Cry of the Werewolf (1944)

Mr. Arkadin

Cry of the Werewolf (1944)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Take two. Did anybody record this one? I missed the first half dealing with a young man who inexplicably wakes up at night and throws his socks out of his crib (yes, we have footie PJ's as well, but they were in the washer).
CineMaven

Re: Cry of the Werewolf (1944)

Post by CineMaven »

I'll watch it and come back and tell you if no one else does....
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
markfp

Post by markfp »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Take two. Did anybody record this one? I missed the first half dealing with a young man who inexplicably wakes up at night and throws his socks out of his crib (yes, we have footie PJ's as well, but they were in the washer).

I recorded it. PM me with your mailing address and I'll take care of you.

Mark
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't think I've seen this one either. I'd be interested in hearing about it as well. After I stop throwing my socks around in the middle of the night!
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I got an email from my bootlegger today telling me that my movies are going in the mail tomorrow morning. Yippee!

[Update: the USPS tracker says the bundle is in town and I should get it tomorrow]

One of the titles in the parcel will be this Columbia film, Cry of the Werewolf. Of course, I'm not expecting great art here. I have a copy of the film, Return of the Vampire, also made at Columbia a few years earlier, which stars Bela Lugosi and features a talking werewolf. That one has become a cult classic around my house, and I've been dreadfully curious to see this one as well.

As part of my pre-geeking exercise, I pulled up this thread, but as you can see, it's a little light on content. I'll be sure to contribute something after I get a chance to see it.

Has anyone seen this film?
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

intothenitrate wrote:Has anyone seen this film?
Mark did send me the movie (as did another source) and I think it's perhaps the best werewolf movie I've seen, and I've seen most of them. It was obviously influenced by Tourneur's Cat People (1942) (which I don't consider a werewolf film), but is slightly less complex in dealing with the good vs. evil theme, although there are some blurred edges here and there which make it quite interesting. The performances are also well done, although it does not have a star studded cast like the original 1941 film.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Thanks for the heads up, Mr A. I'm planning on screening it with my two sons (14 and 12) over the weekend. What's funny is that they saw the title Shewolf of London in my Universal boxed set and wanted to watch it a few weeks ago. I expected them to be disappointed that the whole thing was just a grisly canard, but they actually enjoyed it.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i don't think i have seen it...and unfortunately it's not on YouTube. Does anyone know if TCM is airing it this month?

when i was little the werewolf (Lon Chaney, Jr.'s in the 1941 movie) scared me more than the other monsters. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers