Peter Capaldi the new Doctor Who

stuart.uk

Peter Capaldi the new Doctor Who

Post by stuart.uk »

Peter Capaldi has been announced as the new Dr. Who, though I gather it was announced on American tv at exactly the same time as in the UK. It's interesting that an older actor has been cast in role for the first time since probably Jon Pertwee. I was hoping myself for a female Doctor and gather Sue Perkins was a popular choice, but I think the producers might go down that road the next time the role comes up. Peter has previously guested, not only in Dr. Who, but also the John Barrowman spin-off Torchwood.

I was also thinking back to the film Local Hero in which Peter had a supporting role oppisite Jenny Seagrove. The films biggest star was an eldlery Burt Lancaster, but I couldn't tell you the name of the American lead or what became of him. After the film, the actors who shot to fame were Seagrove and Denis Lawson, but for a while Capaldi slipped under the radar. However, in recent yrs it's he that seems to be having the enduring career.
Swithin

Re: Peter Capaldi the new Doctor Who

Post by Swithin »

Pete Capaldi's work as Dr. Who has come and gone since this thread began.

My two favorite Pete Capaldi performances on film are in The Lair of the White Worm (1988) and more recently in Benediction (2021), in which he plays the older Siegfried Sassoon. Both great, and totally different performances. I saw him on stage at the Young Vic in 1983, playing John Lennon in John, Paul, George, Ringo... and Bert, a play by Willy Russell.

LawrenceA

Re: Peter Capaldi the new Doctor Who

Post by LawrenceA »

I knew Capaldi from In the Loop, in which I thought he was hilarious. I understand that it was spun off of a TV series, but I never saw that. He also had small part in World War Z.

I liked the stories told by Craig Ferguson about the two of them being in a punk band together when they were young.
Watching until the end.