Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Ah, mes amis - our Mystery Guest is one of filmdom's icons.
Here's another hint:

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I wanted to guess "Sean Connery", but the Asian reference threw that out. Then I thought maybe it was "Dean Martin", but he was not one of Hollywood's consumate tough guys. "Victor Mature" could qualify as Big Ugly (apologies to all of his fans), but he didn't seem to fit the bill.

We're trying, Judith - just not making much progress. :oops:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I know you're thinking hard, folks. I'm trying to give clues without giving too much away. Do you recognize the gun in the photo? Our MG used one like it to take the law into his own hands in several wildly successful, and very violent, films. There are many posters of him aiming that gun.

Here's more:

Hank Azaria imitates the manner of speech of our MG very often for ancillary characters on The Simpsons (not as Edw. G. Robinson; someone a generation later).

Recall also that the MG appeared in several movies under his real name early in his career, but changed it because of the negative connotations such a surname had in the 1950s. Nevertheless, in some of his later roles he played a person of just that ethnicity.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Charles Bronson ? :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:Charles Bronson ? :wink:
Hoorah!! You are correct, Ken.

According to Wikipedia, Charles Buchinsky changed his name to Bronson, taking that name from the Bronson Street gate of Paramount Studios.

I threw in the part about getting the acting bug in high school from personal hearsay: the father of a man I met several years ago was an English teacher, whose first job was in a small high school in western Pennsylvania where Charlie Buchinsky was a student. Said father also ran the school drama club, of which Charlie was an enthusiastic member. And so a star was born.

I hope all of you, who never have done, will get to see episodes of Cloris Leachman's MTM spinoff "Phyllis," just to see the great and venerable Judith Lowry salivating at the thought of going to the movies and maybe seeing "Charles Bronson, with his shirt off!" That was a hoot.
Last edited by jdb1 on November 27th, 2007, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I have another one:

Do you know me?

I made more than 200 films and appeared in over 100 TV shows. I started out as a stage actor, where my excellent speaking voice made me a natural for Shakespeare.

I've played a biblical patriarch, a clergyman, a Roman citizen, a beggar and a mad scientist, among many other roles. I've been inducted into the Cowboy Hall of Fame as well. I was equally comfortable playing the villain or the good guy.

My physical appearance, and especially my voice, are instantly recognizable. In my later career, I very often parodied the parts I played earlier on.

All of my children are in show business too.

Who am I?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

You (mystery guest, that is) could only be John Carradine.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Dewey1960 wrote:You (mystery guest, that is) could only be John Carradine.
And so he is. Good on ya, Mate.

How about one from you?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

No response yet from Dewey, so I'll throw out another one in the interim:

I was born in a city that was once the capitol of an empire.

My appearance and heavy accent made me a natural to play authority figures of foreign background, but the exact foreign background varied from picture to picture.

I was in over 100 movies and TV shows. I've acted in stories of just about every genre. I often played a kindly figure, but was also often cast as a character whose allegiance lay on the other side of the Iron Curtain.

I've played supporting roles with stars such as John Barrymore, Gary Cooper, Ray Milland, John Wayne, Hedy Lamarr, Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe. I was also in Hitchcock movie.

Who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

More info:

I was nominated for a Golden Globe for playing a Russian, and nominated for an Oscar for playing a Norwegian.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Could it be Mischa Auer?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:Could it be Mischa Auer?
Alas, no. It's someone who generally played parts more menacing than did Auer.

Here's another clue:

Our Mystery Guest played a scholarly researcher in a comedy that featured a famous drummer.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Oscar Homolka?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:Oscar Homolka?
Yes!! Oscar Homolka is the man.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Don't be shy, folks. It's really not hard to do. Here's another:

Do you know me?

When I started acting, I was given the name of a famous historical person, because I looked like I could play the part.

I was a supporting playing in some of cinema's most popular and famous films. I generally played either a villain or an authority figure. I can be seen in a supporting role in one of the films in TCM's "Screened Out" series, a drama. I played the same role on Broadway.

I was married to one of Hollywood's tragic figures. My son is also an actor.

I appeared in well over 100 films and on TV - I was the lead in my own series at one time as well. That series gave many opportunities to Hispanic actors.

Who am I?