What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

RedRiver

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by RedRiver »

The community theatre where I live is doing a modern adaptation of DRACULA. For Halloween, of course! The script is from 1990-something, drawn from the book more than traditional stage shows. It's very visceral. High energy, violent; a sound and light show. I wanted to be Renfield, but they didn't cast me!

WHITE ZOMBIE is certainly worth watching. It's not one I'll watch over and over. But it's creepy, visual. Lugosi, looking remarkably like Satan, is quite good. The movie is old. Production values are low. But the murky, vague quality simply adds to the atmosphere. It's not bad.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

TCM ... Had Dr. Jeckyl and Mr Hyde on ... Starring Fredric March in wee hours of morning and I stayed up watching it again. It was a classic for the ages and I love the way March acted. It is one of my favorite horror movies ever made and it was directed by Rouben Mamoulian and it is one of his better works in the early 30's.

In IMDb ... this movie was released on New Years Eve of 1931 ... Interesting.

Anyway, I had a blast watching it and seeing the lovely Miriam Hopkins who played March's love interest as Ivy Pearson was fabulous too. And, Rose Hobart as Muriel Carew as the Showgirl was equally well that I may add.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is the best of the Jekyll/Hyde films.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

March really "brings it" in that role. I don't think I've ever seen him work harder. My admiration of that version never waivers.

At the same time, every time I watch the Spencer Tracy version, it grows on me a little more.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I suppose it might have to do with one's preference - to a point. If you enjoy the "Monster" movie, March's version definitely is the one to choose. If the psychological angle is more your cup of tea, Tracy's version is likely the better choice. What I find interesting is how the trailers for the Tracy version of DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE never offer a glimpse of Mr. Hyde, keeping his appearance blacked-out. Wonder if MGM thought by revealing a tamer makeup they might keep away moviegoers expecting a more horrific Fredric March transformation.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Both films are good.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I love the velvety blacks and the shimmering whites of the Joseph Ruttenberg cinematography in the Tracy version best...and Ingrid B. is absolutely wonderful, whether sensual, lost or desperately intimidated. though Stone's comment about one Mr. Hyde being scarier than the other made me remember a story about W. Somerset Maugham (some sources claim it was Noel Coward). When observing the leading man on the set of the Vincent Fleming version, he is said to have asked, sotto voce, "Which one is he now?"

Which Mr. Hyde is scarier--Tracy or March? I bet both have bad breath, based on my unscientific observation of these images. :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'd love to see them debate!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i prefer the tracy/fleming version all the way. march's makeup looks unintentionally funny to me and i find myself laughing at him rather than being afraid. however, it is truer to the description in the original story.

because tracy's approach is more inward, and rather like male desire gone twisted and wild, it's a depiction of psychological horror that is more impacting to me. and more believable that a woman might be temporarily seduced in the beginning. how could any woman go near something that looked outwardly so monstrous was always the question i had with the original concept.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I both Tracy's and March's Films equally well and for different reasons. And, I feel that Tracy's Hyde is better than March's Hyde because it is more scarier ... March's Dr. Jekyll is slightly better than Tracy's.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I prefer the 1920 John Barrymore "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" myself.

Last night I saw "Bride of Frankenstein" again. It was wonderful to see a small group of people utterly held spellbound by the film. It really is very stylish, and the cast is just terrific. I guess it will always be the best classic horror film (1931-46) for me.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MikeBSG wrote:I prefer the 1920 John Barrymore "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" myself.

Last night I saw "Bride of Frankenstein" again. It was wonderful to see a small group of people utterly held spellbound by the film. It really is very stylish, and the cast is just terrific. I guess it will always be the best classic horror film (1931-46) for me.
Did you see this in one of the recent movie theatre presentations of the restored Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein sponsored by TCM, Mike? People who have seen these say it is a terrific experience.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I guess it will always be the best classic horror film (1931-46) for me.

Me too.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

No, I saw 'Bride of Frankenstein" projected onto a home movie screen from a DVD. The used bookstore in town has movie night once a month, and since it was October they did a horror movie.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today my daughter and I saw "Frankenweenie" (2012) directed by Tim Burton.

It was terrific. We have seen and enjoyed the original "Frankenweenie" from the 1980s, and this is a very intelligent expansion of the story. Burton's love of classic (and even some recent) monster movies shines through in each frame, and he has given young Victor some very memorable classmates. Martin Landau gives an absolutely terrific performance as the science teacher. The movie is a gem and reminds you of how much monster movies meant to you when you were younger.

I guess "Frankenweenie," which is black-and-white, is getting skunked at the box office. However, about 20 people were in the theater with us (many of them kids) and everybody seemed to like the movie and laugh at the right moments.

This is a terrific accomplishment for Burton. I just wish people liked it more.