Love Affair or An Affair to Remember?

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Love Affair or An Affair to Remember?

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw some of "An Affair To Remember" this morning and I really enjoyed the scene with Grant and his grandmother. She is just the sweetest thing. I love how she is to Deborah. She is very warm and welcoming.

I have seen this one several times but "Love Affair" only once and so far prefer this version.

I did read one goof where near the end of the film where Grant comes to see her when he enters the room he says "Hello, Debbie" instead of Terry. Neither reacted at all.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I already commented on the previous page last time this was discussed, but other than Grant, the Dunne/Boyer movie is better. I just prefer anything with Cary Grant, if he's an option. :) He is just the consummate actor.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Although it's been a while, I've seen both films and definitely prefer An Affair to Remember. I like all four leads, but find Love Affair to be a bit remote and cool, while An Affair to Remember has more warmth and emotional involvement for the audience -- it draws one in more. And I do like the color photography. :P
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I think that I would love to have seen Cary Grant & Irene Dunne in Love Affair. I really like Charles Boyer in dramas and certain comedies (Cluny Brown & Tovarich, esp.), but I did not think he was particularly comfortable in the role of Nicky, international playboy. The storytelling & cinematography seemed tighter in Leo McCarey's earlier version too, with less sentimentality poured on. Loved Cary's looks in the later version more than when he was younger too...(she said, revealing her shallowness).

The real dilemma for me in these two versions: Maria Ouspenskaya or Cathleen Nesbitt as the hero's grandmother? Loved both of these very different actresses...oh, and BTW, I even liked Katharine Hepburn's version in the rather listless Warren Beatty-Annette Benning remake of Love Affair (1994), but that movie is worthwhile for the glimpses of the South Pacific and Ennio Morricone's equally lush score.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks