Prayers For Bobby

stuart.uk

Prayers For Bobby

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler Alert

Today I watched the tv movie Prayers For Bobby for about the 3rd time and cried all the way through it. I would describe the PFB as a Christian movie, but others might find that offensive, given the films theme.

PFB is a true story about a devout Christian mother Mary Griffith, as played magnificently by Siguorney Weaver (Maybe her greatest performance), who is anti-homosexual and can't accept the fact her deeply religious son, Bobby is gay, believing God through prayer could cure him. Bobby is so guilt ridden and saddened by his mother's beliefs that he commits suicide by jumping of a bridge.

There are so many powerful scenes in the film. It wasn't just the devasting effect Bobby's death had on his parents, but also his siblings. At Bobby's funeral the Minister condemed his lifestyle, angering his boyfriend and a liberal minded female cousin. After the funeral the cousin confronted her aunt A man who didn't know Bobby stood up and condemed him and you let him . Then as Mary began to question her anti gay beliefs, she broke down in front of a gay preacher I know why God didn't cure Bobby, because there was nothing wrong with him. . She also took responsiblity for his death.

Then at the end Mary made a speech. At first she appeared anti-gay, getting a positive reaction from the anti-gay folk at the meeting, However, she was describing the woman she used to be before her son's death. She ended her speach, aiming at Ministers, telling them, remember there might be a gay person in their congregion and be careful what thay say might destroy their spirit , or words to that effect
Last edited by stuart.uk on March 15th, 2012, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Re: Prayers For Bobby

Post by JackFavell »

That sounds really moving, Stuart. I've never seen it, but I do know that Siguorney Weaver is a far better actress than some of her light comedy roles would make you think.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler

Wendy here's the end, have your hanky ready. The film is on you tube

And here's the trailor

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks stuart!