Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Try this one.

I lived in more than one other country before settling in the US, but all of them were English-speaking. I've had a very long career, beginning in radio, and I had my own show in early TV. One of my later TV shows was a pretty big hit, and is still shown, or at least talked about, to this day. I've had as much success working with non-humans as with humans, in both film and TV. I am still active these days, but you are more likely to hear me than to see me.

Who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Need a hint? OK

My most famous TV co-star had a lot to say, but never actually uttered a word.

I myself have done lots of talking for others, most of which talking was heard on Saturday mornings before the advent of cable. Now you can hear it just about any time of day on certain networks.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's another hint:

My two most famous animal co-stars (one in a film, one on TV), were diferent species, but both had manes.

I was also the only colleague who had faith in a time traveller.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Alan Young. 8)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:Alan Young. 8)
Correct!

Young co-starred with a lion in "Androcles and the Lion" and of course with Mr. Ed on TV. He was Rod Taylor's faithful friend in "The Time Machine." He is still active as a voice actor - you've probably heard him in many Disney animated features, especially those made for television, and he was a voice on "The Smurfs," as well as for many other cartoons.

Young was born in England, and lived in Scotland and Canada before settling in the US.

Who's got another one?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I was born in Chicago 100 years ago. I co - starred in a landmark film noir dealing with hate. I also starred in three TV series, 2 successful, one not. I was married only once for a very long time. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:I was born in Chicago 100 years ago. I co - starred in a landmark film noir dealing with hate. I also starred in three TV series, 2 successful, one not. I was married only once for a very long time. :wink:
Are you Robert Young?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Yes, I am Robert Young . 8)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's a hint to the next one: the mystery guest's last name isn't 'Young.'

Do you know me?

I was a descendant of a very famous historical figure, whose surname I shared. I generally played the same kind of role, but I did it very well, and even won an Oscar for doing it. I was very proud of my heritage, and I always insisted that I was framed when my own country (or at least, its politicians) turned against me. I became disillusioned with Hollywood, and turned to Broadway with some success. Later in my revived career, I was seen on several TV shows in the daylight hours.

Who am I?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Anne Revere, a descendant of Paul. She was a victim of the Hollywood blacklist. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:Anne Revere, a descendant of Paul. She was a victim of the Hollywood blacklist. :wink:
Ken, you are smokin'! That is correct.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's another one:

Do you know me?

I started on the stage as a teen, but Hollywood beckoned. I got a contract primarily because I resembled another popular actress. She had one of those Hollywood glamour girl nicknames, and my studio gave me one as well, but it never caught on.

I never got much screen time, and played only supporting roles. I did study singing, though, and performed in numerous USO shows. My voice got me a part in a Cole Porter show that made me famous. I played the part in cities other than New York as well, but when a film version was made, I wasn't used at all. I appeared several times on stage in long-running plays as a replacement for the original star.

I held a distinction during my time in Hollywood due to a physical attribute (nothing naughty!).

Who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here are more clues:

The nickname given to me by the studio PR people was "The Fire and Ice Girl." That may not ring any bells - as I said, it never caught on.

Many people aren't even aware that I was in the movies at all; they think of me as a Broadway star. During the time I was appearing in my biggest hit, I appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show. Maybe you saw me -- in one of the numbers I wrecked a dinner table.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

When I tell you the answer, you're going to slap your foreheads and say "Yes, of course!"

The answer is Patricia Morison.

She had many supporting roles in films in the 1940s. She got a contract on the basis of what the studio thought was her resemblance to Dorothy Lamour. She did many USO tours as a singer, and was spotted by Cole Porter, who cast her as the lead in "Kiss Me Kate." She was an instant success, and did the show in London as well.

Her claim to fame in Hollywood was that she supposedly had the longest hair of any actress.

She is one of those actresses whose face you recognize, but whose name you can't remember. I remember her best as Kennan Wynn's overbearing society girlfriend Georgina in "Without Love" (he threw her over for Lucille Ball).
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Let's not let the warm weather doldrums get us down - put on those thinking caps!

Try this one:

Do you know me?

I was a comic/character actor in the early days of sound whose career stretched into the early days of TV.

I was one of the stars of Judy Garland's first feature film (she did not get top billing). I was also the star of a popular series of movies based on an equally popular comic strip.

On early TV, I was one of the first "dumb dads."

Who am I?