What Is Your Favorite Universal Horror?

nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

As with Lays potato chips, I find that I can't pick just one, so I will list several that I've always enjoyed, although I should point out that I like all of the Univeral horror & sci-fi movies!

Son of Dracula - although in some quarters it's become de rigeur to criticize Chaney (apparently just for being Chaney), I always thought this was one of his best parts, with his air of barely concealed malevolence (and sometimes, not-so concealed malevolence).

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man - another Chaney flick (hmm, I'm noticing a pattern here), but it's my favorite of the so-called "monster rally" pics.

The Invisible Man Returns - good sequel in which the "monster" survives.

The Mummy's Hand - best of the Kharis series, & great chemistry between the leads.

Calling Dr. Death - the first of the Inner Sanctum series, also with Chaney.

The Invisible Ray - forget the banal unhappy-wife subplot & concentrate on Karloff vs. Lugosi. Great opening depicting the coming of the Radium X meteor to earth.

And special mention to Invisible Agent for the most hilarious line (to Nazis): I pity the devil when you boys start arriving in bunches!
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

My favourite Universal horrors:

Son of Dracula (1943), brilliantky directed by Robert Siodmak, with Lon Chaney jnr giving his greatest performance as a genuinely menacing vampire, and it's the first southern gothic vampire flick!

Dracula's Daughter (1936), the first lesbian vampire movie. Gloria Holden is extraotdinary. An original and very clever little film.

The Black Cat (1934) - Edgar G. Ulmer's horror magnum opus, outrageously camp, visually stunning, and with Karloff and Lugosi both superb.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Welcome DfD! Glad you made it! I dig your avatar as well. 8)
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Welcome DfD! Glad you made it! I dig your avatar as well. 8)
Good to be here!
mickeeteeze

Post by mickeeteeze »

MikeBSG wrote:I saw the "Spanish" Dracula several years ago. It was interesting. The actor who played Dracula did nothing for me. I kept getting distracted by how big his ears were. The two performers who shone were Lupita Tovar as "Mina" and the man who played Renfield. Tovar was very bright and charming, while the Renfield actor really made the film a tragedy about a man losing his sanity. He had a far more realistic (and grim) approach than Dwight Frye.
I agree completely.
You are wise in your generation!
precoder

Post by precoder »

"Bride Of Frankenstein" for me hands-down. It's a very exciting, aimfully paced, humorous and chill-filled monster romp with Ernest Thesiger foppishly stealing scenes. The accompanying score from Franz Waxman contributes greatly and that explosive electric hair on Elsa is just unforgettable not to mention her piercing screams ... It's James Whale in steroids ...
I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great. ~ Roddy McDowell
feaito

Post by feaito »

I also choose "Bride of Frankenstein". A masterpiece. Second runner-up: "The Old Dark House". And third runner-up: "The Mummy". Honorable mentions: "Dracula's Daughter" and "Invisible Ray".
precoder

Post by precoder »

No ones mentioned "Werewolf Of London" which is good fun. Spring Byington steals all her scenes in this one interspucing her intoxicating brand of civil wit. The make-up on Henry Hull I actually like better than both Lon Chaney Jr's "Wolf-Man" and Fredric March's 'Mr. Hyde' ... I also thought the deal with the moon-flower more credible (if that's possible) than the pentagram-wolfbane idea. And somehow I've never found Evelyn Ankers to be a very good actress ...

"Werewolf Of London" would be my runner-up ...

street girl: "Gimme a big kiss Al" ...
zoo guard: "I ought not do this ... me with a wife and kids" ...
street girl: "But ya don't love your wife, ya love me. That old pale-faced scarecrow of a woman. You're goin' to leave her and marry me, ain'tcha" ...

Hilarious ... :twisted:
I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great. ~ Roddy McDowell
classicmonster

Best Universal Horror

Post by classicmonster »

My favorite Universal Horrors -

Bride of Frankenstein - a masterpiece

Frankenstein - the grand daddy of all

The Wolfman - Lon Chaney Jr's classic
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

classicmonster,
I would certainly agree with you that the Bride of Frankenstein is a masterpiece. What about it do you enjoy more than the original?

Again, welcome to SSO!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
classicmonster

Post by classicmonster »

I think what stands out about Bride of Frankenstein is the detail to the characters and the sets are outstanding.I think that is why I prefer black & white films over color.There is more texture to the scene & shadows stand out better in black & white.

Post by cinemalover »

I love black and white too and am a huge fan of early horror. Based on your user name is this your favorite genre?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
classicmonster

Post by classicmonster »

Yes it is my favorite genre.I grew up reading Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine in the mid 1970's.Back then you did not have cable tv or DVD's to watch over and over again.I also enjoy Western's, Musical's,Drama & Comedy of the 1930's,40's and 50's.