What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

MikeBSG

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday I watched "Anatomy" (2000) directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky.

I really liked this German horror film. It is inspired by American horror films such as "Scream," but "Anatomy" has its own charm. It is about a very bright female medical student (Franka Potente) who enters an elite med school program only to find that things are not quite as they seem.

This film skillfully leaps between humor (such as the camaraderie of the med students and the pranks that they play on each other) and horror. I was very impressed. The plot is also rather thought-provoking as well.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Tingler

I waited something like a ballpark of 15-20 years to finally able to watch this Vincent Price Classic that came out in 1959. Judith Evelyn who played Mrs. Higgins was superb and I was surprised to see Darryl Hickman in this movie too - he was good too. This is a classic movie and I thought the use of Red was a genius on William Castle's part and that alone makes it's special. I know that some of you don't care for this type of a move - but its one of unique Horror Movies ever made and that's the beauty of it. Using Fear and Fright to scare out of your wits.

Vincent Price is one of those rare actors that entertains you - and a delight as well.

You Tube Trailer with an Intro from William Castle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVeuVyShnE

The Tingler

Three Great Images from that Movie that came out in 1959.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

kingrat, I know this is a little late, but I just love Things to Come. It's like no other movie. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It IS funny how little it matters that the tone is sort of one note. It's exciting and sad to watch, how accurate some of it is!

Have you seen The Man Who Could Work Miracles?

I really like Pleasantville, though it's flawed I think. I always watch it when it's on for the marvelous performance of Joan Allen. I love the part where she turns to color. I also think it was genius to have Don Knotts as the TV man.

I rewatched THE BLACK CAT recently. I haven't seen it since i was a kid and it scared the bejesus out of me. I've remembered certain parts of it for years. Well, guess what? Nothing has changed! It still scared the bejesus out of me! It's one of the best horror films I can remember seeing. Ulmer does his magic, creating a wonderful expressionistic set and mood that makes you get goosebumps. Best were the art deco 'statues' on the walls in Boris Karloff's renovated fortress/death camp. It's a claustrophobic film, very good at capturing the feeling of being trapped. Beautifully done, with one of the most chilling revenge scenes ever filmed.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Wendy, apparently the revenge scene in THE BLACK CAT was even more horrifying, with the skinned Karloff getting free from the embalming rack and crawling across the floor toward Bela. Can't in my wildest imagining picture how they ever could have got away with such a graphic presentation back in '34 but according to Greg Mank's excellent "Karloff and Lugosi" tome this scene was in the original shooting script.

You've gotta love Vincent Price. He can make the most absurd scenarios seem convincing - even when he plays a scene with tongue in cheek. Thanks to TCM's October celebration of Vincent Price films I'm developing a whole new respect for his abilities as an actor. Always enjoyed him as a young'un watching his fright flicks back in the 60s but can appreciate him in a whole new light these many years later.

BTW: It was 20 years ago today (October 25) that Vincent left us. He always joked that his headstone would read: "I'll be back". Wish that it were so.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Western Guy,

I'm very curious about what you said about that revenge scene. When I saw it this time, I was surprised that the scene was cut so short, it seemed abbreviated to me. I thought I remembered it being longer, but I think it's just my memory making it bigger than it really was because I was young and it was terribly shocking.

I've been enjoying Vincent too, even in things I used to think were kitschy. And I love John Waters' interstitial. he really nails it, so to speak. :D
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Wendy, I totally agree with you about John Waters' TCM tribute to Vincent. Actually, Waters kinda resembles Price in an odd way. Knowing of his admiration for Vinnie, wonder if that look is intentional.

You should check out Greg Mank's "Karloff and Lugosi" (or the revised version with the billing reversed). He goes into detail describing the scene that, understandably, was never filmed but apparently was an Edgar Ulmer concoction. Lots of fascinating stuff in Greg's books. Recommend highly.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "Carry On Screaming" (1966) directed by Gerald Thomas.

This was the first "Carry On" movie that I've seen, and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't great, (and it's not going to knock "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" or "Young Frankenstein" off their thrones) but it was very enjoyable.

Although the movie came out during the heyday of Hammer horror, it didn't really seem like a spoof of Hammer to me. (Although I thought the music took dead aim at the typical Hammer score.) I loved Fenella Fielding as the sexy female menace, and I think the movie (and her scenes in particular) had a bit of an "Addams Family" vibe (although with a lot more risque humor than that show was permitted.)

The curious thing was the bit about the monster's lost finger growing a new monster. That made me think of "The Creeping Flesh" from 1972. That was a pretty grim horror film with Cushing and Lee. Odd to think of it as inspired by an idea in "Carry on Screaming."

I loved the theme song for this movie.

The whole thing was very enjoyable, and I'll look for more Carry On films.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Western Guy,

I'll take a look around for the Karloff and Lugosi book. I think John Waters took that look of his from Price, but I'm just guessing. I've got no hard proof.

Mike,

I've seen one Carry On movie and enjoyed it much more than I ever thought i would. It was so much fun! I think it was Carry On Caesar, or something like that, a spoof of all those toga movies.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

JackFavell wrote: Mike,
I've seen one Carry On movie and enjoyed it much more than I ever thought i would. It was so much fun! I think it was Carry On Caesar, or something like that, a spoof of all those toga movies.
JF - must have been Carry On Cleo - the first Carry On film I ever saw, and one of the best. I was hoping TCM would have run it when they showed some early Carry On films about a year or two ago. Here is the trailer:
[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's the one, Jez! I stumbled on it by accident one day, and knew immediately what it was. I enjoyed every minute of it, despite the Carry On films' reputation. Kenneth Williams is hilarious, and that bed scene totally cracked me up. Some hits and misses with the jokes, but there are so many that it works anyway. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Like most William Castle films, THE TINGLER is entertaining. Not to be taken seriously. Just good (?) clean (?) fun. Make that...just fun!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

True. But for a kid those Castle films really delivered. Love MATINEE for its Bill Castle homage. I still maintain that the sudden appearance of the "witch" in HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL is one of the greatest "scare" moments in movies.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I love watching THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE MUMMY, and CAT PEOPLE ... CAT PEOPLE is a very unique film and I was surprised by it and I never, ever seen it and its quite good. Anyway, it's a joy watching these old Hollywood Horror Films and that's why I enjoy watching films on Turner Classics Movies this time of the year and its a treat for the ages.

These are classic movies ... bar none! :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Cat People is at the top of my list of movies... horror and otherwise. Only one film surpasses it in my book - Curse of the Cat People.

Glad you enjoyed it, Erik.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:Cat People is at the top of my list of movies... horror and otherwise. Only one film surpasses it in my book - Curse of the Cat People.

Glad you enjoyed it, Erik.

Thanks JF, and thanks for suggesting Curse of the Cat People too ... I will keep an eagle eye on that one too.