The best sci-fi available right now

mrsl

The best sci-fi available right now

Post by mrsl »

Siince you can't really see sci-fi right now in the movies, only sci-fi with horror added, the best thing to do is check through your T.V. guide (either paperback or electronic on cable or dish), and check out some programs. The best, to my way of thinking is Grimm (Friday night), check your local listing. This is a everyday guy whose name is Grimm, and a cop but until recently, did not know that meant something special. It turns out he's a hunter and killer of bad people and elements that only he can see. In the first season he met up with a reformed wolf, and became friendly, and just at the end of last season, he was forced to tell his partner about himself and his friend (Monroe). Then we have the Falling Skies, another goodie that mixes horror, bugs and lizards, and robots to their fullest potential. Once Upon a Time is a fairy tale, but not one you would have the kids watch to fall asleep to. Somehow, in a good way, the writers have taken all the fairy tale characters and transpose them every week from their medieval times, and imagined countries to a small town here in the New England area where they live their every day lives until their names come up on a child's fairy tale book. Then we get their back story from back in the day, to today and what is happening to them now. There are a lot more scattered around on all the cable channels but even someone like me who loves sci-fi, would get sci-fi-logged if I tried to watch all of them. Many of them are on the 6 to 8 week schedules, where they share a time slot with another sci-fi program, and ( I love this part ), if you miss an episode, have no fear because if they are not on On Demand, usually before they give up the time slot, the channel has a day of marathon watching, where they show the whole season. The only problem with this is sometimes you get hooked on a show, and if it doesn't gain a large enough audience to please the suits, then it is yanked. This happened to me with Haven, and I'm still mourning it's loss. But if you like movies like Them, The Thing, The Day the Earth Stood Still, etc., movies that can frighten you but not make you sick, look through your T.V. guide and you might find something you'll really like.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Re: The best sci-fi available right now

Post by mrsl »

Here I am talking to myself again. I was wrong when I said Haven was cancelled, thank goodness. The new season started in late September and is now almost over, but again it had some truly unusual story lines. All of the weird things that happen are caused by the inhabitants of Haven itself and the problems are referred to as"The Trouble" The lead girl has something to do with 'the trouble' but we still don't know what that is - she's still trying to find out herself. There are a few characters who have me confused as to whether they are friends or foes. Whatever the case, it's definitely worth DVR'ing on the SyFy channel on Friday night 9:00 p.m., or watching the later viewing at 11:00 p.m.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************