Admitted thievery from TCM

mrsl

Admitted thievery from TCM

Post by mrsl »

They have a thread going there that is quite interesting, to me at least. It involves things you do, know, or encourage you because of classic movies. For instance:

You know the history, science, literature and geography questions on Jeopardy not from knowledge you learned in school, but from movies.

You broke up with a girl because you had to explain the difference between Dick Powell and William Powell.

Mine is: Oh, ducky. I heard it in a movie as a child and I've been saying it all my life - I don't remember the movie, but that is my standard reply.

Any from you?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

Anne,

I don't know if this really has to do with your topic, but I've always liked the phrase "forever and a day" and heard it the other day in HBO's production of As You Like It. This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if the play is where this phrase originated?
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

My guess would be the play is the origin of the phrase. It's amazing how many expressions and phrases from Shakespeare are still used today.

Now, if I was good I'd give you some examples, but the ol' brain isn't coming up with any... :?

Sandy K
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

"Forever and a day" is actually a legal phrase from English common law - it's meant to cover all bases, making any agreement valid even longer than forever.

One still-used phrase from "As You Like It" is "layed on with a trowel," in the sense of excessive verbiage. I watched the HBO movie, but there was so much text cut out -- I didn't hear that phrase used (spoken, I think, by either Rosalind or Celia early in the play). Did anyone catch it?

I couldn't understand a lot of what was spoken, especially by Ms. Howard, whose classical diction needs work.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Ah, thank you Judith for that info!

I watched about 10 minutes of this version of As You Like It the other day, but I didn't care for the Asian setting. I didn't come in at the beginning, so I didn't understand why the forest of Arden seemed to be in China.

Sandy K
laffite

Re: Admitted thievery from TCM

Post by laffite »

I watched a movie the other day that changed my life.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country