Do You Know Me?

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Debbie Reynolds.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:Debbie Reynolds.
Close, but not quite.

Whenever I see our MG being a mom on a sitcom (usually as the mom of the star), I always say "Well, I guess Debbie Reynolds wasn't available for this one."

Our MG won an award that Ms. Reynolds has not yet garnered. Remember also that I said she was named for a very famous star - a star who was a #1 box-office draw in the days of big studios.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Shirley Jones?
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Because she was named for Shirley Temple and won her Oscar for her role in Elmer Gantry?

feaito is a font!

This is such an interesting thread. I've learned so much here thanks to you, Judith ( and Fernando, too!).
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes, Fernando, and Yes, Christy. Our Mystery Guest is Shirley Jones.

She was named for Shirley Temple, and she was Miss Teen Pittsburgh as well. Her stepson David Cassidy and her son Shaun Cassidy achieved some degree of fame as rockers, due in part to the success of "The Patridge Family," which starred Shirley and David as mother and son.

On one of those behind the scenes show, both David and Shirley said that their casting in the show was a coincidence.

I've recently seen Shirley in re-runs, playing the mother of Hilda and Zelda in "Sabrina, The Teenage Witch." On "The Drew Carey Show," Shirley played a woman who had an affair with Drew.

Anyone have a new MG?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Shirley having an affair with Drew Carey OH noooooooooooooo ! :roll:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Do you know me?

I'm one of those character actors whose career went on seemingly forever. My entry on IMBd lists an astonishing 250 screen appearances.

I started performing on stage as a child, with my parents, and after attending UCLA I started making movies, and never stopped. I played all sorts of supporting roles -- I was one of those figures in the near background whose face you knew, if not her name. I've been in dramas, comedies and musicals, but mostly comedies, because I loved getting laughs. I have also appeared in two New York shows, one off Broadway, and one on Broadway. The latter was my final appearance.

I was a favorite of a particular comic/director who some consider a genius. I made 11 movies with him, some while he was still part of a team, and the others when he was on his own.

Two of my best-known roles: in one I gave examples of beautiful elocution, to no avail; in another, I was a stern taskmaster who sent two unlikely crusaders on a holy mission. These two movies were a generation apart.

Who am I?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Sounds like Kathleen Freeman. I know she sent Jake and Elwood Blues on their "mission from God." And of course, her face was one of those that you would see in about everything that you saw from the mid-fifties until the early seventies.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

That was such a great clue, Judith. And Charlie T, I think you've got it right.
Then that would make the comic/director Jerry Lewis?
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes to Kathleen Freeman, and Yes to Jerry Lewis. Freeman was great at what she did, and it seems like she did it in more movies & TV shows that just about anyone.

CharlieT is right about my reference to The Blues Brothers. The other clue I gave, about elocution, was a reference to her small part in Singin' in the Rain, where she tried to teach Lina Lamont to say "I cahn't stahnd him."

Freeman is one of my favorites, and probably a favorite of most movie buffs. She could play just about anything; she did dialects, she sang, and she was in quite a few dramas. I think as a little girl I first noticed her as Katie, the harried maid of the ghost-ridden Toppers in Topper. It's reported that she was considered for the part of Alice in The Brady Bunch, but I don't think her career suffered too much for not getting the role.

I remember her in a made for TV drama which was shown on public television years ago -- it was called "An Apple, An Orange." It was about two immigrant women, one Dutch, one Chinese (played by Beulah Quo) who tried to share an apartment, with unhappy circumstances. Freeman's character was in turn horrified and then jealous of her roommate, and made things very difficult for her. Freeman was excellent.

Freeman's last appearance was in the Broadway show "The Full Monty." Already suffering from lung cancer, she passed away while the show was still running.

My favorite image of Freeman comes from "Support Your Local Sheriff," where, as a gossipy townswoman, she can't stop laughing as she relates the hapless exploits of Joan Hackett's character. She was one of entertainment's best.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

OK - I've got another one:

Do you know me?

I started out as a solo act, but I'm best known for being part of a group act. When I was a kid I did some boxing, which stood me in good stead for the kind of work I did as an adult. I did all right in the ring, but I generally got the worst of it on the stage and screen. One aspect of my screen appearance was considered very outlandish in my day, but wouldn't get much attention these days. In fact, the looks of everyone in my group were a bit unique then, when conventions were different, but don't seem so odd today, when people look and dress as the spirit strikes them.

My classic Hollywood work is still popular today. I was in over 200 movies, many of which are still shown regularly on TV. The voice of a very popular Nickelodeon cartoon character was based on my sound, according to the actor who portrayed it.

My easy-going nature and generosity were well-known in Hollywood. I was always a soft touch for any of my friends down on their luck, even if it meant giving away my last dollar, which I frequently did.

Who am I?
Last edited by jdb1 on November 27th, 2007, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

My first thought was Curly Howard, but he didn't have enough film appearances. Then I thought I'd check out Larry Fine. He seems to fit the bill. Is it Larry, Judith?
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

CharlieT wrote:My first thought was Curly Howard, but he didn't have enough film appearances. Then I thought I'd check out Larry Fine. He seems to fit the bill. Is it Larry, Judith?
You would have been pretty close with Curly Howard, Charlie, but you hit the bullseye with Larry Fine. He is the Mystery Guest, and a real sweetie pie he was. Now, as Moe would say . . . . spread out, you mugs!

The floor is open . . . . . .
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Hello, new mystery guest!

By the age of 12, this mystery guest was playing the piano with the Los Angeles Junior Symphony Orchestra. Her father was an oil company executive and her mother was an accomplished pianist and teacher who guided her daughter's early musical career. Nicknamed "Dolly", our guest was often employed on the silver screen as a lighthearted second lead, but also had several starring roles, one with a man who became even more famous in his exploits once he "retired" from film.

She disliked playing the piano for people, however, and viewed her foray into acting as a kind of rebellion.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Is it Diana Lynn? I guess the co-star you refer to is Ronald Reagan, the Chimp Master in "Bedtime for Bonzo."

Lynn was a hoot in "Miracle of Morgan's Creek."