Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Re: Who Am I ?

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:I was born in Ireland and played " Wild Bill " Donovan in a Warner Bros. film. I played opposite Bette Davis, Myrna Loy, and Barbara Stanwyck in a famous pre - code film. My wives included Ann Sheridan and Ruth Chatterton. :wink:
Are you George Brent?
Moraldo Rubini

Buck Cantrell?

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Could that be George Brent?

~~~~~~~~~

Ack! I didn't see there was a second page until I'd posted. :oops:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Mr. Rubini ( aka " Jack Burley " ),
You are correct ! -- The film in which George Brent played " Wild Bill " Donovan was " THE FIGHTING 69th ", the famous Irish fighting unit from NYC. I wonder if anyone from Brooklynn was allowed to be a member of this fighting force ? :wink:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

George Brent?
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Sorry, I didn't see the second page either.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It appears that I was the first on the buzzer with "George Brent."

However, I'm happy to pass the baton to another questioner.

Gentlemen . . . . . ?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1,
I'm sorry that I missed your posting of George Brent. Another " senior moment ", by your humble servant. I was NOT intentional. :cry:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Do you know me?

I was a very popular actor in action movies, but I was nationally well-known before I ever made a film.

A fact that was not very well known was that in addition to my acting career, I also co-wrote over a dozen songs, most of which were recorded by well-known artists, including Dean Martin and Teresa Brewer.

I died quite young, and my gravesite, in a place where quite a few famous people are buried, is to this day visited by thousands of people each year. Only one other national figure interred in the same place has more visitors than me.

Who am I?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Who am I?"

Hi Judith. I believe we're talking about the legendary AUDIE MURPHY.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Dewey1960 wrote:Who am I?"

Hi Judith. I believe we're talking about the legendary AUDIE MURPHY.
BINGO!

Audie Murphy is the man. Well done.

The floor is open. C'mon folks, you all know so much - don't be shy about posing a question.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Alright, Judith, here comes one that shouldn't be too tough!

I was an up-and-coming young director with one tremendously successful film under my belt for Universal when it was discovered that I was having an illicit love affair with the script girl--who just happened to be the wife of a Universal executive! My contract with the studio was immediately terminated and I was, in effect, blacklisted for the duration of my career. And, while I would subsequently direct many pictures for poverty row studios and independent producers for the next thirty years, I never again worked at a major Hollywood studio. I did, however, marry the script girl. Who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Let's elucidate before we continue:

Audie Murphy is, as you might expect, buried at Arlington National Cemetary. The only other gravesite there to attract more annual visitors is that of JFK. I've seen both, and it is quite a moving experience.

By the way, Dewey, who is that in your current avatar - is it Alan Freed?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

jdb1 wrote: By the way, Dewey, who is that in your current avatar - is it Alan Freed?

That's right; Alan Freed is one of my (many) pop culture heroes. Have you ever seen the wonderful film about him, AMERICAN HOT WAX?

Here's a re-entry of the current WHO AM I? question:

I was an up-and-coming young director with one tremendously successful film under my belt for Universal when it was discovered that I was having an illicit love affair with the script girl--who just happened to be the wife of a Universal executive! My contract with the studio was immediately terminated and I was, in effect, blacklisted for the duration of my career. And, while I would subsequently direct many pictures for poverty row studios and independent producers for the next thirty years, I never again worked at a major Hollywood studio. I did, however, marry the script girl. Who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Dewey1960 wrote:jdb1 wrote: By the way, Dewey, who is that in your current avatar - is it Alan Freed?

That's right; Alan Freed is one of my (many) pop culture heroes. Have you ever seen the wonderful film about him, AMERICAN HOT WAX?

Here's a re-entry of the current WHO AM I? question:

Yes, I saw "American Hot Wax," which was like walking down memory lane. They certainly tried to cram every available song into it, didn't they?

I always like to give everyone who wants to a chance to answer these questions, but there don't seem to be many people on the board today. I have an answer to your question --

Are you Edgar G. Ulmer?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

jdb1 wrote: "Are you Edgar G. Ulmer?"

YES, Edgar G. Ulmer is absolutely right! The enormously successful film he did for Universal was, of course, THE BLACK CAT (1934) with Lugosi and Karloff. Sadly (for him), it would be the last big studio film he would ever direct. However, films like DETOUR, BLUEBEARD, STRANGE ILLUSION, CLUB HAVANA, RUTHLESS, THE MAN FROM PLANET X and many other so-called "poverty-row" quickies would come to define him as one of Hollywood's most eclectic directors.

PS: AMERICAN HOT WAX is my favorite rock and roll movie of all time! The late Tim McIntyre turns in an astonishing performance as Freed, the New York disc jockey whose career was permanently ended in 1959 during the Payola scandals. Also in the cast, as I am sure you recall, are Fran Drescher and a young (and still funny) Jay Leno. Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Screamin' Jay Hawkins all appear and perform as themselves! This film has never been released on home video because of complicated music rights issues; you're right--there are literally dozens of great, classic rock & roll and rhythm & blues songs on the soundtrack! The vhs copy that I have was taken off Cinemax about fifteen years ago. I never tire of watching this beautiful film! (Thanks for the opportunity to digress!)