Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi Judith -
Are you Stu Erwin?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Dewey1960 wrote:Hi Judith -
Are you Stu Erwin?
Well, I'm not, but the Mystery Guest is. Hooray!!

Care to do one?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Okay, Judith, I'll give it a go.

Our "mystery guest" was REPUTED to be the illegitimate son of none other than Orson Welles and actress Jeanette Nolan who REPUTEDLY had a love affair some time in 1943.

Nolan was for some time a member of Welles' Mercury Theater Players and, at the time was married to a well-known and versatile character actor. Ms. Nolan REPUTEDLY became pregnant with Welles' love child who was born in 1944. Nolan and her husband raised the baby as their own, repairing their damaged marriage in the process. The son grew up to be a fairly popular actor himself (bearing an uncanny physical resemblance to Mr. Welles) but tragically died at a relatively early age after appearing in a handful of films in the late 70s and early 80s. This highly talented (and recklessly self-destructive) young man also fronted a little known rock band in the 70s. They issued at least one LP.

Who is the mystery guest?

disclaimer: the incidents regarding the above were related to me by the director (and close friend) of one of the late, great mystery guest's films.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Tim McIntire .
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Right you are, Ken!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Do you know me?

I appeared in more than 200 productions in film and TV over my long career.

I was in one of cinema's most talked-about but rarely seen movies.

My distinctive speech and manner were often imitated. Another famous star of my era based her appearance and sound on me.

I was part of a successful team in early sound films -- we were one of the few popular non-male teams of the time.

My name, as well as my manner, have often been parodied.

I loved to cook, and was an expert candy maker, going so far as to put out a cookbook of my candy recipes.

So, who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Looks like those thinking caps aren't on very securely.

Here's a hint:

Hand on cheek, roll large blue eyes heavenward:
"Oh, dear . . . . . . . ."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Would it be Eliza Susan Pitts?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

movieman1957 wrote:Would it be Eliza Susan Pitts?
ZaSu it is, Chris! Well done.

To explain some of the clues:

Pitts was in von Stroheim's Greed, a film of cinematic legend that isn't shown nearly enough (TCM is running it in July). To me, who loves the book "McTeague" upon which Greed is based, Pitts is perfect casting as McTeague's wife Trina.

Mae Questal reputedly based her characterization of Olive Oyl on Pitts.

Pitts teamed with Thelma Todd in a series of comedy short subjects for Hal Roach.

Who's got another question?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I haven't done one but I'll give it a go.

Do you know me?

When I grew up I had small parts in movies with John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Tracy & Hepburn.

I was a professional dog breeder and hunting guide.

When I sang love songs in my movies I had a pretty lousy voice but that was just acting. I could really sing pretty well. When I was young my biggest problem was I always had a bad hair day. I was in a team too.

Who am I?
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

movieman1957 wrote:I haven't done one but I'll give it a go.

Do you know me?

When I grew up I had small parts in movies with John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Tracy & Hepburn.

I was a professional dog breeder and hunting guide.

When I sang love songs in my movies I had a pretty lousy voice but that was just acting. I could really sing pretty well. When I was young my biggest problem was I always had a bad hair day. I was in a team too.

Who am I?
Sounds like Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer to me. Is that who you are, Mystery Guest?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You are absolutely right.

Let's see what you've won. A chance to go next!!!

Congratulations.
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Try this one:

I came from a very hardscrabble childhood, and got the acting bug when in a small town high school.

I changed my last name because of the unpleasantness in Hollywood during the late 40s and early 50s; I named myself after a structure at a studio.

I played many smallish parts in many movies. I was in several TV series, but I was hardly a big star. Then, in the 1960s, I began to be noticed. I was offered roles in a series of wildly popular foreign films that scored tremendous hits in the US and made an international star out of the actor who did play the leads. However, by that time I started to have some real success of my own, and at one time I was the world's number 1 box office attraction.

In Europe they called me "The Ugly One," and in Asia my exotic looks lead people to believe I was Asian myself, although I am not (except possibly through long-ago ancestry). Although I appeared in a lot of comedies in my career, I am remembered as one of cinema's consummate tough guys.

I was involved in a Hollywood romantic scandal while making a very popular war film, but it all died down and I settled into a very happy marriage.

Who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hint:

The lady in the photo appeared in a 1970s sitcom, where she expressed a keen interest in seeing our Mystery Guest with his shirt off.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's more:

Our Mystery Guest appeared in several very popular films in the 60s that featured manly ensemble casts. In one of them, he spent most of the film in a hole, portraying a character very similar to men he grew up knowing.

In one of his early films, a comedy, he was knocked down by a woman in a fight - she was a woman who won most of her fights.