Movie trivia?

LawrenceA

Re: Movie trivia?

Post by LawrenceA »

My guess is Karen Black and Barbara Harris, who both appeared in Robert Altman's Nashville(1975), and Alfred Hitchcock's Family Plot(1976).
Watching until the end.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

LawrenceA wrote: December 27th, 2022, 11:32 am My guess is Karen Black and Barbara Harris, who both appeared in Robert Altman's Nashville(1975), and Alfred Hitchcock's Family Plot(1976).
LawrenceA, you are correct.

Barbara Harris and Karen Black were the two actors, and you correctly identified the the two movies they were both in and the director of each movie.

It is interesting that Barbara Harris said that she found working on FAMILY PLOT more satisfying than working on NASHVILLE. She had a background in improvisational theater (she was a member of the Compass Players and later The Second City). Robert Altman encouraged improvisation from his actors while Alfred Hitchcock disdained it.

You turn.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

In his autobiography, this famous classic-era star stated that the ex-husband of an actress he co-starred with in a crime drama went to see the film repeatedly just to watch the star manhandle his ex.

Name the film and the two stars.
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: December 27th, 2022, 2:32 pm In his autobiography, this famous classic-era star stated that the ex-husband of an actress he co-starred with in a crime drama went to see the film repeatedly just to watch the star manhandle his ex.

Hmmm...now I know I've heard this one (perhaps from Eddie Muller during one of his wraparounds), but I can't remember the principals here.

(...how's about a hint, Lawrence?)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Dargo wrote: December 27th, 2022, 7:47 pm
Hmmm...now I know I've heard this one (perhaps from Eddie Muller during one of his wraparounds), but I can't remember the principals here.

(...how's about a hint, Lawrence?)
There's a particularly famous scene involving fruit.
Watching until the end.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

LawrenceA wrote: December 27th, 2022, 2:32 pm In his autobiography, this famous classic-era star stated that the ex-husband of an actress he co-starred with in a crime drama went to see the film repeatedly just to watch the star manhandle his ex.

The movie was THE PUBLIC ENEMY with James Cagney and Mae Clarke. The ex-husband of Mae Clarke who supposedly went to see the movie multiple times was Lew Brice (who was the brother of Fanny Brice).
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

That's right, Holden. Your turn!
Watching until the end.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

A prominent playwright wrote lead roles for the same performer in two different plays, but the performer did not appear in the original stage productions of either play.
However, when the plays were adapted into movies, the performer who had inspired the playwright played the roles in the movie adaptations.

Name the playwright, the performer and the two movies.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 28th, 2022, 2:38 pm A prominent playwright wrote lead roles for the same performer in two different plays, but the performer did not appear in the original stage productions of either play.
However, when the plays were adapted into movies, the performer who had inspired the playwright played the roles in the movie adaptations.

Name the playwright, the performer and the two movies.
Here's a hint:
The performer was female.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 30th, 2022, 1:39 pm Here's a hint:
Was the performer related to the playwright?

No? That's one down and nine to go. Miss Arlene Francis . . .

"I haven't got a clue."
That makes two of us.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Whenever I hear playwright and female performer, I think Neil Simon and Marsha Mason, but that's as far as I get.
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: December 30th, 2022, 8:05 pm Whenever I hear playwright and female performer, I think Neil Simon and Marsha Mason, but that's as far as I get.
In my case, it would be these two:
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

EP Millstone wrote: December 30th, 2022, 6:45 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 30th, 2022, 1:39 pm Here's a hint:
Was the performer related to the playwright?

No, the performer was not related to the playwright.

Another hint:
The playwright was American; the performer was not.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Is it Tennessee Williams, who wrote The Rose Tattoo and Orpheus Descending for Anna Magnani? Maureen Stapleton played the the lead in Rose Tattoo on Broadway
For the movie version, Orpheus Descending was renamed The Fugitive Kind. (I had to lookup the information of this movie.)
When in doubt, have another one.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Arsan444 wrote: December 31st, 2022, 12:40 pm Is it Tennessee Williams, who wrote The Rose Tattoo and Orpheus Descending for Anna Magnani? Maureen Stapleton played the the lead in Rose Tattoo on Broadway
For the movie version, Orpheus Descending was renamed The Fugitive Kind. (I had to lookup the information of this movie.)
Arsan444, you are correct.

Tennessee Williams wrote the roles of Serafina Delle Rose in THE ROSE TATTOO and Lady Torrance in ORPHEUS DESCENDING for Anna Magnani, but Maureen Stapleton played those roles in the original Broadway productions of both plays.
In THE FUGITIVE KIND (the movie adaptation of ORPHEUS DESCENDING), Maureen Stapleton played the smaller role of Vee Talbot

It's your turn.