EVELYN

mrsl

EVELYN

Post by mrsl »

I was channel surfing this a.m. and landed on this older movie starring Aidan Quinn, Juliana Marguilies and PIerce Brosnan, made in 2002 about a now defunct law concerning the right of the Catholic church to take a child/children away from one parent homes in the case of death or desertion. In this case it's the mother that leaves her husband and three children (2 boys and 1 girl), in the care of their heavily drinking, unemployed father. After a few days of the children having been taken, he wakes up and gets mad finding friends who are willing to help him fight city hall (so to speak). I understand there was some sort of collusion going on between the church and state in getting children to work at slave labor while they were kept in orphanages. This case is what caused the law to be overturned. Brosnan is the father and Quinn is the lawyer who agrees to help fight his battle in court. The ironic part is that Juliana is Quinn's girlfriend, and she end up with Brosnan.

I've mentioned this movie several time in other areas, and am happy for those who have HBO to have a chance to see this hidden gem. I've checked and it will be on several more times throughout January, so if possible, try to catch it when you can (or check your Netflix). Ladies, keep the Kleenex handy. The little girl who plays Evelyn not only has the map of Ireland on her face, that face is adorable and extremely sensitive to moods, much like the very little Shirley Temple.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Fossy

Re: EVELYN

Post by Fossy »

On the strength of mrsl`s write up of this movie, I ordered it. It arrived this morning and I watched it. What a great show! My son and his wife (who is from Co.Tipperary) will be visiting Australia in late March, and will be spending a week up here before flying home. I think she will enjoy it.
mrsl

Re: EVELYN

Post by mrsl »

Fossy:

I'm so glad you took my advice to heart. And equally happy to learn that you liked it. Thanks for making my day!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************