Movie in a movie

CharlieT

Movie in a movie

Post by CharlieT »

I was noticing that many times a movie contains a scene in which another movie is either shown in a theater or on TV. Sometimes a movie marquee is shown with a title of a recognizable film posted. Try to name the movies that contain the following movie references. (The listed movies may appear in more than one film, but since I'm not an expert in the film industry, I have a specific one for each listed film reference.)

1. A Christmas Carol (1951)

2. A Christmas Carol (1938)

3. It's A Wonderful Life

4. The Bells of St. Mary's

5. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

6. Dumbo

7. An Affair to Remember (easy one)

8. Golddiggers of 1933

9. Camille

10. Top Hat

There probably many more - feel free to list some of your own.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I know that "Bells of St. Mary's" is showing in Bedford Falls, as George Bailey runs down the middle of the street. And Meg Ryan and Rosie O'Donnell are watching "Affair to Remember" in "Sleepless in Seattle".
What a fun idea!
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Correct on both counts. :lol:

A little hint - 2 of the film references are in the same motion picture.

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

One more set of hints, then if no one wants to play, I'll pull the plug on this game.

1. Action movie

2. Drama (with action)

3. Holiday comedy (with action)

4. solved by knitwit45

5. Same as No.3

6. Comedy

7. solved by knitwit45

8. Drama

9. Musical

10. Drama

Good luck!

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

#9 is "Annie". Totally forgot the scene at Radio City Music Hall, when even Daddy Warbucks cries....
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

That's one more for knitwit45. Good job!

Moraldo Rubini

Cough

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

A lot of these are driving me crazy, as the answers are on the tip of my brain. For instance, I know that I have #9 - Camille filed in my grey matter. Now, it was featured in Garbo Talks, of course; the Anne Bancroft movie. But there's another one: one where the reference didn't make sense. I remember the action took place outside a movie theatre where Camille was playing. It was a period piece, and it didn't make sense, but I can't remember why. I think it was that the movie was taking place in the 1920's, yet the main characters were seeing Garbo's Camille, which wouldn't have been released yet. Or maybe they were implying it was a silent.

Am I close?

Five minutes later: Yes! The characters of this mystery movie go to a silent film; but the film was Garbo's Camille (which, of course, really wasn't silent). Arrrgh.

Three minutes later: Words and Music?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Number 10 "Top Hat" is featured in Woody Allen's "The Purple Rose of Cairo".
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

There's a scene in Vincente Minnelli's THE LONG, LONG TRAILER (1954) starring Lucy and Desi where the two of them are driving the trailer through the middle of town. Threre's a movie theater in the background of one of the shots and, on the marquee, is THE BAND WAGON, Minnelli's big film from the year before.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

In The Chosen, the more secular of the two young men takes his orthodox Jewish friend to see his first movie. It's a 1940s musical, and I think it's called The Thrill of a Romance, with Esther Williams and Van Johnson.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

It is time to reveal the answers. As I said in my original post, some of these might have appeared in more than one film, but I had a particular one in mind for each one.

1. A Christmas Carol (1951) was playing on TV when Gary Busey's character entered the home of Danny Glover's character and Scrooge asked "What day is it?" and Busey answered "It's ******* Christmas Day" and shot out the television in Lethal Weapon.

2. A Chistmas Carol (1938) was just beginning on TV (although the music playing was "Jingle Bells" - go figure!) with Rocky and Adrian watching when brother Paulie came in a little under the influence of Christmas spirit in Rocky.

3. It's A Wonderful Life was playing on a small TV in the kitchen as Billy's Mom was preparing food and crying over the below mentioned scene in the movie Gremlins.

4. As knitwit45 earlier noted, The Bells of St. Mary's was on the marquee of the Bedford Falls movie theater as George Bailey was running down the street rejoicing in a second chance in It's A Wonderful Life.

5. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was playing at the theater to the delight of all of the gremlins in the movie Gremlins.

6. Dumbo was playing at the theater and bringing a tear to the eye of Robert Stack in the movie 1941.

7. Again knitwit45 solved this one noting that An Affair to Remember was featured frequently in Sleepless in Seattle.

8. Golddiggers of 1933 was playing at the theater that the Barrow gang took refuge in after their first heist in Bonnie and Clyde.

9. And knitwit45's third successful answer was figuring out that Camille was playing at Radio City Music Hall when Daddy Warbucks took everyone to the movies in Annie.

10. Top Hat was the last request of wrongly convicted murderer John Coffey in The Green Mile.

These were the movies that I was thinking of when I posed the question. Just because some of you might have found a different solution, it doesn't mean you were wrong. It just means that there are several more of these out there to be offered for the fun of it.

Thanks for playing.