What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

feaito

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by feaito »

While it does have some spectacular effects, it is also a multi-layered film that gives us much to think and reflect on, unlike many simplistic shockers of the seventies and beyond.
Excellently put Mr. Ark!

Give it another try RedRiver.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I keep going back and forth as to whether I think "The Uninvited" or "Legend of Hell House" is the best haunted house movie of all time. I think I give the title to "The Uninvited," but it is a very close contest.

"Legend of Hell House" is based on a novel by Richard Matheson, who also wrote "I am Legend" and "The Shrinking Man," the first three of Roger Corman's Poe films, the original "Night Stalker" movie, and several episodes of "The Twilight Zone."
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the further information on LOHH Mike

For me "The Uninvited" (1944) is also better. It's one of the best films of all time. A gem.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Just saw "The Woman in Black" (2012) this afternoon.

I never read the book or saw the BBC version from the 90s, but I have to say that this was a pretty good ghost story film. Daniel Radcliffe did a fine job as the hero, and the movie was quite atmospheric and traditional. In fact, one long sequence could be described as a "Lewton walk." (When was the last time you saw one of those in a new movie?) It is funny that we were just discussing "the Uninvited" here, because "Woman in Black" is related to the 1944 film in a couple of ways, I think.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

War of the Worlds - Starring Gene Barry and Ann Robinson 1953 Classic.

One of my favorite movies of all times - in terms of Science Fiction. I will never get tired of it. It was on American Movie Classics ... late night movie and it was great seeing it again ... Sometimes I even play the DVD on a rainy day at home for kicks and the acting of Barry and Robinson was excellent.

Enjoy these great pictures ... all seven of them!

Some great images from that movie!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

When we argue that the quality of movies has declined, we need only show Spielberg's sloppy, meandering, overdone version of this tale, and compare it to the 1953 classic. There's not a dull scene in this thing. The writing is fun and efficient. If the actors are not exactly the Barrymores, so much the better. Just say the lines and keep the story moving! Special effects? The technology wasn't what it is now. But that doesn't hurt one bit. Those Martians look pretty scary!

The other big H. G. Wells adaptation of the era is even better. George Pal's THE TIME MACHINE is just about the best of the Hollywood fantasies. Talk about the perfect double feature!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday I watched a terrific Hammer horror film, "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" (1959) directed by Terrence Fisher. It starred Anton Driffing, Hazel Court, and Christopher Lee.

The interesting thing was that it didn't really feel like a Hammer film. Almost all of it took place indoors, and it felt mostly like a '40s gaslight noir, although in its plot dynamics I could also see a resemblance to the upcoming AIP Poe films. There was a real sense of tension throughout this film, which deals with a mad scientist who has kept himself young by periodically undergoing special operations. The ending was suitably stark and terrifying.

Little-known it might be, but "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" is definitely worth a look from anyone who cares about Hammer horror.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MikeBSG wrote:Yesterday I watched a terrific Hammer horror film, "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" (1959) directed by Terrence Fisher. It starred Anton Driffing, Hazel Court, and Christopher Lee.

The interesting thing was that it didn't really feel like a Hammer film. Almost all of it took place indoors, and it felt mostly like a '40s gaslight noir, although in its plot dynamics I could also see a resemblance to the upcoming AIP Poe films. There was a real sense of tension throughout this film, which deals with a mad scientist who has kept himself young by periodically undergoing special operations. The ending was suitably stark and terrifying.

Little-known it might be, but "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" is definitely worth a look from anyone who cares about Hammer horror.
Excellent write up on this movie ... I like it too!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Unlike most people in America, I have seen both "The Avengers" and "Dark Shadows" in the past week, and I like them both.

"The Avengers" is a very well done movie. It treats all its heroes with respect (hey, it even got me to be interested about the Hulk, and that takes work), and it has a satisfying story arc. I really like Chris Evans as Captain America, although Downey, as usual, is fine as Iron Man (another hero I never cared about before the movies.) Tom Hiddleston is superb as Loki.

"Dark Shadows" is a wonderful mix of Gothic horror and nostalgic humor. The people who made the first coming attractions trailer for the movie, which made it look like a dopey comedy, should be fired. I think "Dark Shadows" might be Tim Burton's best film. Johnny Depp is in top form, and Michelle Pfeiffer was terrific. It's a shame this movie is getting hammered at the box office.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm waiting patiently for ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VAMPIRE HUNTER. Loved the book. Look forward to the movie.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Although I'm not much of a fan of Johnny Depp, I have to admit I am waiting for Dark Shadows to arrive on cable TV. From the things I've heard and read, it's a fresh, new introduction to the Collins family and their ancestors. I know Depp has done some fine work with Edward Scissorhands, the Chocolate Factory, and others, but he's so weird when he visits talk shows. He talks like he's reading a script from a movie and he dresses like he's still in costume, etc. But . . . that's my opin, and I don't expect others to agree with me.

I have to admit I kind of felt like a mother whose child had just sung it's first solo when I reread some of the remarks made about my favorite all time ghost story - The Uninvited. I saw it first when I was about 14 or 15 and just raved about it to anyone who would listen and continued doing so until this day. I don't know which I like better, the relationship of brother and sister, or the ghost creeping around the house. I love the pets not going up the stairs, and the soft crying at night, the candles blowing out, the mimosa fragrance touching the air, and the book flipping pages while nobody notices. I will never get over that movie. When it is on, no matter what else is opposing it on other channels, I have to watch it even though I finally got a copy of my own for my collection.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

UNINVITED is a fine, sophisticated creeper. I was about ten when I saw it. For years, the name Mary Meredith meant SCARY in our house!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

All the horror and scary stuff I've been watching lately has been from T.V. Grimm and Once Upon a Time is enough for me. Then of course, there is a lot more offered, just check the TV guide.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]RED RIVER[/u] wrote:I'm waiting patiently for ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VAMPIRE HUNTER. Loved the book. Look forward to the movie.
[youtube][/youtube]

I am waiting for Honest Abe Van Helsing, myself.

And also, with baited breath I might add, I am waiting to watch Tarantino rip history to shreds with this one:

[youtube][/youtube]

That's right baby! The Mave's going blockbuster and I'll probably enjoy every neuron-melting minute of it. But don't worry, I'll get to the "...Marigold Hotel" and "The Intouchables." But I've got to do "The Avengers" and "Prometheus" as well. Ohhhhhh, and thanks to a poster's F.Y.I., I'll be at the Film Forum here in NYC catching some Siodmak films AND the celebration of Universal Studio's 100th anniversary.

I...LOVE...MOVIES!!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com