Choose a companion

charliechaplinfan

Re: Choose a companion

Post by charliechaplinfan »

jdb1 wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:No, you can't have Mr Laurel without upsetting Mr Hardy and vice versa.

What about Peter Lorre's naughty ways, I didn't know he ranked as a one of film's naughty boys.

Do you regret ot waiting around for Anthony Perkins? He does sound a nice guy, I'm sure he'd have been really nice to you all, you might even of got to eat it in his company.
Peter Lorre was a notorious ladies' man. He must have had several extra helpings of charm to help overcome his deteriorating looks.

The Tony Perkins incident highlights the change in how we view celebrities now. Back then, we thought we had colossal nerve to even consider going to his house, uninvited. The idea of waiting around for him was just too much for us; we were too young and not bold enough. I believe you are right - he would have been nice to us, but we were just too shy. About two years later, we did something similar with Valentine's candy for the TV comedian Soupy Sales, and this time we were old enough to have the courage to make our presence known (we went to the TV studio), and he came out and talked with us, and he took the candy. Nowadays, I don't think twice about talking to celebs in the street, or at least saying hello.
Peter Lorre was cute though, perhaps that made all the difference.

I'm glad you plucked up enough courage to speak to Soupy Sales. Did you ever see Garbo out on the street? Would you have talked to her?

It's reminded me of my Mum, we have very few celebrities in Chorley, we do have an ex rugby captain called Bill Beaumont, not that Mum would have known why he was famous. One dinnertime she had gone to the local pool for a swim and spent a good half hour talking to one of my Dad's friends only he didn't happen to know her, it didn't stop her though, when Dad joined her in the pool he thought what on earth could she be talking about to Bill Beaumont. She'd simply recognised the face and presumed he was Dad's friend. Dad was embarrassed but not my Mum and Bill Beaumont thankfully was awfully polite.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Well it seems Orson Welles is proving popular, I always thought he would be.

You must have Gena too ChiO. I can't imagine one without the other.

Agnes Moorehead seems pretty booked up, anyone wanting a night with her will have to ask PT very nicely.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

charliechaplinfan wrote:
You must have Gena too ChiO. I can't imagine one without the other.
I CAN! :idea:

I can easily imagine Cassavetes scowling his way through an overcast NY January, while Gena & I motor down the Pacific coast of Mexico in a finely tuned Triumph Stag convertible, pausing at amusing terra cotta hamlets to sample the local cantinas, and bask in the afternoon weather while taking in the coppery ocean vistas. 8)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Moira's Monday is:
John Houseman.
He would be (potentially) fascinating. Let's just make sure he and Orson aren't at the table together. Of course, if he's Prof. Kingsfield -- the most frightening character of a legal persuasion in Movie/TV history -- I'd make a run for it.

But somehow he reminds me: Can I have an afternoon tea with Jonathan Rosenbaum, James Naremore, Andrew Sarris, Dave Kehr and Manny Farber? Just to lightheartedly kick around some movies?

And Klondike: Sorry. Gena is with us. I want to hear her tell him that he's the most brilliant director she's ever worked with...and the worst husband. I just know that he'd break out that smile that melts my heart.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Interesting Thread ... I glance this out of curiosity.

Here's my rundown starting with Sunday

Sunday Night Dinner - John Wayne - So that I can talk to him about all the great westerns and war movies that he did in his lifetime talking about True Grit, The Green Berets, The Longest Day, and everything and everything in between. I admire him so much and will ask him why in the world you did that awful movie The Barbarian and the Geisha in 1958.

Monday Night Dinner - George C. Scott - So that I can talk to him about his outstanding performance in Patton. His portrayal of Patton was incredibly good - my most favorite World War II General of all times. His performance so magnificent - I watch this movie in awe at least 1-2 times a year. I admired his conviction to refuse to accept the Best Actor in 1970. He is so unreal in this epic film.

