What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

RedRiver

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by RedRiver »

March's Dr. Jekyll is slightly better than Tracy's.

I wish they had collaborated on an animated version. HECKLE AND JECKLE AND MR. HYDE!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You NEED to get a time machine so you can go back and work at Termite Terrace, Red. You have such great ideas!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:March's Dr. Jekyll is slightly better than Tracy's.

I wish they had collaborated on an animated version. HECKLE AND JECKLE AND MR. HYDE!
That would been a hoot to do!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Hmm...Should I know Termite Terrace, Wendy? It does sound like something I'd like!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Where the Looney Tunes guys and Tex Avery came up with their ideas for Warners cartoons.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Interesting.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Actually, the Looney Tunes director Friz Freleng had a thing for the Jekyll/Hyde plot. Three of his cartoons use that theme.

Bugs Bunny meets Jekyll/Hyde in "Hyde and Hare" (1955).

Sylvester, chased by two dogs, drinks Jekyll/Hyde potion in "Dr. Jekyll's Hyde" (1954).

Best of the bunch is "Hyde and Go Tweet" (1960) in which Tweety gets into a jug of Jekyll/Hyde juice, and Sylvester's life becomes extremely interesting.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Love those, Mike! I'm a huge fan of the Warner's cartoons. Hyde and Go Tweet is really good, though all of the ones mentioned have their charms. I always love any Sylvester cartoons where he is confronted with something giant, like a monster or a kangaroo. Even better if his little son is there to egg him on.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I believe it was Mighty Mouse who encountered "Dr. Jekyll and Hyde Cat!" MM doesn't have the quality of the Warners cartoons. But try telling that to a four year-old!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't think I've seen a Mighty Mouse cartoon since I was four years old! I did love him, he was on the earliest in the morning so if you got up before dawn you could see him vanquish evil. Much better than the creepy Davy and Goliath, also on too early, who scared the crap out of me and sent me running for the safety of my bedroom whenever they were on.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've stumbled across a couple of MM entries in adulthood. Pretty bad. I don't think I've seen Heckle and Jeckle in literally fifty years! "It's never going to rain again, again!" Don't ask!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I never liked "Davy and Goliath" (we're talking claymation-style a boy and his dog, right?) and I'm Lutheran. (I think one of the Lutheran churches had a hand in "Davy and Goliath.") Just never got into them.

Youtube has a bunch of the old Terrytunes cartoons. I watched Mighty Mouse deal with "Frankenstein's Cat" last week. It is a 1943 cartoon, and it has some good fun at the Universal' Frankenstein movies' expense. Nowhere near as good as a Warners or MGM cartoon, or even a Lantz cartoon, but it was enjoyable.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yeah, the Davy and Goliath in claymation is the one I meant.... shudder
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A far cry from MORAL ORAL! I didn't know MM was around in the 1940's. I assumed it was created for TV.

The finest person I've ever known was a Lutheran pastor. I hope he's well.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday I watched "Batman: Under the Red Hood" (2010) at my son's urging.

It is an animated Batman movie that is very "dark" in the tradition of the Christopher Nolan films. I didn't like it. This was a big step down from "Batman Mask of Phantasm." The movie ripped off "The Terminator" and "Blade Runner" and other films with abandon, and some of the characters looked like Marvel characters (the Red Skull and Spiderman) with different colors.