Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

nightwalker wrote:Would you be Hugh "Woo-Woo" Herbert?
"Woo-woo! Scrubbing bubbles, scrubbing bubbles." That's the one.

I was thinking after I wrote the challenge about the WB cartoon of "The Courtship of Miles Standish," where the Hugh Herbert-based Miles loses the Edna May Oliver-inspired Priscilla Mullins to telegram boy Elmer Fudd. That's a gem.

"That'uw be a dowwar, seventy-five-- cowwect!" (in Elmer Fudd-speak)

Got one for us?
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

A new mystery guest signs in and says:

In my youth I was quite athletic and played football in high school.

After graduation I joined the military, where I saw action in Mexico and France. While there, as with so many others, I was exposed to poison gas. As a result of the damage to my lungs, I was pensioned out of the service and became a reporter, eventually moving to Hollywood.

As a result of an illness caused by my wartime injury, my appearance changed. I was spotted by a noted director while writing a feature on a film he was making, which led to many bit or extra roles, although there is one part for which I am particularly noted among mystery/horror fans.

Although I passed on quite a number of years ago, my likeness is used for an award statuette (no, NOT Oscar!) given for excellence in "research, appreciation and film restoration" within a cartain genre.

Who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

No one has yet responded. I hate to hog the floor on this thread - it is for all of us, gang, don't be shy.

But I will say - I sound like Tyra Banks on America's Next Top Model - "the next name that I am going to say is:"

Rondo Hatton.

A gentle man with a hatchet face, and a name that makes me think of a cowboy in a string quartet.
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

Yes, Judith, you are correct!

Tell the truth: you've played this game before, haven't you?

Rondo Hatton is the man of the hour. As a result of being gassed in World War I, he suffered from acromegaly, a disease which, among other things, can cause an enlargement of the bones in the head and, concomitantly, a distorting of the facial features.

The role for which he is probably best known is that of the Hoxton Creeper in the Sherlock Holmes film THE PEARL OF DEATH (1944). Hatton revisited the character in HOUSE OF HORRORS and THE BRUTE MAN (both 1946).

He died of a heart attack which is believed to have been related to his disease.

Nowadays, the award it's possible to win is called a "Rondo" !

Anyone have another?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

At TCM, some of us played these games on the Killer Level. I can give you much harder challenges than the ones I've been posting. If anyone is interested in starting a Masters thread, I'm game.

Remember our "In Other Words" thread on TCM? You had to describe a movie by using roles that the stars had played in other movies, such as describing Vivien Leigh in GWTW as a "London streetwalker" (as she was in Waterloo Bridge). That could sometimes take hours/days to present and corresponding hours/days to figure out.
melwalton

who am I?

Post by melwalton »

jdb 1
Hi, been reading past posts on your thread (wasn't here when they were posted). You have a truly, wonderful thread, I hope it goes on forever, I was very impressed with how Knowledgeable the posters are. I'm looking forward to the mentioned 'master' one although I could guess only a few (very) of the mysteries. This is GREAT fun, Good for you.
If it will help keep things going, I could contribute a couple. like this: I'm a beautiful blond, born in LA, got my start in a musical on Broadway..I played in films in the mid thirties,, one a musical with Jack Benny, I danced and sang with Robert Taylor on screen, My birth name was impossible for show business so I changed it to a name that is very poetic. In the late 30s an actress came along with the same name; I sued and won the suit, The court made her change her name for show business in spite of the fact that it was her real ( birth ) name and not mine., easy one.
feaito

Post by feaito »

June Knight?
melwalton

who am I/

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Feaito.
BINGO!, You're not only good, you're fast. also, your turn, mel.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Mel,

I'm not so good at giving clues, but I'll do my best....

I was born in the Old Continent and entered Hollywood films late in my life. I was primarily a stage actress and adhered to the Stanilsavsky method. I was Oscar nominated for my first screen role in one of the finest, most adult dramas ever made in the 1930s (at least in Feaito's opinion :wink: ), by a masterful director, also born in Europe. From then onwards I appeared in supporting roles in a number of Hollywood Classics. Who am I?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Are you Maria Ouspenskaya?
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yes Charlie T. You nailed it!

Your turn now.

The film I referred to was "Dodsworth", one my favorite movies, for which she was nominated for an A.A. (she lost to Gale Sondergaard I believe).

She later appeared in string of Classics: "Love Affair", "The Rains Came", "Waterloo Bridge", "The Mortal Storm", "Kings Row"...
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Thanks. Here goes:

I am one of those actors that everyone recognizes. In fact, in my most famous movie, recognizing me was something of a game. I was nominated for 2 Oscars, but failed to win. I do have a star on the Walk of Fame.

I fell just short of appearing in 100 films in my career. In fact, my last film appearance came almost a year after I died. I had a distinctive voice and, some say, classic good looks. One of my films was set in a foreign country, but most of the characters didn't try to affect an accent (which was probably good for me and the male lead, who also had a distinctive voice.)

I started in silents, but was never in a television production. Nonetheless, I appeared on TV annually for several years. I appeared in one short in which I played myself.

Who am I?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

CharlieT wrote:Thanks. Here goes:

I am one of those actors that everyone recognizes. In fact, in my most famous movie, recognizing me was something of a game. I was nominated for 2 Oscars, but failed to win. I do have a star on the Walk of Fame.

I fell just short of appearing in 100 films in my career. In fact, my last film appearance came almost a year after I died. I had a distinctive voice and, some say, classic good looks. One of my films was set in a foreign country, but most of the characters didn't try to affect an accent (which was probably good for me and the male lead, who also had a distinctive voice.)

I started in silents, but was never in a television production. Nonetheless, I appeared on TV annually for several years. I appeared in one short in which I played myself.

Who am I?
Hmmmmm . . . . Are you Frank Morgan?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I certainly am, Judith.

Frank Morgan, who appeared annually on TV in The Wizard of Oz in 5 different roles.

Both he and Jimmy Stewart would have been interesting trying on Hungarian accents in The Shop Around the Corner.

And his final film, Key to the City, was released in August of 1950, eleven months after he passed away in September of 1949.

And he appeared as himself in The Great Morgan.

Next?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's one:

Do you know me?

My father wrote a very successful play, which was made into an equally successful film by de Mille. Dad wrote a part for me in another play, and my career was launched. I appeared in several Broadway plays in the 1920s, and then decided to try my luck in Hollywood. I was a supporting player in several films in the 1930s, and then did a lot of radio work, including recurring parts in two popular soaps.

Back on Broadway, I and several of my colleagues made a very famous contribution to the war effort, and we appeared in a movie about it as well. In the 1940s I appeared in more Hollywood films, generally as a loyal and concerned parent. Unfortunately, my rather liberal leanings got me in hot water in the late 40s, so I and my elegant French spouse decided to leave the country. We spent the rest of our days elsewhere; we opened our home to the artists and intellectuals of the day, and I published several books on my favorite hobby, cooking. I did a little more acting in the US, mostly on TV - my last appearance was on a popular soap opera of the day.

Who am I?