Universal Restorations

pvitari

Universal Restorations

Post by pvitari »

Posted on Home Theater Forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/3 ... re-for-hd/

Universal posted their Q2 report today. You may be interested in some of the on-going projects.

Mastering & Restoration

- Completed 4k feature restoration project: Spartacus

- Continued to work on the 4k restorations of: “Animal Crackers”, “Cocoanuts”, “Duck Soup”, “Horse Feathers”, “Monkey Business”, My Man Godfrey” and “Shanghai Express”. These will be completed in Q3

- Began 4k restoration work on “Ghost of Frankenstein”, “Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman”, “House of Dracula”, “House of Frankenstein”, “Son of Frankenstein” and “The King of Jazz”. These will be completed in Q4

- Began 4k restoration work on silent features: “Last Warning”, “Oh Doctor” and “Outside the Law”. These will be completed near the end of 2015

- Began film element research and scan tests for the 4k restoration of “One Eyed Jacks”, Marlon Brando’s only directorial effort. This work is being partially funded by the Film Foundation

- Completed standard (non-restoration) feature re-mastering work on “Phantom Lady”. Also began standard re-mastering work on “Something for a Lonely Man”, “Winchester ‘73”, “Desperado Outlaw Wars” and “Desperado Badlands Justice”

One-Eyed Jacks!?!! Finally! :)

Re Spartacus: This restored version is already announced for Blu-ray release on October 6; an earlier Blu-ray was widely panned and hopes are high for this new one:
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Universal Restorations

Post by movieman1957 »

Wow, working on the Marx Brothers.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

My Man Godfrey! Looking forward to seeing that in a non-blurry, fuzzy print.
Major Rogers

Post by Major Rogers »

Glad to see Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein, and Fr. Meets the Wolfman getting the treament.

Son of Frankenstein is one of the best movies in the whole shebang -- Bela Lugosi as Ygor and Basil Rathbone as the young Dr. Frankenstein. This movie more than any other influenced all the in-jokes of Young Frankenstein.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Major Rogers wrote:Glad to see Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein, and Fr. Meets the Wolfman getting the treament.

Son of Frankenstein is one of the best movies in the whole shebang -- Bela Lugosi as Ygor and Basil Rathbone as the young Dr. Frankenstein. This movie more than any other influenced all the in-jokes of Young Frankenstein.

I like Son of Frankenstein and I've just wanted to thanks for sharing it today and how's it's influenced the nature of Young Frankenstein.
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

Lomm wrote:My Man Godfrey! Looking forward to seeing that in a non-blurry, fuzzy print.
Criterion just announced the release of MY MAN GODFREY on DVD and Blu-ray for September 18! The screen grabs on the Criterion website look fantastic! Details here.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I have wanted a good copy of this one. My current is a TCM airing. It is a family favorite.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."