This week on SVENGOOLIE...

ziggy6708a

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by ziggy6708a »

Hibi wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:43 am Don't miss THE MOLE PEOPLE this Saturday. JOHN AGAR plus Hugh Beaumont! (from Leave It to Beaver)

:lol: :smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:43 am Don't miss THE MOLE PEOPLE this Saturday. JOHN AGAR plus Hugh Beaumont! (from Leave It to Beaver)
And it has Nestor Paiva, who, in addition to his film career, appeared on almost every television show in the 1950s and 1960s.

Hugh Beaumont, Nestor Paiva
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I was reading about The Mole People and found out the ending was a reshoot! Universal scrapped the happy ending because they didn't want to seem to be promoting INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE!!! (Humans and Mole People???) Gotta love the 50s! :D
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Hibi wrote: April 24th, 2023, 9:34 am I was reading about The Mole People and found out the ending was a reshoot! Universal scrapped the happy ending because they didn't want to seem to be promoting INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE!!! (Humans and Mole People???) Gotta love the 50s! :D
Humans marrying mole people?

A'm agin it.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I hadn't seen The Mole People in a while and was wondering why they couldn't have a happy ending, thought there must be some censor-type reason for it. What a shame, they made a nice couple.

RADA-trained Alan Napier was the highlight, playing his role as the High Priest like a combination of Boris Karloff and a Shakespearean villain. Napier was a cousin of Neville Chamberlain and was married to a great-granddaughter of Charles Dickens.

One thing that bothered me about the film was that, since the people were "Sumerians," their goddess should have been Inanna, not Ishtar. Ishtar is a slightly later manifestation of the goddess. (I studied Sumerian history/religion).

"The Descent of Inanna to the Nether World" is a poem almost 5,000 years old. It's the prototype for many similar stories. I remember reading it in my very first Theology course in college.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... nanna1.pdf
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 24th, 2023, 10:10 am
Hibi wrote: April 24th, 2023, 9:34 am I was reading about The Mole People and found out the ending was a reshoot! Universal scrapped the happy ending because they didn't want to seem to be promoting INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE!!! (Humans and Mole People???) Gotta love the 50s! :D
Humans marrying mole people?

A'm agin it.
:D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: April 24th, 2023, 10:35 am I hadn't seen The Mole People in a while and was wondering why they couldn't have a happy ending, thought there must be some censor-type reason for it. What a shame, they made a nice couple.

RADA-trained Alan Napier was the highlight, playing his role as the High Priest like a combination of Boris Karloff and a Shakespearean villain. Napier was a cousin of Neville Chamberlain and was married to a great-granddaughter of Charles Dickens.

One thing that bothered me about the film was that, since the people were "Sumerians," their goddess should have been Inanna, not Ishtar. Ishtar is a slightly later manifestation of the goddess. (I studied Sumerian history/religion).

"The Descent of Inanna to the Nether World" is a poem almost 5,000 years old. It's the prototype for many similar stories. I remember reading it in my very first Theology course in college.

And despite being an ancient civilization, they speak English! (as they all do in these type of films)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: April 24th, 2023, 12:57 pm
Swithin wrote: April 24th, 2023, 10:35 am I hadn't seen The Mole People in a while and was wondering why they couldn't have a happy ending, thought there must be some censor-type reason for it. What a shame, they made a nice couple.

And despite being an ancient civilization, they speak English! (as they all do in these type of films)
That's right. I think one of the Sumerians says: "They speak our tongue." I took that for cinematic license, meaning since the visitors were archeologists, they knew Sumerian; just like a Hollywood movie set in Europe with European characters would be speaking English. Sumeriologists had deciphered a fair amount of Sumerian by the time the movie was made. This was the first book on the subject that I read, it's still on my shelf, more than 50 years later.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, no subtitles required!
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

5/6: Blacula (1972) w/ William Marshall, Denise Nicholas, Vonetta McGee, Gordon Pinsent and Thalmus Rasulala. Plus Ketty Lester, Elisha Cook, Jr., and The Hues Corporation.

5/13: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966) w/ Don Knotts, Joan Staley, Liam Redmond and Dick Sargent.

5/20: The Thing with Two Heads (1972) w/ Ray Milland, Rosey Grier, Don Marshall, Roger Perry, Kathy Baumann and Chelsea Brown.

5/27: The Killer Shrews (1959) w/ Ingrid Goude, James Best, Ken Curtis, Baruch Lumet and Gordon McLendon.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LiamCasey wrote: May 1st, 2023, 10:39 am This month on Svengoolie...

5/6: Blacula (1972) w/ William Marshall, Denise Nicholas, Vonetta McGee, Gordon Pinsent and Thalmus Rasulala. Plus Ketty Lester, Elisha Cook, Jr., and The Hues Corporation.

5/13: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966) w/ Don Knotts, Joan Staley, Liam Redmond and Dick Sargent.

5/20: The Thing with Two Heads (1972) w/ Ray Milland, Rosey Grier, Don Marshall, Roger Perry, Kathy Baumann and Chelsea Brown.

5/27: The Killer Shrews (1959) w/ Ingrid Goude, James Best, Ken Curtis, Baruch Lumet and Gordon McLendon.
I confuse The Thing with Two Heads (1972) with The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant (1971). But I just looked them up, and now I understand. I wonder if the earlier film inspired the one made a year later; or were two heads just a thing in the early 1970s?
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Swithin wrote: May 1st, 2023, 7:43 pm I confuse The Thing with Two Heads (1972) with The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant (1971). But I just looked them up, and now I understand. I wonder if the earlier film inspired the one made a year later; or were two heads just a thing in the early 1970s?
Looks like a bit more than just inspired. A quick IMDb search indicates that those two movies share a producer (John Lawrence) and a writer (James Gordon White).
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

LiamCasey wrote: May 1st, 2023, 10:39 am This month on Svengoolie...

THANKS!
I'm always up for Blackula! It'll be a party night!
Pretty tired of Ghost & Mr Chicken, although loved it since childhood.
Have NOT SEEN Thing With 2 Heads since seeing it in the theater as an 11 year old! (perfect age for that sort of thing) Let's see if it still works for me.
Killer Shrews. Meh.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

TikiSoo wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 6:51 am Killer Shrews. Meh.
Can only slog through the MST version.

Any MTS3K fans out there notice the Pluto MST3K Channel has unceremoniously replaced streaming all the classic Joel & Mike episodes with some new wanker cast episodes?
Sorry, it's not about ridiculing the screen....they don't "get" it.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

TikiSoo wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 6:51 am

THANKS!
I'm always up for Blackula! It'll be a party night!
Pretty tired of Ghost & Mr Chicken, although loved it since childhood.
Have NOT SEEN Thing With 2 Heads since seeing it in the theater as an 11 year old! (perfect age for that sort of thing) Let's see if it still works for me.
Killer Shrews. Meh.
Blacula is a good one, though I am sure there was be some bleeps for curses and slurs as well as a few cuts in violent scenes. Same thing for Thing With Two Heads which is one of the most hilariously bad movies ever.

A good thing about Svengoolie being on for 21/2 hours now is that he will (I would hope) be able to show the entire movie of Ghost And Mr. Chicken since before it had to be cut for time constraints.