Do You Know Me?

feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Judith, Charlie and Dewey, I've had lots of fun guessing your "mystery" guests. This game is fantastic! If only I had the talent to come up with clues... guess I'm only good at guessing :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's one to ponder over the Glorious Fourth:

Do you know me?

I had an eventful life. I was born Way Out West, but was sent to live with relatives in Canada after my father passed away. My mother went to medical school, and opened a practice back in our home town, where I and my sister rejoined her.

I loved theater, and became a member of one of America's oldest summer stock companies. I married young, and lived with my spouse in Argentina, where my children were born. I retained my Spanish-speaking abilities for the rest of my life.

I played small parts on Broadway when I came back to the States after a divorce. George S. Kaufman cast me in one of his comedies. I tried my luck in Hollywood, and in my second feature film I co-starred with Katharine Hepburn.

I had a long film career, and made a successful transition into television.

I had a sweet face, a sweet nature, and a somewhat unusual name, which was my real name. I always seemed to be cast as somebody's parent. In real life, I had a long relationship with one of Hollywood's most eccentric characters.

Who am I?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Spring Byington?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:Spring Byington?
Absolutely correct!

Byington joined the Elitch Garden Summer Stock Company of Denver, which purports to be America's oldest summer stock company, in 1904.

Her second feature film was "Little Women," in which she played Katharine Hepburn's mother.

She had a long-term relationship with the dynamic character actress Marjorie Main.

And Spring Byington was her real name.
precoder

Post by precoder »

Why did you guys stop playing ? I just the whole thread ... Fun game ...

May I ?

Do you know me ?

I was born in Florida. I had a tonsillectomy when I was young which I feared would ruin my chances of becoming a great singer. But I redirected my focus from opera to popular contralto and forged on. Rudy Vallee found me and put me on the radio. I had a shot on Broadway in 1931 in "Here Goes The Bride" but it flopped. Walter Wanger heard me sing at Cole Porter's birthday party and immediately signed me to a movie contract without ever even having a screen test. I broke through in 1935 with my first movie, found great success at Decca records and later got a personal citation from General Eisenhower ...

Who am I ?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

precoder wrote:Why did you guys stop playing ? I just the whole thread ... Fun game ...

May I ?

Do you know me ?

I was born in Florida. I had a tonsillectomy when I was young which I feared would ruin my chances of becoming a great singer. But I redirected my focus from opera to popular contralto and forged on. Rudy Vallee found me and put me on the radio. I had a shot on Broadway in 1931 in "Here Goes The Bride" but it flopped. Walter Wanger heard me sing at Cole Porter's birthday party and immediately signed me to a movie contract without ever even having a screen test. I broke through in 1935 with my first movie, found great success at Decca records and later got a personal citation from General Eisenhower ...

Who am I ?
Hello fellow Trivians. I've been reading, but not posting, for a while. I'm glad precoder has been keeping sharp and it's a good question.

So - - - - are you Frances Langford?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

jdb1 wrote:
Hello fellow Trivians. I've been reading, but not posting, for a while.
I'm just glad you're back. I was thinking of you yesterday while I was watching Stan and Ollie in "Flying Deuces."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
precoder

Post by precoder »

YaY ... And I'm glad this game came back ...

And Yowza ... We have a new winner ... It is Frances Langford, one of my favorite singers ... One of the best too ...

Over to Judith ... :D :D :D
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

precoder wrote:YaY ... And I'm glad this game came back ...

And Yowza ... We have a new winner ... It is Frances Langford, one of my favorite singers ... One of the best too ...

Over to Judith ... :D :D :D
Thanks, Chris. I was in a restaurant when "Flying Deuces" was shown (on the bar TV), and I watched the whole thing in reverse in a mirror, which gave it a whole new perspective.

Now, precoder, here's one for you:

The general movie-going public may not be familiar with my name, but they certainly know my image. I am fluent in several languages, and have made movies in all of them. I have also appeared on the stage around the world, including on Broadway.

I am usually associated with a particular director, but I have made films with many famous directors, including one of America's most popular contemporary directors, one who would probably not be readily associated with my body of work.

My career has spanned almost 60 years. One of my films is one of the most well-known and popular in the US, but most of the attention is focused on my young co-star. I played the title role, however, and it's my image that was used in the posters and ads.

Another of my films recounts a very familiar story; the casting of me in the starring role was somewhat controversial at the time. This film is generally broadcast on TV at a particular time of the year.

My most famous movie is still shown, discussed and studied to this day, although it was made 50 years ago. One still picture from that movie has become one of the most famous and instantly recognizable images in international cinema.

Who am I?
precoder

Post by precoder »

Hello Judith ... Thanks for the puzzle ...

BTW my name is Benji and I'm happy to be meeting you ... :wink:

Okay here's my best guess ...

Are you Ingrid Bergman ?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I'm probably way off, but I'm going to guess Max Von Sydow.

Controversial as Jesus in The Greatest Story Ever Told, which is shown around Easter every year.

Associated with Ingmar Bergman (and the image of Death playing chess from The Seventh Seal is internationally famous.)

Starred in The Exorcist with younger co-star, Linda Blair, but was the figure in the image on the posters and ads.

Other than that, I can't make any more connections. Of course, that's not even mentioning Strange Brew with Bob and Doug Mackenzie. :D
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Good guess, Benji, but CharlieT is right - I was thinking of the very pleasantly tall, blond, and iconic Max von Sydow.

Strange Brew: what a hoot to see the internationally revered von Sydow in it. And who could forget his Ming the Merciless in "Flash Gordon?"

Me, I'll always remember him best in that sauna in "The Virgin Spring."

The floor is open . . . . .
precoder

Post by precoder »

aw nertz ... Good puzzle though. I had a list of people. I never considered Max ...

Show's where I am (?) ... :oops:
I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great. ~ Roddy McDowell
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Mind if I chime in? ( I love this game, too.)

I was the first woman lawyer in the state of Texas, and my family ran an antique store in San Antonio. I later moved to Hollywood and antagonized Joan Fontaine, Ingrid Bergman, and Anne Southern on the silver screen.
I also co-starred with Ava Gardner.

My career spanned 16 years, and I specialized in Dickensian-type portrayals.
I am the great-grandmother of an actress and comedian.
Last edited by Sue Sue Applegate on August 4th, 2007, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Florence Bates !