Tuesday Night Dinner - Peter Sellerss - So that I can talk to him about his work in the Pink Panther Series, congratulate his performance in Being There and most importantly - and tell him that his performance in Dr. Strangelove was unforgettable. His comedic abilities always made me laugh - he carried on the traditions of Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, and Buster Keaton with pride and dignity. He was very versatile in many ways.

Wednesday Night Dinner - Christopher Reeve - So that I can talk to him about his courage and conviction concerning his feelings about stem cell research. He was very noble about it and took a stand for it. I know he didn't do many movies but his role as Superman - especially his 1st and 2nd movie was beyond epic. I will tell him why you did a 3rd and 4th like that?

Thursday Night Dinner - Marilyn Monroe - So that I can talk to her about her feelings about being an international sex symbol and share my feelings about her incredible performances in Diamonds are a Girl Best Friend and Gentlemen Prefers Blondes. She is one my favorite actress - she was very good with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in Some Like it Hot that was made the year I was born. That movie always cracked me up. Her chemistry was so good with these two male co-stars and I get a kick out of seeing these two gentlemen actors in drag. Her Sex Appeal is dynamite.

Friday Night Dinner - Raquel Welch - So that i can talk to her about her performances in the Three Musketeers, 100 Rifles with James Brown, Bedazzled with Dudley Moore. Going back to John Wayne - I will ask her why in the world you made that awful movie Myra Breckinridge with Mae West and John Huston in the 60's? It was so bad - its ten times worst than the Barbarian movie that Wayne did. I love her in Fathom and she exudes sex appeal.

Saturday Night Dinner - Rita Hayworth - I seen half of her movies - you all know why I love her. I will talk to her for 1 hour; get the conversation over with so I can wine and dine with her and dance the night away with her with love and passion. I want her to wear the sexy black evening gown (complete w/opera gloves) that she wore in GILDA and sing Blame on Mame Boys and say sweet nothings all night long. I want to be romantic, divine, and see the dreamlike gorgeousness with awe and respect. I will be living in a fantasy like no other ...
charliechaplinfan

Sounds like you'd like Saturday night every night of the week Kingme.
norfious

Post by norfious »

This was fun to think about, but difficult to really make a decision! In reality, I think I would just like to listen to each one of these people talk about their life and experiences. Unfortunately, if this were real, I would probably just sit there in complete awe, mute as usual, looking like a slack-jawed idiot. :|

-------------------------------------------
Sunday:--Ronald Colman. Nothing sounds more appealing to me than strolling through the park on Sunday morning, conversing with this velvet-voiced English gentleman. This would make the upcoming work week much less painful.

Monday:--Reginald Gardiner. At least just to hear his train story!

Tuesday:--Joan Blondell. She could show me how to be more assertive, and teach some of those great one-liners and wisecracks!

Wednesday:--Buster Keaton. What better way to celebrate Hump Day than to laugh with the king of comedy?

Thursday:--Leslie Howard. It'd be great to have a real English tea break with Leslie! I could definitely learn a thing or two about the art of speech from this well-spoken and eloquent man.

Friday:--Joseph Calleia. Silly, yes, and I don't know how exactly this idea started, but I think it would be incredibly awesome to have a Friday night card game with Joe. :|

Saturday:--Marc Platt. I'd love to spend my Saturdays learning to dance and chatting with Marc! Not only would he be an incredibly knowledgeable instructor, but he seems like he's a nice enough and more importantly patient enough guy to deal with me and my lack of coordination. :) Hearing about his experiences in the Ballets Russes and the musicals he starred in would be really enjoyable, too.
--------------------------------------

This may sound silly, and I again don't know how the idea was initially planted in my mind, but I always imagine that it would be a blast to hang out with Reginald Gardiner, George Sanders, and Joseph Calleia all at once. Seems like they'd be an interesting group.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
charliechaplinfan

I think they'd be a really interesting group. I like your choices, I admire everyone on your list, quite a few Brits in there too, just like me :)