This week on SVENGOOLIE...

RedRiver

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by RedRiver »

"Here's Johnny!"
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It looks like Bud and Lou will confront The Invisble Man again tonight. To tell the truth, I don't remember if I liked this one or not. They're pretty much interchangeable!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:It looks like Bud and Lou will confront The Invisble Man again tonight. To tell the truth, I don't remember if I liked this one or not. They're pretty much interchangeable!

Oh Good! ... something to watch tonight! :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If anyone's interested, Svengoolie is showing THE BLACK CAT tonight. This Edgar G. Ulmer thriller was on, and discussed in this thread, a few months ago. But in case you missed it...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

If anyone's interested, Svengoolie is showing THE BLACK CAT tonight. This Edgar G. Ulmer thriller was on, and discussed in this thread, a few months ago. But in case you missed it...
After seeing The Black Cat twice, I don't think I really want to see this film again. It's and admirable film for design and the audacity of the performance by Karloff and Ulmer's daring, but it will never truly be enjoyable for this wimp.

On Jan. 4th, King Kong Escapes (1967) is on the schedule. This looks as though Rhodes Reason (the even more wooden brother of Rex Reason) appears as King Kong an American observer of the cheesiness. He should have spoken to Raymond Burr about this career move. Or at least Burr's agent, who might have advised him against this Japanese version of the Kongster.
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira, that Japanese "regular" Kong (not his steel gorilla nemesis) somehow looks like Brad Garrett as The Great One on a rant in the tv movie GLEASON which I was watching last night.

How sweet it is!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I watched KING KONG ESCAPES last night and the trailer that was posted by Moira kind of made me watch it ...

I watched this movie when I was a kid back in 1969 on the big screen (two years after its released) and I thought it was pretty darn good. I was 10 years old at the time.

About a good 5-10 years later ... I watched it again on my television set at home - it was a rainy day and my parents were gone and me and my brother watched it together and my brother was laughing pretty much the whole time and I was kind of amused by all this craziness that this movie has to offer and it was very much dated back to 1967.

Now, having watching it on SVENGOOLIE last night ... another quarter of the century later and then some - I was pretty much entertained to the point but it was pretty darn silly to see the nonsense that its brings. I was stunned to see that this movie starred Mie Hama as Madame Piranha (Madame X) who was Kissy in the James Bond Movie - You Only Live Twice that also came out in 1967. I was shocked to see her playing that part of Madame Piranha that was hosted by SVENGOOLIE last night.

Mie Hama as Kissy Suzuki

Now, that would be my last time I ever watch it ...
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Any idea what's on next week?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Now you make me wish I'd watched King Kong Escapes, Erik. I suppose that Mie Hama couldn't hang around waiting to be cast in another James Bond movie, so any work is welcome. Another wonderful Japanese actor who appeared in You Only Live Twice (1967), Tetsurô Tanba, (who was also splendid in The Seventh Dawn, another English language film set in Asia that I like), also appeared in some real clunkers, (as well as good movies), but actors are always lucky just to keep working, it seems.

I'm sure that if Svengoolie runs true to form, we'll have another chance to see this movie.

NEXT WEEK:

[youtube][/youtube]

I don't have any stinkin' "silicon" in me, so this 1957 movie should be safe for me to watch. It was directed by Jack Sherwood featuring Grant Williams (little man, what now?), Trevor Bardette, and omigosh, Lola Albright. Oy, couldn't her then-hubby, Jack Carson, get her a job?? Maybe that's why she was so grateful for Peter Gunn. This should be highly educational for me.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Moira, I would have sworn this was a Jack Arnold film if not for your informative post. It was for that reason I WANTED to like the movie. I'm an admirer of that maker of low budget thrillers. It's not one of my favorites. Not bad. Just not very exciting. I don't recall seeing it on Svengoolie's program before. Glad to see a little variety in the line-up!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

It will be the first time that I will be watching SVENGOOLIE twice in a row ... I'm really curious about THE MONOLITH MONSTERS ... and it will be the first time I seen it.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Lola Albright and Jack Carson??? Who knew!!!! :lol: :shock: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:Lola Albright and Jack Carson??? Who knew!!!! :lol: :shock: :lol:
Yeah, I still can't quite fathom that one, either (though Doris Day always spoke of him with great affection). Carson was married four times. Lola was number three in the '50s. I don't know details, but Jack's private life is usually referred to as "troubled." Too bad, since he gave so much pleasure on screen, whether playing a sleaze or a good joe.
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

great diction! Always liked her in Peter Gunn
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Rita Hayworth wrote:It will be the first time that I will be watching SVENGOOLIE twice in a row ... I'm really curious about THE MONOLITH MONSTERS ... and it will be the first time I seen it.

It's funny to quote myself here and there and I really enjoyed this - its different, unusual, and highly entertaining Sci-Fi Flick that really stands out. I liked the special effects, the music, the acting is good, but not great; and its has exciting ending and I for one wouldn't mind watching it again on TCM of which offers less commercial interruptions than MeTV and SVENGOOLIE.

I know it's a B Movie - but it's a classic and has good acting, the screenplay is very good, and most of all it's downright suspenseful and the dialogue of the actors was notably good and everyone did its part. I would enjoyed it more on TCM and I wished they show this movie on TCM someday as a part of a GRANT WILLIAMS Sci-Fi Day.

If I were to give this movie a grade from F to A ... I would give a Solid C+ to B- for its efforts in visual and cinematic appeal.

GREAT SCENE IN MONOLITH MONSTERS

FULL MOVIE ON YOUTUBE
[youtube][/youtube]