Sci-Fi on Television

mrsl

Sci-Fi on Television

Post by mrsl »

In order to not hi-jack any other threads, I thought I would give my impressions of a few shows that fall under the sci-fi category, since moviedom has abandoned the genre.

This spring and summer I have become quite a fan of the now-cancelled Charmed series. Working kept me from seeing this in it's original time frame, but now I believe I have seen all eight years worth. It had it's silly flying fire balls, and ridiculous situations, but in all, to forget your problems of the day, or week, this was a good cure all. I liked it equally as much when Shannon Dougherty was on as when she left. Her replacement was a character we have all grown to know and love by now, one Miss Rose McGowen. She was fine in her first couple of years, but the last two, she became enamored of the camera and started playing to it, instead of her co-players. I think her talk show ability is much better than her acting, but she is cute in the show.

You know I love Eureka and Jericho and am waiting impatiently for Jericho to start. Medium is re-appearing on CBS this year, but apparently they know enough not to fix something if it ain't broke. All the same characters are there, and hopefully it will continue for another couple of years.

Lovely Jennifer Love Hewitt is again talking to, and helping ghosts get to the other side, which she has finally agreed is her calling in life in the Ghost Whisperer. Again it has the same feeling as Charmed, but is often more of a tear jerker. Last season's husband taking over someone else' body was a little far fatched (a little?) but served for some entertainment. I only wish Camryn Manheim had a larger part more often.

We spoke about Warehouse 13 in another thread, thank you ms judith or Lynn (?) for his name, I knew you would know him. I hope you get a chance to watch a full episode soon so you can tell me if I have the facts correct, ma'm.

The Sy-fy channel has a few different shows coming on but they aren't really the kind that appeals to me like Stargate did. Even Stargate Atlantis never turned me on. I think I just didn't like the cast that much.

Let me know if there are others around the dial, I'm always looking for sci-fi. Criminal Minds and Millenium are both a little too gruesome for me.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Re: Sci-Fi on Television - Bones & Others

Post by mrsl »

Bones:

If you've never seen this show, I suggest you try it out, even if you're not a sci-fi fan. It really isn't sci-fi, in fact it's full of scientific facts. Temperance Brennan, an anthropologist who has some kind of genius i.q. works at a museum with a group of other eggheads who help the FBI solve murders through forensics. Seeley Booth (David Boreanaz) of Angel a few years ago is an FBI agent who, although appreciating what the 'squints' do, can't help but make fun of them. His nickname for Temperance is Bones and she drives him nuts with her lack of social acceptances. To her, everything is black and white, e.g. she doesn't understand how the story of Santa Claus is not a lie told to children. TV writers seem to have realized that the 'Buddy' system works quite well especially between male and female, but keep away from the 'Moonlighting' death knoll. The writers understand the sexual tension between Bones and Booth and keep it light although everybody else in the show know they're in love. The dialog is catchy and funny and often I have to make use of my instant replay because I was laughing so hard I missed the following discussion. It's on WFLD on Thursday night and you really should take a look.

Eureka:

Tonight is the last episode for this season which has been it's usual high level of intelligent entertainment. It's had its crazy moments, but it's always fun to see the whole town involved in the various results of the experiments that somehow go so wrong like freezing the whole town, or making it rain inside buildings. This is another well written show but more family oriented than Bones is, because of some of the things that happen. The Sy-fy channel, on Friday night.

Warehouse 13:

Also a good choice for Friday night, following immediately after Eureka. But this couple is less sexually attracted than Bones although the guy is more aware of her than vice versa. A problem I have is figuring out why and how the artifacts fall into some of the hands they manage to. But altogether, again, it's an entertaining hour.

Actually there are an awful lot of sci-fi shows on this year. Hopefully it will out-ride the theatrical thirst for blood and sick stories. My interest in sci-fi is slaked by these TV shows and luckily there is practically one on each night of the week.

Anne

charliechaplinfan

Re: Sci-Fi on Television

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Anne I'm not a big fan of sci-fi on television but I love the original Star Trek, I know it looks awfully corny but Captain Kirk, I can't tear myself away.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

CCF:

You definitely should check out Bones then, I think you would like Seeley Booth.
Anne

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

In the 70s the UKs answer to Star Trek was Blake's Seven, which was as famous for its moving sets as its plots.

We also get reruns of UFO with American actor Ed Bishop as Commader Ed Straker, made by Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson.

Anderson also made Space 1999, about a moon based crew that are transformed to another universe. It's like ST Voyeger, starring Martin Landou and Barbara Bain.

David Macallum and Joanna Lumley played alien space detetives in Saphire And Steel

However, it's Doctor Who and its spin-offs The Sarah Jane Adventures with Elisabeth Sladen and Torchwood with John Barrowman that's been the biggest sci fi success over here
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I am really enjoying Warehouse 13, in fact, much more than I thought I initially would. I am very much looking forward to the season finale this week and hope that the show goes renewed.

I especially like Mrs. Fredrickson (CCH Pounder is great in the role) and Pete.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

As I said, I've found a lot of decent sci-fi on TV this year. Most of it is very well written, and the acting is amazingly better than most of what you see in the theaters.

Lynn:

Seriously, you have to look up Bones on WFLD. It is really the best of the rest. It's not strictly sci-fi, I'm sure the explanations are all actual, but not knowing enough about anatomy, I have no way of telling. The thing is, I'm absolutely sure you will love the repartee between the detective and the whole crew of the museum. Check it out and let me know.
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I hadn't really seen any forecasts for new shows yet when I wrote the original post here. I, as a sci-fi fan am in 7th heaven this year. In addition to the shows I've already listed, there are several others that have appeared in the past two weeks. Fringe on Sy-fy, Flash Forward on ABC, Stargate Universe on Sy-fy (although I doubt it can be as good as Stargate sg-1), and there are still several others. As I stated earlier, the writing in these shows seem to be on a level far above your average TV show except for a few like the usual fare from Law and Order and CSI. Castle and the Mentalist both keep you guessing until the end, and the new NCIS Los Angeles looks interesting. I've found by watching movies during primetime, and recording all the shows I want to see, makes it possible for me to enjoy them the next day and simply fast forwarding through commercials. IT'S GRRRRREEEEEAAAAAATTT :!: :!: :!:

Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I finally got to see the season finale (at least I hope it is) of Warehouse 13. Wow! I was really blown away at how much I have come to care about these characters over such a short time (13 weeks).

Especially Pete and Artie. Artie is such a grump but at the end of the episode, I was choked up at the thought of something bad happening to him. Unfortunately, I knew from the start that Claudia was not the bad girl that Mrs. Fredrickson thought she was but that was okay. Because the last twenty minutes had my full attention.

I am so hoping this show has been renewed.

As for Flash Forward, count me in! What a great pilot. It's shaping up to be my fix for Lost since come January, it is the last season for that show.

But I loved the premise and I like the ensemble very much.

I'm in.

I'm a big fan of the The Mentalist, again for the ensemble, as well as NCIS. The LA spinoff looks interesting and I've been of fan of Linda Hunt's for years.

I still like the original recipe CSI as well. And surprisingly, Numbers has been growing on me.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

I agree with you on all you've said. I was never into Lost, but all these new ones look good. I hope they hold up for at least the season. But Lynn - You've got to catch an episode of Bones. If you have TNT, they run 3 or 4 shows every night right now, from 4 to 8:00. From the way you speak, and write, I'm sure you would find fun and entertainment in it.

I also have to say that Chris O'Donnell and LLCoolJ make a great buddy show on NCIS, Los Angeles.

Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I wanted to give you a heads up that *Warehouse 13* is returning on July 6th! I hope you are looking forward to it as much as I am. I also hope they re-run last season's finale before the new season begins as I vaguely remember the cliff-hanger (it involved Artie disappearing as I recall).

Also, it's not sci-fi, but *Leverage* returns in two weeks with a two hour premiere. TNT has a new cop show called *Memphis Beat* with Jason Lee that looks interesting. *Burn Notice* and *Royal Pains* have both returned.

Did you watch *Justified* with the wonderful Timothy Oliphant? I caught the last couple of episodes and hope FX reruns that one soon as it is a good one.

And, of course, *True Blood* returns tonight! And *Mad Men* returns next month.

Summer used to be a wasteland of reruns and reality shows but these days, thanks to cable networks, some of the most interesting shows on tv air in the summertime!

What are you excited about seeing?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

First and foremost, True Blood is off my radar. That whole vampire thing has me wondering, and I understand a lot of teens are taking it far too seriously. But about summer TV, you are so correct. I watched a couple of Ad Men on your recommendation but maybe it's because I lived it that it didn't grab me. I never warmed up to Burn Notice either, but I watched the season opener, so I might change my mind about that. I do like Royal Pains, In Plain Sight and Closer a whole lot. I think because of my fascination with both NCIS shows, Mentalist and Castle and Bones, I try to curb my other detective type of watching before they all run together.

The thing I find myself highly drawn to are medical shows like Three Rivers, Merci Medical, and 2 or 3 others. I guess I wasn't ready for ER to end, just like I still greatly miss The West Wing (since I have nobody here to talk politics with, I miss at least seeing it on TV).

I'm surprised about Eureka and Jericho. I really thought they would be back.
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anyone catch Defiance last night? I liked the "western" aspect, recognized some voices under all the alien makeup, and think I'll stick with it for a while.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard