood the living room.

Here Comes Mr. Jordan - where Robert Montgomery and Evelyn Keyes meet in the hallway and the lights go out. It's just a really simple moment that's so romantic. God, I'm such a girl.

And though it's not as good, the last scene in the sequel Down to Earth makes me tear up--when Larry Parks is getting on the "plane" and sees Rita Hayworth again. I guess this stems from the hope that when I kick the bucket, I'll see the people that I love.

Now I'm even more depressed than I was when I first read this thread. Thanks a lot, you guys.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Marty always makes me cry. :cry:
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

feaito wrote:If we talk about newer films "Shadowlands", "Pan's Labyrinth" and "The Notebook" made the trick. They had truly devastating effects on me. I'm a sucker for dramas.

"Pan's Labrynth"--what a beautiful, lyrical and completely creepy film. That little girl is an amazing actress. The special effects and creatures were amazing--beautifully done and truly classically frightening. That creature with the eyeballs in it's palms--shivers. I teared up at the end and practically cheered when the evil stepfather got his just reward!

And I'm chicken--I deliberately avoided "The Notebook" because I knew it would make me bawl.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

Among others:

Dorothy's farewell to her friends at the conclusion of THE WIZARD OF OZ.

Frank Sinatra weeping for Laurence Harvey at the conclusion of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Just a few from the teardrop scale:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance oo
Torch Singer (Claudette Colbert precode) ooo
The Wizard of Oz oo
It's a Wonderful Life oo
Old Yeller oo
Out of Africa oo
Madame X oo
To Kill a Mockingbird ooo
Some Came Running oo
The Three Lives of Thomasina oo
Imitation of Life (Both) oo
Pocketful of Miracles oo
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington oo
Night of the Hunter ooo
Shadowlands oo
Forrest Gump oo (I don't care who laughs about this one.)
Not Without My Daughter oo
For Whom The Bell Tolls oo
The Sundowners o
Heaven Knows Mr. Allison o
The Color Purple oo
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir oo

The Remains of the Day o
Sense and Sensibility o
Showboat oo (50's version)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor